EarthSong Forums

EarthSong Forums (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Qabalah (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Hebrew & Gematria (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10741)

SunSister 02-13-11 06:48 AM

Hebrew & Gematria

The Hebrew alphabet consists of 22 letters, of which five use different forms at the end of a word. Some people believe that these letters were the tools of God during the creation of this universe, which is a viewpoint that you will see in many texts about kabbalah. :) The language itself consists only of consonants and is written from right to left. In the traditional form of Hebrew, vowels are indicated by weak consonants such as aleph. (A system of vowel points, called niqqud-diacritics, was developed in order to be able to indicate vowels in a different way. :) I learned a little bit of Hebrew with the use of this system, although I am far more fond of not using that.)

Mystics are also interested in the type of letter in a word: single letters (with one sound), double letters (hard/soft pronounciation depending on the context) and mother letters. The stable single letters are seen as the cornerstones of creation, whereas the double letters usually represent the male and female aspects of God. The mother letters represent the elements of creation, are the three dimensions of space and form the prime divine trinity.

Every letter of the Hebrew alphabet has a numerical value. The total calculated value of a word can offer several different meanings and relationships to other words. This practice of calculation and the ascribing of numerical values to letters is called gematria. Gematria was, and is, used in the study of the Thora in order to discover connections between the words used in the text. The understanding of these connections is said to help understand creation and God. The basic list of numerical values in relation to their letter is as follows:

1: Aleph (mother)
2: Beth (double)
3: Gimel (double)
4: Daleth (double)
5: He (single)
6: Waw (single)
7: Zayin (single)
8: Heth (single)
9: Teth (single)
10: Yod (single)
20: Kaph (double)
30: Lamed (single)
40: Mem (mother)
50: Nun (single)
60: Samech (single)
70: Ayin (single)
80: Pe (double)
90: Tsade (single)
100: Qoph (single)
200: Resh (double)
300: Shin (mother)
400: Tav (double)

For extra reference:

http://i53.tinypic.com/sc9f8x.gif

The list of numerical references and the basic explanation of gematria was found in Jeremy Rosen's book Kabbalah Inspirations (ISBN 978-1844831920). Spellings of the letters vary mildly within different sources, but I trust that you can work your way through this post regardless of that. I wanted this post to be accessible to everybody who's thought "hey, what is this about?" whenever they saw gematria or the significance of the Hebrew language pop up inside and outside of this section, so I hope that this goal has been met. :)

When you choose to add to this post, please be a darling and cite your sources or possible additional references others will be able to use. This helps keep the dialogue open and information available to all who wish to learn. Many thanks in advance!

The Black Elf 02-13-11 04:13 PM

Re: Hebrew & Gematria

I am obliged to you for explaining this Sunsister,Gemetria is something which interests me greatly when applied to any long established culture of great duration,semetic or non semetic.Does Gemetria apply to Greek aswell?or arabic?

Do you ever apply gemetria to the dutch alphabet?

As the English Alphabet,as designed in Germany 12c,was first applied to Mother tongue Scots aka Inglis the Royal language of the Scots in a spell it as you say it manner,do you think that gemetria applies to more modern languages?

Inglis was spell it as you say it until around the time the Scots Court moved to England & modern English came about.Modern English was not fully standardised until Samuel Johnstons's sometimes very sad & lacking effort at a dictionary 300 years ago,some of which is still very poorly defined given the apparent level of ignorance at the time.

Can gemetria apply to such a modern language?

SunSister 02-14-11 04:41 AM

I actually saw something yesterday that related something similar to the Greek alphabet. Seeing as I have never learned Greek, however, I don't know how much of it is actually applicable. :) I have never attempted to apply it to a modern language, either, for the following reason..

Gematria, for me, is something that purely relates to the Hebrew alphabet. The idea of the letters being the structure of the universe and a direct pathway to understanding God is a rarity that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. The explanation I wrote above is probably the easiest to comprehend, because all the theory about gematria has the tendency to grow over one's head. (It really doesn't hurt to learn some Hebrew before you start with this, trust me.) I don't claim to be an expert on the subject matter, because I'm still learning, but I'll share what I know and hopefully we can take it from there.

Kokaba'al 02-14-11 05:51 AM

I think it's theoretically possible to put a Gematria system together for any language/alphabet, with a bit of work and a lot of cross-referencing. There already exist several versions of it, though as far as I know they all have an initial basis in the Hebrew alphabet. At least, I'm aware of English and Simple Gematria alongside Hebrew - they do give different results however, so there is a gap in interpretations.

Blackwolf 02-14-11 11:19 AM

From my Tradition , and what I know...

There is no time on the other side...

And , on this side , is the moment of entanglement ,
of what is commonly called big bang...

Therefore all languages have that potential...

I have shown students , I can add a Spanish , Finnish ,
Swahili , word , in Runic , and using Obri - Runic
gematria , show how the word , plus what is said it
means in the language , adds within the boundaries
of our code arrangements...

Ie : took the Spanish word for fin , added it in Runic ,
then the words , via gematria : "Spanish Word For Fin Is"...

And it added to what we call our mother and father pillars ,
exactly...not even a plus one , minus one difference...;)

You might choose to as well , look into David Alan Hulse's
work with languages , number , and gematria...

( Eastern Mysteries , is the other half )...see below on link page...

Greek , Sanskrit , Tibetan , etc...there are many systems...

Just trying to assist...:)

The Black Elf 02-14-11 12:58 PM

What about Latin?

as for mither tongue scots*spel it like ye say it* Inglis,there is such a variety of spelling for just one word.Sounds torturous,even I baulk at this.

the blak elf.

Blackwolf 02-14-11 03:16 PM

Latin is in his book...click on link , and read below...

SunSister 02-15-11 08:36 AM

That looks like a fantastic book, Blackwolf. My thanks for posting it. :) It would be very interesting to explore the options for gematria in languages other than Hebrew. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to focus on anything of the sort right now. :(

I'm currently working my way through a Dutch version of Sepher Yetzirah, so I sometimes have to be really careful not to mention the Dutch stuff. :) I unfortunately don't have a link to the version my book was translated from, but I have found this text-only version for your enjoyment. The section I am meditating on right now is Chapter Two. It can be a bit of a daunting text at first, but it really does provide a fantastic insight into the significance of the Hebrew language within kabbalah when you take your time with it.

The Black Elf 02-16-11 10:46 AM

text is super sunsis! Been wanting to read this since-

4. Ten are the numbers of the ineffable Sephiroth, ten and not nine, ten and not eleven. Learn this wisdom, and be wise in the understanding of it, investigate these numbers, and draw knowledge from them, fix the design in its purity, and pass from it to its Creator seated on his throne.

from way back in the DIYHKM thread,I see that mastery of *the numerations* is mentioned in the 9th path.

*The Ninth Path is the Pure intelligence so called because it purifies the Numerations, it proves and corrects the designing of their representation, and disposes their unity with which they are combined without diminution or division.*

Seems like it could be relevent to Gemetria? or does Gemetria figure somewhere else as being *relevent*?

SunSister 02-16-11 01:19 PM

You should really get the copy of this that was translated by Stenring one day, Black Elf. :) I think that all the additional diagrams and tables in that version will be very much to your liking. It's a bit difficult to wade through, though, so I actually used a Dutch translation of Israel Regardie's The Tree of Life as a companion to my earlier reading of the text.

I don't precisely know the thread you're talking about (if you could give me a link, that'd be great) but I do think that what you say is related to this topic. I see gematria as omnipresent in kabbalah when you start to become aware of it. The Hebrew language itself is so inexplicably connected with the act of divine creation, but the gematria describes the glue that holds all of those building blocks together. Something that is seemingly unrelated may be related when seen through the eyes of one who's filled with knowledge of gematria. :)

Current time: 08:37 PM (GMT -4)