EarthSong Forums

EarthSong Forums (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shamanism (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Spirit Spouse a different take on it (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11715)

MonSno_LeeDra 06-04-11 11:29 PM

Spirit Spouse a different take on it

Within the folds of Shamanism is the notion of a "Spirit Spouse". While the most common is the Spirit Wife there are also accounts of a Spirit Husband. Yet there are also other facets of the Spirit Spouse concept that are to be found as well. Most people are probably aware of the Spirit Spouse known as a Succubus or Incubus, especially in the Christian concept of the usage.

Yet here is another variation that might be of interest to you.

Quote:

According to the Baule, all people have a spirit spouse who they married in the spiritual world (blolo) before being born into the physical world. a female spirit spouse is called blolo bia, while the male spirit spouse is termed blolo bian. The spouse follows the person into the physical realm when they are born, and can greatly impact the life of their spouse on earth, as well as spread good fortune to his or her children. Ultimately, the spirit spouse and its figurative representations reflect the beauty of the marital bond between a man and a woman, and also represent fertility and fecundity.
http://academics.smcvt.edu/africanar...2/homepage.htm

Adamantea 06-04-11 11:56 PM

Re: Spirit Spouse a different take on it

I just read about Spirit Spouses not so long ago.

Right here: http://www.paganspace.net/forum/topics/do-you-have-a

Don't know if it's any help to anybody's curiosity. Just discern when you read the article, people are a little too dramatic in that thread.

MonSno_LeeDra 06-14-11 03:40 PM

Come on now, surely more than myself and Adamaneta are the only ones who have idea's about this concept! Even if it only discusses the notion of Incubus & Sucubus in the restricted Christian sense of thier identity. Though I would really prefer to discuss the wider sense of the "Spirit _____" that serves as an aide, guide or lover upon the astral and assists in ones workings.

petrus4 06-15-11 01:54 PM

I like to think, or at least hope, that I have one. :D

Adamantea 06-15-11 11:46 PM

Well, for my spirit clan, we like to keep our knowledge a secret. If there is any metaphysical knowledge I get from Spirit, I have to discern which knowledge I can share with others and which one I keep to myself.

When doing Shaman work, I always get the notion that I work with animals. I don't feel I have a spirit spouse as an astral guide, but rather a grandpa ancestor.

Even if I do have a "spirit spouse" to do shaman work, I always felt that the male spirit kept his identity a secret because he doesn't want me to know his identity. He rather have me focus human "love" on a human, so I can keep myself grounded in both worlds.

Meadhbh 06-16-11 02:42 PM

Sure its possible. But, like anything else from the other world caution is required. The aes sidhe do not always have our best interests in mind, in fact they often like playing games with people. Not all mind you but they are out there. More when comes to the subject of spousal bonds and they like.

MonSno_LeeDra 06-16-11 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrus4 (Post 244158)
I like to think, or at least hope, that I have one. :D

I tend to think Kali has claimed you as a spouse. What makes it so hard to discuss is that the notion of Celestial Spouses, Spirit Spouses, God / Goddess spouses are so close in application yet culturally different enough that it gets really confusing as to what one is speaking of.

MonSno_LeeDra 06-16-11 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamantea (Post 244209)
Well, for my spirit clan, we like to keep our knowledge a secret. If there is any metaphysical knowledge I get from Spirit, I have to discern which knowledge I can share with others and which one I keep to myself.

I can relate to that. Some things I am bound to keep a secret, though for many reasons, the least of which is at times I simply do not understand what I was shown or told. he he he

Quote:

When doing Shaman work, I always get the notion that I work with animals. I don't feel I have a spirit spouse as an astral guide, but rather a grandpa ancestor.
Most of the journey work and such I to feel I do with animal spirits. Most times I never sense my Spirit Wife except in situations which have turnt really potential grave for me. I do have ancesteral spirits that I work with at times or call upon but that is usually driven by need.

Quote:

Even if I do have a "spirit spouse" to do shaman work, I always felt that the male spirit kept his identity a secret because he doesn't want me to know his identity. He rather have me focus human "love" on a human, so I can keep myself grounded in both worlds.
In some ways I think my Spirit Wife is the "Spirit Soul" of my incarnated wife upon the physical. Almost what one might say is a soul fragment that retains the knowldge of the greater whole and protects as it allows the fragment to experience physical life.

Sorry will have to think about the best way to explain that so it doesn't sound insane.

RoseRed 06-16-11 03:55 PM

I tend to think she has claimed him as a child more-so than a spouse. I do agree that he is claimed.

RoseRed 06-16-11 03:56 PM

Quote:

Sorry will have to think about the best way to explain that so it doesn't sound insane.
To me - it doesn't sound insane at all. To a very large portion of society I'd have to guess that at least 80% of what we chat about here could be considered insane.

Current time: 10:37 PM (GMT -4)