View Single Post
Old 04-23-12   #12
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Default Re: Who should be who?

Stepping into my time machine...
William Blake was a big influence on Austin Osman Spare who deserves a mention, particularly influencing Chaos Magic. Indeed there's a pretty direct line of influence leading to Robert Anton Wilson, there.

Dr. Dee invented or recieved Enochian. Can't have much more influence on magical matters than that.

Eliphas Levi invented or introduced to the world the classic 'To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Be Silent'. (Crowley countered this by spectacularly breaking 'To Be Silent'.)

Hermes Trismegistus may actually have become Thoth and was likely a real person. Whether he was or not, "As Above, So Below," has become enshrined in magical dogma virtually everywhere.

There are others but I think I've covered the main ones.

(Oh alright, honourable mentions go to Shakespeare and Marlowe for Macbeth, The Tempest and Faust in influencing the magical aesthetic if not actual magical practise.)

EDIT : I'd include other semi-or-entirely mythic figures like Merlin in my occultist-with-a-time-machine list but as their works are mostly lost it can't be certain how much they have directly influenced modern magic.

EDIT THE SECOND : Oh, and another couple of honourable mentions to John Milton and Dante whose Paradise Lost and Divine Comedy, though intended to be works exalting God, have a direct influence of Luciferianism and Satanism.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote