EarthSong Forums

EarthSong Forums (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ritual Magic (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ritual Clothes (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3269)

Brigidrose 08-19-09 05:38 PM

Ritual Clothes

What do you where when doing one of your rituals?

Do you bath first with certain oils and scents?

Do you preform them without clothes?

When giving a Reiki treatment or when giving energy transfers to people learning Reiki we do a simple fast, for 10 days, no alcohol or drugs, light diet. We wear white or light clothes. I have bent the rules on some of this, but I try to keep it as close to the original as possible.

Blackcat 08-19-09 05:45 PM

Re: Ritual Clothes

I don't have an answer I am also curious on this. I have read that in ritual magick the clothing should be only natural materials (i.e. no synthetic), and I think I read something about metal.. is this accurate?

Nesta 08-19-09 05:55 PM

I wear my pj's because they're comfy. I don't cleanse specifically for a ritual. I took my clothes off during my dedication, it's the only time my clothing was an actual aspect of ritual.

I fast quite regularly but again not in conjunction with a specific ritual. It certainly has an effect though.

I've been called lazy, which I'm not. It's just that I like to keep things as simple as possible. This feels like a mark of respect and that's my choice.

I'd say that anything goes. If I felt it was right to do the funky chicken I'd do it.

Brigidrose 08-19-09 06:00 PM

Yes, clothing should be as natural, as you can get it. I bend those for the attunment session, but mostly someone always has something cotton.
About the metal, I had made an altar out of an old computer desk, and it has some really cool scrolled metal, on the sides, but its mostly wood. Then I read that it should be completely wood. Its more for decoration and a place to keep my sacred items right now.

Brigidrose 08-19-09 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nesta (Post 60629)
I wear my pj's because they're comfy. I don't cleanse specifically for a ritual. I took my clothes off during my dedication, it's the only time my clothing was an actual aspect of ritual.

I fast quite regularly but again not in conjunction with a specific ritual. It certainly has an effect though.

I've been called lazy, which I'm not. It's just that I like to keep things as simple as possible. This feels like a mark of respect and that's my choice.

I'd say that anything goes. If I felt it was right to do the funky chicken I'd do it.

I don't think your lazy, I feel the same way. :)

Brigidrose 08-19-09 06:04 PM

When I do the Reiki attunment I feel I have to follow as close as I can. With my rituals at home for spells and intentions, I have been known to say thing in the shower :)

Nesta 08-19-09 06:09 PM

In the shower, when I'm washing dishes, when I'm on the toilet even. Anything works for me.

aedria 08-19-09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigidrose (Post 60619)
What do you where when doing one of your rituals?

Do you bath first with certain oils and scents?

Do you preform them without clothes?

Although I do have a couple of ritual robes, I generally work skyclad. If it is high magick I bathe in hyssop prior to the ritual, otherwise it's just au naturale. Often I do anoint myself with oil of abramelin. Very often I burn sage prior to banishing.

Nyarlatbrotep 08-19-09 06:31 PM

Old smelly gym shorts and a t-shirt. The smellier, the better.

Daedralord 08-19-09 06:42 PM

Depends on the intensity of the ritual though I realize this may seem to mark some rituals as "unimportant" which they definitely are not to me.

For big rituals I have a full ritual bath and bless and consecrate the water I may add salts and oils. I don't have a robe but I wear comfortable clothes I set aside for magic. I do want a robe though...

Anyway even for daily rituals I always wash my face and hands and feel the "stains" accumulated during the day washing away with all cares and worries. I may sometimes do daily rituals in regular clothes or even in my pj's.

As for natural materials. It would be best I have also heard that certain materials may effect the magic. Silk may be a good insulator of energy and usually a robe should not have buttons because it restricts energy flow. All sorts of requirements but I have never really given thought as to their logic and reason so can't really comment.

Current time: 02:09 PM (GMT -4)