PDA

View Full Version : Daily Ogham Stave Thread: Pull an Ogham Daily for Wisdom, Knowledge & Learning

LadyOfTheTrees
01-13-14, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone!

I thought this might be kind of a fun thread idea for those of us involved in Druidry. The idea is, instead of pulling a daily tarot card, you pull a daily Ogham stave. Post what you pulled, and, if you want to, tell us what it means to you. (If you don't have a set of Ogham staves, you can make or buy a set, or in the meantime, you can use a randomizer on a website - however I should note that it automatically draws a 3 stave past/present/future - You could always consider the stave in the present position to be the stave of the day, or even examine all three… However you feel moved to use it… See: http://www.pixelations.com/ogham/content/query.html)

LadyOfTheTrees
01-13-14, 04:16 PM
I'll go first… I stated a query, "What lessons and wisdom do the trees wish to share with and teach me about today?" I pulled…

Saille/Willow (Reversed)

DonelleBeira
02-11-14, 08:28 AM
I asked about Squirt and was given -

The Past:
Vine

Unlocking
A key to the situation's past was within; it is not altogether a result of external circumstance. Look back with this in mind, and be resolute. Guard yourself against being misled by inaccurate memories, or a desire to believe something that may not be entirely true.

The eleventh Ogham tree, and the first of the third grouping, is vine. Since the grapevine is not native to the British Isles, it is possible that this tree was originally associated with bramble, such as blackberry. In any case, "in vino veritas," and vine symbolizes the truth that can be found inside oneself, with bold and uninhibited examination. There is, however, a risk of self-deception or indulgence.

The Present:
Oak

A strong door
Strength is yours in the situation, and the ability to make the decisions needed- and to make them correctly. Decide which doors need to be opened, which closed, and which left as they now are.
The oak is the seventh tree of the Ogham, and its symbol is a door. Strong and enduring, it can both open to allow passage, and close to prevent movement and to protect. For this reason, the oak symbolizes strong and appropriate boundaries.

The Future:
Birch

A new beginning
A new beginning will change the situation dramatically when it arrives. Much will be different then, so it would be wise to anticipate this by resolving old business, enabling you to truly begin anew.
The first of the Ogham trees, and traditionally the first to have Ogham carved upon it, birch symbolizes beginnings. As both a protector and a gateway to the Otherworld, it also indicates good fortune. There is some risk of hastiness and rashness as well; while good luck can compensate, foresight is also of benefit.

LadyOfTheTrees
02-11-14, 08:28 PM
I asked about Squirt and was given -

The Past:
Vine

Unlocking
A key to the situation's past was within; it is not altogether a result of external circumstance. Look back with this in mind, and be resolute. Guard yourself against being misled by inaccurate memories, or a desire to believe something that may not be entirely true.

The eleventh Ogham tree, and the first of the third grouping, is vine. Since the grapevine is not native to the British Isles, it is possible that this tree was originally associated with bramble, such as blackberry. In any case, "in vino veritas," and vine symbolizes the truth that can be found inside oneself, with bold and uninhibited examination. There is, however, a risk of self-deception or indulgence.

The Present:
Oak

A strong door
Strength is yours in the situation, and the ability to make the decisions needed- and to make them correctly. Decide which doors need to be opened, which closed, and which left as they now are.
The oak is the seventh tree of the Ogham, and its symbol is a door. Strong and enduring, it can both open to allow passage, and close to prevent movement and to protect. For this reason, the oak symbolizes strong and appropriate boundaries.

The Future:
Birch

A new beginning
A new beginning will change the situation dramatically when it arrives. Much will be different then, so it would be wise to anticipate this by resolving old business, enabling you to truly begin anew.
The first of the Ogham trees, and traditionally the first to have Ogham carved upon it, birch symbolizes beginnings. As both a protector and a gateway to the Otherworld, it also indicates good fortune. There is some risk of hastiness and rashness as well; while good luck can compensate, foresight is also of benefit.

Birch is my favorite. It's considered to be the tree that first shows green leaves at the very entrance to Spring. I have two of them in my front yard and have been eagerly watching to see when the green leaves start appearing - and it's true, they do start to come around before any of the other tree species. What a nice pick for the future - lucky you!

feranaja
02-12-14, 01:54 PM
I think also of prophesy with Vine; I see this Ogham in the position of the past as referring both to the "harvest" element of Muin (Squirt, meaning the good happy days of her life) and you ( the groundwork of who you are becoming, a prophetic element). Duir in my opinion is self explanatory, there is much strength and endurance asked of you both right now.

With Beith, so much to celebrate. I might recommend working deeply with her right now, as the year unfolds - explore her Medicine, various species, make a tool ( a wand? a besom?) with any gifts you find. I'd be most actively engaged with Birch at this time - she is the Way-shower, and the key to regeneration.

feranaja
03-30-14, 03:33 PM
Blackthorn, today.

Ogham Oracle
Straif (ST)29
Drawing a Blackthorn stave or card indicates the actions of fate in your life, something that cannot be avoided but must be faced and dealt with. Blackthorn gives you the strength to accept and persevere in the face of adversity. The Sloe berry sweetens after the first trial of winter, the frost. Accepting fate and adversity as a challenge, and making it work for you, results in an unexpected sweetness in your life.
Blackthorn can also herald the presence of the darker deities in your life, such as the Irish Morrigan and Dagda. Again, this is a sign of the spiritual strength and support that is available to you if you pick up the gauntlet. It is the one of the trees associated with the Bean Sidhe and the Dubh Sidhe.‘Straif also offers initiation into the mysteries of self-conquest and transcendence.’30 Daring to travel with the darker deities of the Celtic pantheon is a spiritual adventure at the deepest level! Blackthorn opens the pathway to Underworld initiation. Meditating under a Blackthorn bush during the Samhain season can put you in touch with powerful Underworld deities, such as the Morrigan. Wear a protective amulet with the Blackthorn ogham, sloe berries, or a blackthorn wand, if you choose to do so.

Blackthorn is the tree, which helps us to face the necessity of our own death. In many magical practices, we are encouraged to face death, in order to abate our morbid fear of it. Initiations are often re-enactments of our own death and rebirth.

On the negative side, Blackthorn can indicate a persistently negative, resentful attitude that draws negative experiences to you. Blackthorn can indicate a persistent and morbid fear of death. How you ‘frame’ your life is how your life plays out. Blackthorn can be seen as a reminder not to frame your life in negative scenes, but re-interpret them in a more positive way, to draw more positive experiences."
http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-blackthorn

That last bit is verging on New-Agey for me, although I can take the deeper meaning. :)

LadyOfTheTrees
03-31-14, 03:55 AM
For this daily draw, I decided to transpose the meaning of my tree stave from the book I use. I really would very much recommend this book to anyone studying the Ogham. The following is to give an example of what you'd find in this book if you purchased it. You're reading from, Ogam: The Celtic Oracle of the Trees: Understanding, Casting & Interpreting the Ancient Druidic Alphabet by Paul Rhys Mountfort (available on Amazon). The following is from pages 72-74.

Saille (Willow)
Pronunciation: SAHL-yuh
Names: saille, sail
Botanical Names: Salix spp., esp. Salix alba (also known as the sally-tree)
Sound: s
Elaborations on the Ogam Names: Willow - the color of a lifeless one, owing to the resemblance of its color to a dead person
Word Ogam of Morainn mac Moín - the hue of the lifeless, hue of one dead
Word Ogam of Cú Chulainn - equals beginning of loss
Word Ogam of Óengus - equals strength of bees

Visualization: The moon caught in the branches of of a willow tree that grows beside a silver moon

Meaning: Saille s a tree-letter of feeling and intuition. This is a time of particular sensitivity, both to outside influences and to the internal realm of sensations and impressions. Like a seasoned seafarer, you are able to sense the changing tides of events by instinct and experience. While it is important to be receptive to the flow, take care not to become swamped by the flux of impressions.

Saille's description of having the, 'hue of the lifeless,' (i.e. white or pale), identifies it with the moon, which, like the willow itself, has obvious associations with water. This ogam consequently corresponds to in divination to the 'feminine' qualities of intuitive perception, emotion and cyclical progress.

The 'lifeless hue' of the the Word Ogams also links saille to the spirit world and psychic realms, for willow was traditionally associated with witchcraft, divination, and clairvoyant states. Coming into your own in these areas takes you into a domain of knowing that lies beyond rational explanation. This leads to insight and empowerment.

Celtic cultures acknowledged the powers of seership as a natural part of the fabric of life. Individuals with, 'the Sight,' were well respected and frequently consulted. Such highly developed powers of perception were actively cultivated through training and exercise, as their value to the individual and community was and still is great indeed.

Being open to these currents is is healthy and natural. It also leads you to feeling your way into situations, and thus to emotional sensitivity. Yet at this time you may be so aware of other people's states of minds that they begin to impinge on you. Take care to avoid being bogged down in the watery realms; without some firm ground, the waves can overwhelm us.

Saille is also sometimes identified as an ogam of love, but it tends to relate more to bewitching dreams and watery illusions of love than to literal relationships. In romance there may be a tendency to fantasize and project imagined qualities on the other person, though when well placed this ogam may also signal the development of a deep rapport between partners.

Reversed, saille may signal that you are out of your depth. Perhaps you're venturing too deep without sufficient support or internal stability. The inner tides rise to claim us as easily as real waves. Be warned that a person can drown in the watery element or float perilously adrift in the caves of unconsciousness. Now may be the time to fight your way to the surface!

Keywords:

Intuition, feeling, lunar influences; the spirit world, witchcraft, divination, psychic states; feeling, emotional sensitivity, perceptions; in love, dreams and fantasy, bewitchment

Keywords (Reversed): Being out of your depth, overwhelmed, lost; need to surface for light and air

(If you were to continue, you'd read "Natural Characteristics, Storylines, and Folklore and Magic …The first is about the tree from a botanical perspective. Storylines has references from Celtic mythology - specifically for Saille, Ceridwen is a character with a connection to this tree. Folklore and Magic has information on herbal usages and magickal properties).

Hope someone out there enjoyed this… It took a long time to type it all up!

LadyOfTheTrees
03-31-14, 04:11 AM
Questions for those using this thread:

Where did you get your Ogham staves from?
Did you make them or buy them?
If you made them, did you use all twenty different sacred woods or did you make them out of what was available or something you preferred instead?
If you're using cards instead of staves, what deck?
What books do you own/use on interpreting them?

For myself - I bought mine, but not through some cheapy company or anything. A man in Great Britain collected the wood from each of the twenty sacred trees only as fallen branches and collected as many as he could from sites like Stonehenge. He also made the coracle they're in. They were made with great care and good energy. I do have cards, too. I used to use The Green Man Tree Oracle: Ancient Wisdom From The Greenwood by John Matthews and Will Worthington (five stars, two thumbs up by the way). The main book I use for interpretation is the one I quoted in the previous post. I also have Omens, Oghams & Oracles: Divination in the Druidic Tradition by Richard Webster. This book has some erroneous information in it so I don't use it that much but it's an interesting read and the author has an entertaining written voice to read. For the most part however, he is accurate. I'm looking at getting Ogha: The Secret Language of the Druids by Rev. Robert Lee "Skip" Ellison, The Book of Ogham by Michael Kelly, The The Celtic Tree Oracle by Edred Thorsson, Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom by Erynn Rowan Laurie, and Celtic Tree Mysteries: Practical Druid Magic & Divination by Stephen Blamires. If you own any of these or use any other titles that are good/supposedly good, please post the titles :)

feranaja
04-04-14, 11:43 AM
Questions for those using this thread:

Where did you get your Ogham staves from?
Did you make them or buy them?
If you made them, did you use all twenty different sacred woods or did you make them out of what was available or something you preferred instead?
If you're using cards instead of staves, what deck?
What books do you own/use on interpreting them?

For myself - I bought mine, but not through some cheapy company or anything. A man in Great Britain collected the wood from each of the twenty sacred trees only as fallen branches and collected as many as he could from sites like Stonehenge. He also made the coracle they're in. They were made with great care and good energy. I do have cards, too. I used to use The Green Man Tree Oracle: Ancient Wisdom From The Greenwood by John Matthews and Will Worthington (five stars, two thumbs up by the way). The main book I use for interpretation is the one I quoted in the previous post. I also have Omens, Oghams & Oracles: Divination in the Druidic Tradition by Richard Webster. This book has some erroneous information in it so I don't use it that much but it's an interesting read and the author has an entertaining written voice to read. For the most part however, he is accurate. I'm looking at getting Ogha: The Secret Language of the Druids by Rev. Robert Lee "Skip" Ellison, The Book of Ogham by Michael Kelly, The The Celtic Tree Oracle by Edred Thorsson, Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom by Erynn Rowan Laurie, and Celtic Tree Mysteries: Practical Druid Magic & Divination by Stephen Blamires. If you own any of these or use any other titles that are good/supposedly good, please post the titles :)

I have all those books, but I don't have a full set of staves yet.I had hoped to make them, but there will need to be substitutes. For example, I have the first line, actually right within walking distance, but with the rest I am missing several (no Hazel here, no Blackthorn or Gorse, for example). I would need to be very certain of my substitutes, and that's not always easy. My intuition from the trees has to line up with what I know about them; I want to use maple, elm, ironwood, hornbeam, beech, lilac, white pine and cherry, to start, but have not quite ascertained where they go.
I have hawthorn, oak, apple, elder, fir, aspen, yew, willow, ash, alder, rowan, birch... but making them is a large undertaking I have not, to date,set time aside form.
So I may buy a set from SpiritofOld soon, too.

Book and card-wise I use the White Goddess, the Celtic Tree Oracle and Fred Hageneder's Tree Angels most of the time. But by now I have a deep sense of the meanings anyway, both based on research and personal experience, so, as with tarot, it's not so much a question of where I look things up, but what I know. Gorse, today, reflects some deeply personal issues as well as the classic meanings - I believe with any oracle, as our knowledge deepens, we grow more personal and more able to contextualize. What Gorse means to me will differ from what it means for someone else, but still show certain connecting ideas. :)

feranaja
04-05-14, 08:40 AM
The other option is, if finding whole set of the woods is impossible, I like Sarah lawless' take on the staves; pick a wood and then make everything from the one, but illustrate. I wonder who hard these wold be do do?

http://lolair.deviantart.com/art/Detailed-Ogham-Fews-53711826

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs14/i/2007/111/b/d/Detailed_Ogham_Fews_by_Lolair.jpg

LadyOfTheTrees
04-13-14, 05:47 PM
Oh wow, those are LOVELY! I love, love, love those! In fact, I'd like to have a set of those. Especially since I have to take such care of my SpiritOfOldUK set, I don't use them as much as I'd like to because I don't want them to accidentally break or the dog to get one, etc. etc. If you do order from him though, he is obviously a very special person - the energy from the staves he made for me, his actual energy specifically, was very intact, pure, and how would you say… Nature-y. (That is, before I smudged them of course). His handiwork is also really good and it's neat that he puts out the effort to get the wood from sacred sites.

feranaja
04-13-14, 06:09 PM
Oh, LoT - Sarah is not making them anymore. Have a look at her stuff - it's amazing and drool-worthy. I keep saying one day I'm going try my hand at some. But her work is exceptional, I don't know why she's stopped.. http://lolair.deviantart.com/gallery/

I don't know Lou but I do have a pendant from SpiritofOld I bought when I committed to the Avalonian study. It definitely has a magical feel. I might just order some staves from him as well.
I bought a small chalice made from Preseli bluestone, from Simon Lilly, THAT was an indulgence but I friggin love it so much! We should start a shopping thread, lol. I am sitting here trying so hard not to buy 5 or 6 books on Asatru.
http://img1.etsystatic.com/020/0/6376239/il_170x135.485475063_jkuz.jpg

LadyOfTheTrees
04-16-14, 02:11 AM
Lol. I'm always trying to restrain myself from ordering tons of books!