EarthSong Forums

EarthSong Forums (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Egyptian Studies (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Why we decorate eggs at easter. (http://www.earthsongforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11344)

Cassie 04-23-11 06:11 AM

Why we decorate eggs at easter.

To my surprise while reading about the Egyptian festival of Sham el Nessim, I found something that may be the original reason for the tradition of decorating eggs at Easter time.

Quote:

Eggs for the pharos were dyed and hung in temples as emblems of regenerative life. They not only symbolize new life, but they serve as small art works to enjoy at the picnics. Dyed eggs from pharaonic times are a direct predecessor of our Easter eggs today. “This is the best part for the whole family. We usually go to the Cairo Zoo in the early morning but the first thing we do is color the eggs. We use water colors and then put them in the sun to dry so they will be ready for us to enjoy. My four year old daughter is the most talented of my children at painting these,” said Mostafa.
Quote:

Sham el Nessim , literally meaning ‘sniffing the breeze’, marks the beginning of the spring. It falls immediately on the first Monday following the Coptic Easter and it was related to agriculture in ancient Egypt which contained fertility rites that were later attached to Christianity and the celebration of Easter. It is believed that the Egyptians were the first to celebrate this occasion.

"The spring festival coincided with the vernal equinox, and the ancients imagined that that day represented the beginning of creation. The date of Sham El Nessim was not fixed. Rather, it was announced every year on the night before the feast at the foot of the Great Pyramid. The feast of 'Shamo,' means 'renewal of life' which was later corrupted during the Coptic age to 'shamm' (smelling or breathing) and the word 'nessim' (breeze) was added. The ancient Egyptians first celebrated the feast of Shamo in 2700 BC, towards the end of the 3rd Dynasty." In his book, Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians, W.W. Lane wrote in 1834: "
The full article which makes a very interesting read can be found here.

Fangz 04-23-11 08:27 AM

Re: Why we decorate eggs at easter.

Another Legend has it that the Goddess Eostre turned a colourful bird into a rabbit and the rabbit then laid coloured eggs, this is where the easter bunny and egg hunts came from and the basis of the Christian festival Easter.

David_2010 04-23-11 08:29 PM

Although one thing those egg hunts didn't have was chocolate eggs! (which is why our modern day celebrations are the greatest ;)!!).

Cassie 04-05-12 10:48 AM

Easter Bump!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie (Post 236469)
To my surprise while reading about the Egyptian festival of Sham el Nessim, I found something that may be the original reason for the tradition of decorating eggs at Easter time.

The full article which makes a very interesting read can be found here.

Fabienne S. Morgana 03-12-13 06:51 AM

*bump* for those heading into the Spring Equinox!

Does anyone decorate eggs?

If you do - I, for one, would love to see some photos!

TheThing 03-12-13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabienne S. Morgana (Post 294439)
Does anyone decorate eggs?

If you do - I, for one, would love to see some photos!

I decorate a few eggs every year.

I'm not sure if they're any good though.

I'll put them in the 18+ tags, as I'm a little embarrassed for anyone to see them.

WARNING: Adult Content
Actually these are way beyond my abilities. These incredible egg shell sculptures are carved by Chinese artist Wen Fuliang.

I haven't actually done the Easter egg thing since I was a kid.

Brigidrose 03-12-13 09:29 PM

I am going to do some this weekend ..its an early celebration...I am usually in a hurry so mine are just standard, I will make some black ones for my husband Hee hee

Fethenwen 03-13-13 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheThing (Post 294465)
I decorate a few eggs every year.

I'm not sure if they're any good though.

I'll put them in the 18+ tags, as I'm a little embarrassed for anyone to see them.

WARNING: Adult Content
Actually these are way beyond my abilities. These incredible egg shell sculptures are carved by Chinese artist Wen Fuliang.

I haven't actually done the Easter egg thing since I was a kid.

lol, you almost had me there, I was going :o for almost a whole minute. haha.

---

I might actually do some decorating, we always have eggs at home were I will be spending the Easter holiday, and we will have my brothers kids over for Easter. So that combination might lead to some egg painting, I like the whole symbolic idea of eggs and Easter/Ostara.

Current time: 05:22 AM (GMT -4)