PDA

View Full Version : Talismans for Controlling an Emotional Reaction

feranaja
09-17-11, 02:19 PM
I'm considering making a talisman that will specifically guide me from anger to calm when I am confronted with certain situations (animal-related) that spark my ire no matter how diligently I work at not reacting. I feel it is time for magical intervention because the effect of forcefully repressing my natural reaction is as bad as letting it out. This is something I have worked on with a wide variety of methods and not without success, but I feel at this time I need something external to focus on. I was just hoping for some suggestions, and to spark a discussion about talismans in general.:)

I'm basically considering using an owl-image - wise, far-seeing, canny - to symbolize the way in which I prefer to react...possibly a small carving or a piece of jewelery...for starters. It might alos be wise in my case to consecrate several things to this purpose - a statue for my desk here, a pouch to keep in my bag for when I go out, a piece of jewelery for meditation...

Ideas are very welcome.

Goaty Glee
09-17-11, 02:40 PM
Fera,

Are you adverse to using sigils? You could create one to function so that it would help you with you Need. You could then fashion it in some way (pendant, painting, whatever) you could also be quite creative with how it is presented (in the shape of an animal for example). I know this is obvious but I'm just thinking that a sigil created in, say the shape of an owl bit be more powerful than just the image itself.

feranaja
09-17-11, 02:44 PM
Yes I am thinking that as well. ...feeling creatively stumped though for some reason. Any tips for opening those channels? Stop working so damn hard, perhaps?

SunSister
09-17-11, 02:57 PM
I was actually thinking about a ring depicting an owl, although I don't know how handy that would be for your work. :) A ring has the benefit of being 'a guiding hand' and the capability of being a force that can control whatever flows out of your hands into the world. The owl would give more wisdom to such interaction with the world, thus pushing your initial response into more acceptable channels of energy.

There might be a possibility to use runes, though. I toyed around with using othila as a template for the owl. May not seem like an obvious choice at first, but I believe there's something to say for it..

feranaja
09-17-11, 02:59 PM
OOh that's intriguing SunSister, I will have a little meditate on that... thank you. I am working on a Birch Wand right now, perhaps engraving the runes and other sigils on it might be helpful??

has anyone else used a specific talisman or similar magic to help with emotional reactions?

Goaty Glee
09-17-11, 03:07 PM
Well when I end up with blockages I turn to the Core by doing a brief meditation then a scribbble Working:

"I have a body but I am more than my body. I experience my body but I am more than my body."
"I have an intellect but I am more than my intellect. I experience a flow of thoughts but I am more than my thoughts."
"I have emotions but I am more than my emotions. I experience my emotions but I am more than my emotions."
"I am a centre of consciousness, I am the Self."

Then take a piece of paper and pen and try a scribble technique. Scribble for 3 seconds with your eyes closed then stop. Take what you see and develop a sigil by focusing on what you Need to accomplish or change.

May not work for you but it might get the creative juices moving.

feranaja
09-17-11, 03:13 PM
Excellent, I will definitely try this one GG. I am planning a Vision Journey to see what i can find in my Astral Temple, all the ideas here and in the Otherworld will come together to form what I need to do. I don't think I will use the wand, but a part of my aspen tree was knocked down by lightening this summer and I am thinking of making some shields ( how perfect for aspen, yes?) and engraving them with various symbol, some for me and some for friends (also make lovely lithomancy boards). A Shield works well, for me [preferable to a wand, rather than direct energy I'd be taking a step back from a situation, hence shielding" from it's impact.
Is this making sense? I need some tea about now...

RoseRed
09-17-11, 03:15 PM
Do you really want a talisman for controlling the emotion or one for transforming the emotion into something positive or useful?

The problem I see with using a talisman for controlling it is that you may end up with so much pent up rage that it could end up being counter-productive.

I'm not much for talismans but I can see candle magic being helpful here. You could consecrate or make a candle specifically for the purpose of releasing this rage. You could inscribe it with the kenaz rune (for harnessed power) and when you feel this rage - light the candle and release it.
http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/kenaz.gif

feranaja
09-17-11, 03:26 PM
Yes, that's more eloquently put - I am already dealing with the side effects of pent up anger. This is related to work stress, and we all have it, but the way in which I conduct my consultations can lead me into a lot of unreasonable pressure (we're looking to change that as well)... I just deal with pressure from all sides, and I've suffered burnout a few times as a result of trying to *just* rationalize away the reactions.

So to be concise, I want to DISSIPATE the reaction, not repress it...definitely.

I've never worked closely with runes but you guys all suggesting them does make sense and might be a gentle prod to study up a little more. :)

SunSister
09-17-11, 03:28 PM
OOh that's intriguing SunSister, I will have a little meditate on that... thank you. I am working on a Birch Wand right now, perhaps engraving the runes and other sigils on it might be helpful??

Certainly for the situations in which you can carry your wand with you. :) The othila-connection I felt when reading your opening post had something to do with ancestral magic. Not magic passed down through your bloodline, but through ones who've done your work and stood at the edge of similar abysses. Fashioning an owl out of that rune would maybe be the quickest shortcut that you can carry to places where your wand may be left behind.

has anyone else used a specific talisman or similar magic to help with emotional reactions?

I have used similar runic magic for some of this, but the strongest magic for me came from using an animal form. I own a lynx pendant that I used when I wanted to observe a situation without being pulled into its midst. Since learning the lesson from the accompanying totem, however, I have had no need of it. :)

RoseRed
09-17-11, 07:27 PM
So to be concise, I want to DISSIPATE the reaction, not repress it...definitely.

I still think that transforming it will be easier than dissipating it. In the transforming of it it will dissipate. Dissipating it forces you to release it. Are you ready for that? It's really a question that only you can answer.

feranaja
09-17-11, 07:58 PM
Indeed, I have worn myself out with various methods to deal with the situation, and came to the conclusion the only way to cope was walk away. That's a crying shame after 15 years of study and experience. I am struggling mostly because of the bombardment factor; it's all day, every day. no amount of intention, focus and so on will keep you going when you get no respite. Thething is very cool-headed compared to me and often says, he'd be in a loony bin if he had to deal with it. Sometimes I sit and tell him stories and he's just speechless. You couldn't make this stuff up, RR. I either have to work some kickass magic on myself, or really, walk away. I won't survive, on a physical level, if I don't find a way, and I'm not about to die for the work. That's for damn sure.
So yeah - I'm ready. <g>

RoseRed
09-17-11, 08:23 PM
alrighty then - let's see what we can come up with.

HRH
09-17-11, 08:57 PM
First, I want to say I'm so sorry this is happening. It's horrible. And there are definite advantages to owl symbolism. I see where you are going with that, but it doesn't feel right, to me, for what you are wanting. Yes, owls are symbolic of wisdom and seeing truth, but you aren't having trouble with that. They are also very strong birds of prey. As a talisman, an owl can serve to focus your anger and make your attack stronger, when you are wanting your anger to dissipate. Have you considered a deer? I see you as having strong ties to deer, anyway, and if I'm right in that, it may make for a more calming influence. As fast as a doe can run, she can take your anger with her, leaving wonder and beauty in her wake. If you are set on a bird, a dove might be better. They are symbolic of love, peace, and calm. If you could carve or create a dove with eyes of a calming stone, (I'm thinking yellow jade or something similarly soothing) I think it might serve you better than owl, for this.

That's just the idea I had. I hesitated to mention it, but I kept thinking about it, and thinking Owl may make it worse. I've worked with Owl for years. (I know it's crazy, but that's the only bird I've never feared! The one that could rip my head off. Go figure.) While communing with owl can have a calming influence, I just find that, for me, Owl intensifies experiences. So, for what it's worth, that's my suggestion.

HRH
09-17-11, 08:58 PM
Then again, I don't know the exact situation, just that there is cruelty involved that is causing you anger. So, I may be off-base.

VibeVoid
09-18-11, 12:35 AM
rubber band on wrist, snap it when you find yourself getting disproportionatly angry to the event taking place.

if it helps keep a stupid stone in your pocket to make it more talisment/amulet like.

HRH
09-18-11, 01:06 AM
stupid stone

Is this just different phrasing for worry stone, or do you not care for stones? The first time I read it, I got one impression, then I went back, and got another. I couldn't resist asking, because it's going to bug me if I don't.

VibeVoid
09-18-11, 01:12 AM
Is this just different phrasing for worry stone, or do you not care for stones? The first time I read it, I got one impression, then I went back, and got another. I couldn't resist asking, because it's going to bug me if I don't.

when someone uses the word talisment or amulet certain ideas, images come to mind of what those things shold be. my post was a attempt (tongue in cheek) to take that idea of what most people would consider a talisment/amulet and put it into a realistic real world context instead of over mystifying everything.

VibeVoid
09-18-11, 01:44 AM
Indeed, I have worn myself out with various methods to deal with the situation, and came to the conclusion the only way to cope was walk away. That's a crying shame after 15 years of study and experience. I am struggling mostly because of the bombardment factor; it's all day, every day. no amount of intention, focus and so on will keep you going when you get no respite. Thething is very cool-headed compared to me and often says, he'd be in a loony bin if he had to deal with it. Sometimes I sit and tell him stories and he's just speechless. You couldn't make this stuff up, RR. I either have to work some kickass magic on myself, or really, walk away. I won't survive, on a physical level, if I don't find a way, and I'm not about to die for the work. That's for damn sure.
So yeah - I'm ready. <g>

when it comes to magick that works primarily with emotional dynamic between multiple people/groups, honestly this is where i shine the brightest.

the trick to casting magick in these situations is to watch and learn how the other person reacts to how they're treating you. not to let them force you into struggling with your own emotional reactions (you will find that they do this because of their own insecurities) and make thier own situation worse or better depending on how you manipulate (those insecurities they project through being negative towards you). what i mean by manipulating in this context is dependent on situation thats presented as the act is taking place, often times the person will project multiple facets of insecurity/fears etc.

feranaja
09-18-11, 03:19 AM
Thanks for your input, VV. I am referring to situations over the Internet. I'm referring to dealing with close-mindedness all the time and people telling me how to do my job, who have NO IDEA what they are talking about. I shall certainly consider your thoughtful idea of a "stupid stone" along with the other ideas suggested here.

ffetcher
09-18-11, 03:50 AM
I actually wear a stone with a (natural) hole through it as a talisman for pretty much the same purpose. A couple of years after we got together, my wife and I had a blazing row, seriously close to breaking up all over something quite petty. We went for a walk by the seashore, a gravel spit, and she found the stone. Now in (Leland's) Aradia, the stone is a lucky piece, so she threw it in the air several times and then gave it to me.

When either of us is really angry and can't figure out quite why (which isn't quite your problem), we'll touch the stone on a thong round my neck, and at the risk of sounding utterly pretentious, it helps transform the anger into strength and compassion.

This goes utterly against one piece of advice I always give people regarding mental triggers, in that it's irreplaceable if it were to be lost. If I were starting again I'd go with something like a bindrune, on the basis that you could visualise it, replace it, or even get a tat.:)

Incidentally, to the extent that we have such things, Owl is my wife's totem, and from the little experience I have of working with Owl I'd agree that it might not be the best choice for transforming anger - but don't for a minute let that stop you if you feel drawn to it.

blessings
ffetcher

RoseRed
09-18-11, 08:42 AM
I have to agree - owl is definitely not right here. I don't know if totem magic is right for this situation. You're dealing entirely with humans and their small mindedness.

One thing that VV's post made me think of is this. Are you wanting to do something that is self work or work magic on the people that you deal with? If it's the latter, I'm think that may violate your position on working magic on others without their consent.

Or I could be totally off base after listening to that creepy music with the screaming elephant in the other thread.

feranaja
09-18-11, 09:29 AM
NO GOD no, it's self work! I can't hope to change the current cultural mindset of know-it-allism and rudeness, not easily and certainly not quickly. I am trying to find a talisman that will accelerate my ability to change my consciousness more readily, from Cat the Dog professional, my business-head, to fera, to the more gentle and forgiving and tolerant self. I find that aspect gets eaten alive in he business world and it's soul destroying. I will use the owl talisman (it really feels right to me on many levels) to shift myself from the chronic irritation I feel over the a more understanding response. Does that make more sense?

RoseRed
09-18-11, 09:31 AM
Absolutely! I think every time you answer a question in this thread that it's really narrowing in on what you hope to achieve.

feranaja
09-18-11, 09:36 AM
Incidentally, to the extent that we have such things, Owl is my wife's totem, and from the little experience I have of working with Owl I'd agree that it might not be the best choice for transforming anger - but don't for a minute let that stop you if you feel drawn to it.

It's not really about transforming anger I suppose, now I've had all this great feedback to ponder (and thank you all VERY much too). It contains an element of that, But it's more about prevention of the response in the first place.The wide perspective of the Owl, the night-seeing acuity, depth of hearing, all those capacities tune me into my own wisdom about the stressful scenarios I have to deal with. Instead of "GOD, can you let me do my job??" I can feel "Ok, this is annoying but she's really worried, her dog does have renal disease and all she's read online is nonsense". I can use a connection to Owl to be silent, to see more widely, to connect with my own wisdom. Some Owls, such as the Barred, are really quite gentle creatures. :)

I'm deeply attuned to many birds at this time i my life. The dove is too passive for this need, the Raven too dark, the Hawk too aggressive, the Blue Jay too silly and playful... interestingly I have had a Phoebe here almost desperate to get my attention, this past 48 hours. She is right outside the house bobbing her tail everytime I look through a window. Something to consider...but, I am souldeep sure that Owl is my bird for this work.

Goaty Glee
09-18-11, 09:47 AM
Fera,

The little exercise I gave you is to help confront a common problem people have and empathic people like yourSelf have even more so.

The body tends to involve itself with the emotions or thoughts.
The thoughts tend to involve themselves with emotions and the body.
The emotions tend to involve themselves with the body and intellect.

In other words, when the Lady (or Lord) of the mansion is gone away the staff start messing about. The cook goes and does some gardening, the gardener goes and works in the smithy. However, when the Lady returns things must return to the respective spots. The exercise is a way of recalling the Lady (the Self) that is not the body, not the emotions, not the intellect. The impact of these aspects of personality and physicality is greatly lessened when the Self is placed back in Her mansion. Runes are great, stones are great, owls are great but if the Self is not in the Mansion then the staff will be running about all willy-nilly and working at odds with what you are trying to do. IMHO.

More than any objects I think anchoring exercises like mentally pausing while opening a door to remember your Self or focusing on your feet while sitting at the computer chair can anchor you to recall your Self. The other triggers are good too, but Self anchoring is essential. I think your Lady has been under a lot of pressure and she needed to let the staff tire themselves out. She's now trying to let the staff know she is coming back. With a whip. LOL

feranaja
09-18-11, 09:51 AM
I hear that. I have actually been using a few techniques to return to mySelf - notably music, certain sites that I identify with Self, and simple grounding similar to what you're describing. I keep a ring here that I use ritually to remind me of my centre. I do breathwork and progressive relaxation. Sometimes it all helps. Other days, i just can't face another second of it, and the cure is, get in the van, drive down to see my horse, wander in Faerieland, and be my True Self....effortlessly.

feranaja
09-19-11, 08:29 AM
update - and again, many thanks to everyone who wrote here, or PMd, and all the support. I rarely like to ask for help, I can be a bit TOO self-reliant these days, but this was worth it. (And I'd still love to see a thread on working with talismans for self direction and master, independent of my issues, hint hint).
But this helped me a great deal - I had a sick day yesterday, theThing went out, and in the enforced quiet hours had a looong think. after sleeping on the issue I woke up with a very clear sense of direction, of the core of the issue and what to do. I started off in this thread by saying, I wasn't sure if I just needed to confront my anger at my situation and control/redirect it better, or if the Universe(for want of a less flaky term) was showing me something. I elaborated a bit on the methods I've used to avoid outbursts of frustration and anger. But in the end, I am always tense and annoyed and unhappy in certain aspects of my work. I've tried mundane changes and moon-cntrol techniques and meditation and prayer and...well, here's the thing; the "Universe" IS saying something to me, and finally I am listening.

I need to make some radical changes in my worklife, and focus on different areas, and I need to do it NOW. The Owl is not my power animal for mastering anger She is my SPirit-guide into the new part of my life. She is Wisdom, Magic - everything I need now. Here's a line from the very first site I found when I googled Owl Totem:

Owl sees and knows the truth. It's ability to navigate through the darkest night and bring back nourishment for itself and others is the foundation of this essence. When you have lost your way, owl essence will guide you back to your proper path and wisdom.

Ah yes, indeed. In struggling to the point of exhaustion with a scenario I could make only minor, band-aid type changes to, I was losing energy and joie de vivre all the time. ESf was my refuge and strength while online - in real life, I could barely LOOK at my office some days. Now I am not throwing away all the education and skill I have acquired with regard to dogs, far from it. It's juts going to go through a period of transmogrification, and I feel the unblocking of my energy just thinking about this. The talisman need is a reinforcer of this new vision - not yet another method of holding in a justifiable, righteous and important anger.
Because I see so much ridiculous (IMO) anger all over the Internet, I resist it's message. this time it was bound to be heard. And I am hearing. And it feels - wonderful.

A couple of weeks ago I had a marvelous reading (astrological) with my teacher, Mara Freeman (just to listen to her incredibly lovely voice for an hour is a treat, never mind all the insights). One thing she emphasizes was with regard to a certain transit of mine - and the message was "If I don;t break the contact, it will be broken for me"..something in my life had outlived usefulness and absolutely needed to be moved away from. I see this now with amazing clarity and one of the things that helped me was this discussion and the great warmth and input from everyone. So, before my dogs scratch holes in the walls trying to get out for their walk, I will cut this short and promise that once the new project is set up you guys will be the first to know.
I will still teach my canine courses and work with animals, but much of it in a different way.
Oh, to have a clone right now to get everything done and quickly!
Thank you again, my Owl and I are very grateful.

MonSno_LeeDra
09-19-11, 09:54 AM
Fera just an aside but I'd say Owl medicine is what is causing you much of your issue. Not just Owl but in its capacity as a shadow totem for all its strengths and positives become a negative that is not shaken with the rising sun and its retreats back into the darkness.

The wide perspective of the Owl, the night-seeing acuity, depth of hearing, all those capacities tune me into my own wisdom about the stressful scenarios I have to deal with. Instead of "GOD, can you let me do my job??" I can feel "Ok, this is annoying but she's really worried, her dog does have renal disease and all she's read online is nonsense". I can use a connection to Owl to be silent, to see more widely, to connect with my own wisdom. Some Owls, such as the Barred, are really quite gentle creatures. :)

Just a gut feeling but two birds come to mind for me when I read this. The first is Swan with its connection to spirit in its white mantle. Its ability to glide across issues as it glides across the water but also detach itself from one boundary and step into another. To shed the dry stiffness of land and seek solice in the cool water yet equally able to shed the cold clamy touch of water and emotions as it steps back into the dryness of land. Then to fidn comfort within as it folds its wings over its head to sleep in comfort or self contained sense of protection.

The other is Raven, possibly black bird / crow but Raven is the imposing force that comes through. Raven is strength of purpose and its ability to soar about the mundane and see far and know what is coming into its area. Yet it is also the messenger that transends the boundaries of the physical and spiritual, to carry messages.

In my mind at the moment Owl, Swan and Raven form a perfect triagnle of energy and movement. Owl brings wisdom and awareness of the immediate and what is within its view. Swan brings the ability to shed emotion and step from the watery grasp to the dry perspective of land or inverse. Raven is the far seerer but also the bringer of messages and able to cross the boundaries of mundane and spiritual.

Yet when in balance and equality the three bring forth all the elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water and Spirit. Now you may ask where is the fire here but it's right before ones eyes. Raven soars to the great flame of the sun just as it soars in the cold flame of the moon, Swan basks in the refection of the great flame upon the waters and see it transmuted in usage, Owl basks in the reflection of the cold flame of the silver moon and its feminine qualities.

If I was to build a charm or model I'd personally try to obtain feathers from all three and make a fan. If not a fan then something along the lines of a stringed item with all three woven to a leather tong that could be attached and hung from the wall or afixed to the neck of a staff or stick.

Just a suggestion for what its worth.

feranaja
09-19-11, 11:12 AM
Fera just an aside but I'd say Owl medicine is what is causing you much of your issue. Not just Owl but in its capacity as a shadow totem for all its strengths and positives become a negative that is not shaken with the rising sun and its retreats back into the darkness.

Just a gut feeling but two birds come to mind for me when I read this. The first is Swan with its connection to spirit in its white mantle. Its ability to glide across issues as it glides across the water but also detach itself from one boundary and step into another. To shed the dry stiffness of land and seek solice in the cool water yet equally able to shed the cold clamy touch of water and emotions as it steps back into the dryness of land. Then to fidn comfort within as it folds its wings over its head to sleep in comfort or self contained sense of protection.

The other is Raven, possibly black bird / crow but Raven is the imposing force that comes through. Raven is strength of purpose and its ability to soar about the mundane and see far and know what is coming into its area. Yet it is also the messenger that transends the boundaries of the physical and spiritual, to carry messages.

In my mind at the moment Owl, Swan and Raven form a perfect triagnle of energy and movement. Owl brings wisdom and awareness of the immediate and what is within its view. Swan brings the ability to shed emotion and step from the watery grasp to the dry perspective of land or inverse. Raven is the far seerer but also the bringer of messages and able to cross the boundaries of mundane and spiritual.

Yet when in balance and equality the three bring forth all the elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, Water and Spirit. Now you may ask where is the fire here but it's right before ones eyes. Raven soars to the great flame of the sun just as it soars in the cold flame of the moon, Swan basks in the refection of the great flame upon the waters and see it transmuted in usage, Owl basks in the reflection of the cold flame of the silver moon and its feminine qualities.

If I was to build a charm or model I'd personally try to obtain feathers from all three and make a fan. If not a fan then something along the lines of a stringed item with all three woven to a leather tong that could be attached and hung from the wall or afixed to the neck of a staff or stick.

Just a suggestion for what its worth.

Interesting take on this, MonSno. I have been working with Swan for a while now, a very important bird in the tradition I'm training in, and a symbol of certain abilities. Susa Morgan Black offers a great deal of info here:
http://www.druidry.org/obod/lore/animal/swan.html

Celtic Tradition
In Celtic tradition the Swan is associated with deities of healing waters and the sun. They are associated with music, love, purity and the soul. They are shape-shifters, can take human form, and have mastered the elements of water, earth and air. They can always be recognized by the gold or silver chain that hangs around their neck.
Among Druids, the Swan represents the soul, and is associated with the Festival of Samhain. The swan aids us in traveling to the Otherworld. Swans are also sacred to Bards, and their skin and feathers were used to make the tugen, the ceremonial Bardic Cloak.
Irish tales
Swans appear throughout Irish folklore. An Otherworldly bird, they are often the disguise of Fairy Women. At certain times of year, a swan maiden can transform herself back into a human, such as Summer Solstice, Beltaine or Samhain, when the veils between the worlds are thin.
The White Swans of the Wilderness were children of the Tuatha de Danaan, who settled Ireland, and became the sidhe after the invasion of the Milesians.
The night Cuchulainn was born, a pair of swans wearing Otherworldly silver chains attacked Emain Macha. In a later tale, the Princess Derbforgaill fell in love with Cuchulainn, and transformed herself and her maidens into swans to be near him. A hunter by nature, he threw a stone at hone, none other that Derbforgaill herself, and brought her down. She transformed back into a woman, and lay bleeding at his feet. Cuchulainn restored her, sucking some of her blood, which rendered him unable to take her as his bride. She subsequently married his son.
In The Dream of Angus Og, the young God fell in love with a woman he saw in his dream, named Caer. So great is his longing for her, that he grew ill. He set out to search for her, and discovered that she is no dream, but a mortal woman under enchantment. She and her sisters are transformed into swans at Samhain, and must remain so for six months, until Beltain. Angus found her at Loch Gel Dracon, where the transformation took place. When he arrived, there were 150 swans, all with Otherworldly silver chains around their necks, and he could not distinguish Caer from the others. Cuchulainn then called out to her, changing into a swan himself. In that shape, he recognized his beloved, and they flew off together, chanting such ethereal music that all who heard it fell into unconsciousness for three days and nights. He brought her home to Brugh na Boinne (Newgrange).
The Children of Lir is the most marvelous swan tale of all. An Irish princessís four brothers were condemned to live as swans for eternity by their jealous step mother, Aoifa, the wife of King Lir. The princessís only hope is to remain mute for seven years while she wove four shirts of flax for her brothers, which will break the enchantment. There are several variations of this tale. In another variation, they were swans for 900 years, and when they were transformed back to humans, upon being baptized by St. Kernoc, the priest of the new religion, and they fell to the earth dead (but their souls were saved).

Owl came to me a couple of weeks back with a gift of seeing through what appears to be blackness or hopelessness, and of making my magic a more prominent part of my life, and livelihood. I have raven friends here whom I feed and who often follow Dan and I on our walks; I have a long-standing relationship to the Morrigan and I'm quite fond of ravens and crows, although they have not been a specific Spirit-guide, they certainly are friends.

Thank you for an intriguing post!
fera

MonSno_LeeDra
09-19-11, 11:25 AM
Owl to me has always been the embodiment of Gen McClellen (sp) of the Civil War on the Union Side. With owl's influence he could see things as they unfolded, understood the vastness and complexities of what he saw and respond to it. Yet he is also the most cursed in its shadow facet. He saw so deeply and greatly that he could not take action upon what he saw as he over analyzed and anticipated what would happen. So all of Owl's influence only served to make him do nothing as he tried to hold until all the picture was displayed before him.

That to me is the danger of Owl medicine. It can be a great source of ensieght and awareness of a situation and all the facets of it. Yet one can become so relient upon it's wisdom and knowledge that they do nothing awaiting for all the info or just the right sign.

That I think is why Swan and Raven so compliment it for it gives a push to it.

feranaja
09-19-11, 11:29 AM
What I've been saying, is; I already HAVE the Swan Medicine active and present, and raven is always accessible. It was Owl I was missing. Since my vision opened up - and the synchronicity is, I had my eyes physically operated on last week - I am much more energized and clear.
:)
I will bear in mind not to become too reliant on Owl, much as I am grateful for the needed vision She brought me. Although some of it very painful, it is always better to not remain in the dark about one's life.

RoseRed
09-19-11, 11:46 AM
I think the saddest part of Owl is being alone. They are solitary. I am such a pack creature that the thought of it saddens me.

I do understand the importance of alone time and being solitary. I just choose for myself not to live that way.

MonSno_LeeDra
09-19-11, 11:48 AM
What I've been saying, is; I already HAVE the Swan Medicine active and present, and raven is always accessible. It was Owl I was missing. Since my vision opened up - and the synchronicity is, I had my eyes physically operated on last week - I am much more energized and clear.
:)
I will bear in mind not to become too reliant on Owl, much as I am grateful for the needed vision She brought me. Although some of it very painful, it is always better to not remain in the dark about one's life.

For myself I understood that. I knew about the Raven medicine in your life but didn't know of or recall the swan medicine in your life. I recall there was another person who was being touched by swan medicine a while back that we spoke of and started a thread about it.

I justy added the info on McClellan as he was an example to me of Owl medicine that was a true shadow totem in usage and the negative way it influenced so though I would add it.

feranaja
09-19-11, 12:01 PM
I think the saddest part of Owl is being alone. They are solitary. I am such a pack creature that the thought of it saddens me.

I do understand the importance of alone time and being solitary. I just choose for myself not to live that way.

There is nothing I need, crave, love and cherish in life more than my solitude. If I do not access significant time alone, I'm about as miserable a human being as you would care to see. It is second only to air and water for me.
That's away from HUMANS.

I cannot stand to be separate from my dogs, cats, horse etc.

RoseRed
09-19-11, 12:48 PM
k - that's weird - my last post got eaten.

Anyways - to rephrase - I would lose my mind if it wasn't for my alone/solitary time.

I choose to live with other humans as I really don't enjoy living in a solitary environment.

ffetcher
09-19-11, 02:14 PM
No point in quoting anyone in particular, but somewhere along the line I may have got[ten] a new understanding of why my wife can work with Owl and I find it difficult.

I'm human-gregarious. Although I can get along on my own, I find it difficult/unnatural and crave other people's company, which may be why a few people think I'm a reasonable folklorist: I just enjoy talking with people FTF. Also, Owl strikes me as being a bit sneaky, which I can do but find kind of hard.

A friend who does parodies of such things once described Owl's special characteristic as being 'sneaking up behind someone using the power of silent flight whilst all the time screeching "look at me, I'm coming"'. I sort of understand. But then I sort of don't.

Don't mind me, I'm just wool-gathering. I don't even do bindrunes that well, so I'd even have to sub-contract that. Someone else on ESF could certainly do it better than my sub-contract as well.

blessings
ffetcher