PDA

View Full Version : Cartomancy anyone?

gracesong
03-27-10, 11:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here reads regular playing cards.
Here're a few sites with different interpretations of the suits.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html

http://www.serenapowers.com/playingcards2.html#meanings

or this one, which takes a different approach from the others:
http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/426

StevieHummingbird
03-27-10, 11:51 PM
I did for awhile, divination isn't really me but when I was into tarot even though they say regular cards are harder to read I found them easier.

gracesong
03-27-10, 11:59 PM
That's interesting. Why did you find regular cards easier than tarot?
also, what interpretations did you use?

StevieHummingbird
03-28-10, 12:08 AM
Humm well I was also very into numerology at the time I kinda went b/w interpreting them from that and what I found b/w a few books and websites and taking the numbers numerology and what I have learned in the past from tarot suits and putting them reg. suits. Kinda putting together what I have learned I guess.
I am not really sure but I think it had to do with the whole picture thing, your supposed to learn from the pics and all in tarot I mean partially and I always failed in that area. That and I never cared much for the major arcana. Best done without it...:p

Sylver
03-28-10, 05:25 AM
Those links you have posted I have seen before, but personally I find it easier to develop my own meanings. And since I have the experience I do with tarot I find using playing cards rather easy .

gracesong
03-28-10, 11:39 AM
I've heard interpreting the cards, playing cards, has a great deal to do with context. For instance, a five of spades next to a four of hearts can mean something different if it's also neara two of diamonds.
Is that truer for cards more than for tarot?

Broomflower
03-28-10, 11:43 AM
I think it depends on your reading style.

It's not like the card police are going to come yell at you for doing it wrong.

I use playing cards, tarot, oracle decks, and many other divination methods and tools.

StevieHummingbird
03-28-10, 01:31 PM
I've heard interpreting the cards, playing cards, has a great deal to do with context. For instance, a five of spades next to a four of hearts can mean something different if it's also neara two of diamonds.
Is that truer for cards more than for tarot?
The way I did it was true.
Or even have double amounts of the same number could affect it.

AutumnFire
03-28-10, 01:50 PM
I've always seen tarot cards as a way of focusing one's own psychic abilities. Therefore, using plain cards can be as easy as using tarot cards. Although I find the extra cards and imagery associated with tarot cards make them easier to read.

BTW - I first looked at this thread expecting to find divination with maps (kinda a form of dowsing or something) - lol! I never realized there was a specific term for using playing cards.

Cloaked Raven
03-28-10, 01:57 PM
I use regular cards instead of tarot when I do a reading too... The method I use was passed on to me by my husband's great aunt, she learned from her mother.

It's been a while since I've done a reading... I should dust off the cards and see if I can find the list of meanings, etc to refresh my memory.

gracesong
03-28-10, 03:57 PM
I use regular cards instead of tarot when I do a reading too... The method I use was passed on to me by my husband's great aunt, she learned from her mother.

It's been a while since I've done a reading... I should dust off the cards and see if I can find the list of meanings, etc to refresh my memory.

Oh, yay! If you ever find the meanings and remember the methods, please do share!
I'm not as confident in interpreting the cards, and I guess i could be a bit more creative in creating spreads intuitively. :)
I don't like to use large spreads, spreads containing more than four or five cards, but how do you glean detail from them and use the numerology and suits to their fullest?

Cloaked Raven
03-28-10, 04:10 PM
I will. I do remember some of the meanings of the cards and the combinations but not all of them.

Personally, I don't use numerology to actually figure out the spreads. I just learned what each card and combination means and how to do the spreads for one reading.

One reading has several different spreads into it and takes about a half hour to do. We do three straight line spreads, one wheel and one marriage bed, all within one reading.

I do remember some of the meanings of the cards off the top of my head:

Face cards:

Queen of Hearts: Represents a blond haired, light colored eyed and skinned woman.
King of Hearts: Represents a married blond haired, light colored and skinned eyed man.
Jack of Hearts: Represents an unmarried blond haired, light colored eyed and skinned male or a male child.

Queen of Spades: Represents a woman with dark hair, eyes and skin.
King of Spades: Represents a married man with dark hair, eyes and skin.
Jack of Spades: Represents an unmarried man or male child with dark hair, eyes and skin.

Queen of Diamonds: Represents an elderly or albino woman.
King of Diamonds: Represents an elderly or albino married man.
Jack of Diamonds: Represents an elderly unmarried man, an albino man or an albino male child.

Queen of Clubs: Represents a medium colored woman (dark hair and light skin).
King of Clubs: Represents a medium colored married man.
Jack of Clubs: Represents a medium colored unmarried man or a medium colored male child.

That's all I can remember for now but I will post more when/if I can find my notes on them!!

hunter
03-28-10, 07:21 PM
This thread makes me want to spend more time with a regular deck, than with my new tarot deck :-0

Bartmanhomer
03-28-10, 09:37 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here reads regular playing cards.
Here're a few sites with different interpretations of the suits.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html

http://www.serenapowers.com/playingcards2.html#meanings

or this one, which takes a different approach from the others:
http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/426

Sweet I want to try it out! I'm going to make a thread about testing people reading with regular cards.

gracesong
03-28-10, 11:04 PM
wow, never thought this thread would inspire someone! lol :D
Yeah, we should have a thread comparing both tarot and cards to see the differences in the results and also the information that's gleaned from each one.
Happy reading!