Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > The Venus Forum

The Venus Forum For all topics specific to women; health, beauty, relationships, career, spirit.

Old 04-14-11   #1
Rapture

Default Scary Statistics

http://lovewithjetpacks.tumblr.com/p...hanlapsed-phew

Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Scary Statistics

...and we think feminism is a silly old hippie idea, or something.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #3
Rapture

I know eh.

Old 04-14-11   #4
petrus4
Leaper

I know how much I normally hate people who do this, and how much I usually consider it a trademark of atheism; but if there was ever a situation where it was truly appropriate, it's this one.

[citation needed]

More seriously; yes, the issue of gender income disparity is a serious one, and I do recognise the genuine need for resolution. However, something that feminists are apparently not aware of, is that there is a desire on the part of the stereotypical geriatric white male, to screw literally everyone else on the planet over. When it comes to exploitation, they don't think in terms of individual demographics.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #5
feranaja

http://www.unifem.org/gender_issues/...ts_figures.php
http://www.worldrevolution.org/proje...efOverview.htm
http://www.internationalwomensday.com/facts.asp
That was just Page One of google.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #6
Rapture

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
More seriously; yes, the issue of gender income disparity is a serious one, and I do recognise the genuine need for resolution. However, something that feminists are apparently not aware of, is that there is a desire on the part of the stereotypical geriatric white male, to screw literally everyone else on the planet over. When it comes to exploitation, they don't think in terms of individual demographics.
I am a feminist, though not the stereotyped man hating woman. Why should anyone put up with 'individual demographic' behaviour (the example of which you yourself have labelled a stereotype)? Exploitation shouldn't be something that is more acceptable simply because everyone similar acts the same.

Old 04-14-11   #7
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gala View Post
I am a feminist, though not the stereotyped man hating woman. Why should anyone put up with 'individual demographic' behaviour (the example of which you yourself have labelled a stereotype)? Exploitation shouldn't be something that is more acceptable simply because everyone similar acts the same.
I didn't say that.

My point was, that feminism would be a lot more useful if it became more inclusive; and if some feminists started realising that men and women both need to band together against a minority of individuals, whose interest is not only in screwing us all, (of any race and gender) but keeping us divided and at each other's throats, for the very purpose of ensuring that we can never actually get to the root of the real problem.

The perception of individual, isolated minorities of victims needs to go away. It doesn't empower or benefit anyone. Instead, we basically need to realise that there are only really two groups here; the rest of us on the one hand, and the guys at the top of the pyramid on the other.

They don't care who you are; white, black, red, yellow, male, female, young, old. To them, there's only one rule; if you're not one of them, you're just raw meat.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #8
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

The problem is not men dominating women. It is a few men dominating everybody.
It isn't like myself or Petrus or, indeed, anyone here is consciously domination women. I'd say we consciously move against that, but there are a few men in positions of power who are determined to stay there whatever the cost.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12   #9
PrincessKLS

Sorry to bump an old topic but we recently did some studying on this in my Soc. class and I was shocked by how much of a difference men and women made for the same jobs. Even in the upper prestige ones. I always thought it was a small difference like women getting .75 for every $1.00 but no, apparently if you are a female lawyer, the difference in pay is like $200-$300 less than your male counterpart on average per week! I mean, Jesus Christ, this outdated idea needs to change. Not all working women are married and some never get married and obviously if gay marriage or civil unions are going to be legalized, how would decide who will be the bread-winner in the house? These salaries are from an outdated notion that a woman has or will eventually have a "rich" man to care for her. And in some incidences that's true and many women don't want a man who makes much lower in salary than they do. But still how do the gay and/or single women live?
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12   #10
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
Sorry to bump an old topic but we recently did some studying on this in my Soc. class and I was shocked by how much of a difference men and women made for the same jobs. Even in the upper prestige ones. I always thought it was a small difference like women getting .75 for every $1.00 but no, apparently if you are a female lawyer, the difference in pay is like $200-$300 less than your male counterpart on average per week!
As with all this stuff, the figures depend on how you prepare them. I don't have time right now for a literature study because I'm frantically trying to rebuild a 1.2Tb hard drive after a crash on Tuesday. But...

Google "male and female salaries in legal professions" (leave out the quotes) and you'll be presented with enough papers to see that there are other factors in play, though precisely what effects they have I can only speculate right now.

Firstly: yes, across the whole legal profession the median female salary is about 75% of the median male salary. But, restrict the data set to those who obtained their highest degree less than ten years ago and the gap narrows to something like 85% - I've seen several figures but around there is probably right. Take 'starting salary' and the gap narrows again to about 95% - despite the surveys having N=160,000 that last could actually just be noise.

Secondly: this report... http://www.suu.edu/faculty/baker_j/MLR.pdf

gives an average working week for female employees in law as 42 hours, whereas males work fifty hours. Adjusted to a 40 hour week the results are very different: median for males is $43,200, and for females is $45,714 (table 5). that's actually about 104%.

Thirdly: although law doesn't compare well with other qualifications (such as MBAs) for re-entry into the profession within the first ten years, it does so very favourably for people returning after ten years or more in the profession - skills don't become obsolete so quickly.

My ten minute recreation break is now up and I'm back to figuring out where all my FTP permissions have gone, but I surmise that the differences aren't down to pay discrimination per se, but more to working weeks, the higher percentage of females working as paralegals and of course the higher percentage of females taking career break - for childcare and so on. I'd be interested to see whether, if you read the first ten or so Google hits (two are on JSTOR so you'll have access to them that I don't), you agree or disagree with this hypothesis.

Now of course the three factors I hypothesise above are things that something may need doing about, but you'd need more detailed data than I've seen in order to make that call.

blessings
ffetcher - who will be back to normal after the weekend.
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote