Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 02-05-09   #11
feranaja

Default Re: Imbolc

rend that is so true! I'm not only planting those seeds, I'm making it possible to work more effectively here, by organizing myself - online as well as my physical surroundings - files, cabinets, everything. How is it going for you?

My favourite Brigit story:

The Full Pot

The original goddess of increase and plenty shines through the legend of the gentle saint who fed poor people, animals and birds with an open heart and hand. One day, while she was helping prepare a feast in honour of her father's guests, a starving dog limped into the kitchen, drawn bythe fragrance of cooking bacon. Brigit couldn't resist giving the wretched animal a piece of meat, and then another, and another, till she realized with horror the pot was empty.

At that moment, her father came into the kitchen to see if dinner was ready.

"Go look in the pot" Brigit said - praying very hard.

The pot was full.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09   #12
feranaja

Invocation to Brigid at Imbolc

We welcome you Brigid, on Candlemas Eve,
We pray for your blessing, new life to receive,
O Mother of poetry Teach us your art
That deep inspiration may enter our hearts.

O Mistress of Magic who stands by the fire,
And shapes the bright metal to forms you desire,
O Mother of Smithcraft, please teach us your art,
That the power of changing may enter each heart.

You kindle the Springtime to quicken the earth,
From under your mantle the old has new birth,
O Mother of Healing, please teach us your art,
That peace and contentent may enter each heart.

Shane Parrish
Old 02-06-09   #13
feranaja

One last recipe before we start to move onwards...I'm finding the energy of Imbolc/Brigid very strong right now, and hard to let go of. But, the Wheel turns! Here is a recipe from a good friend of mine, someone from the dogworld who is also Pagan! A great find, when I find one.

A lovely oatmeal cake recipe, perfect for Brigid:

Oatmeal Cake
1 c. oatmeal
1 1/3 c. boiling water
1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine oats and boiling water. Let sit for 20 min.
Add butter, sugars, eggs and mix well.
Stir in the dry ingredients.

Pour batter into a greased and floured 9" baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees
for 35 min. or until a knife inserted in the midle comes out clean.

(I used an 8" springform pan and had to bake it an extra 10 minutes)

Shane Parrish
Old 01-23-11   #14
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Noodle Kugel

I've made this recipe probably every year now for the past 20, at Imbolc. Delicious.

You need:

one pound package wide egg noodles
3 Tbsps unsalted butter
3 whole eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese (yes, this is a dairy-fest)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsps cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

(You can add a peeled and chopped apple, 1/2 cup golden raisins, a little lemon juice if you like, but it's also very good straight up)

Steps:

1) Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan or similar casserole. I use a round baking dish to represent the sun.

2) Cook the noodles in boiling water according to package, until about half done. Drain and toss with the butter; transfer to a large bowl.

3) While the noodles are cooking: in a food processor, place the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream and cream cheese. Whip until smooth and then add cinnamon sugar and salt, whip a little more until blended. Stir this mixture into the noodles. Transfer it all to the greased baking dish.

5) Bake uncovered about 40 minutes - serve warm! I like some dry Riesling with this, and toast the coming light!

OPTIONAL: Mix 1 cup breadcrumbs with 1/4 cup brown sugar and more cinnamon - at least a teaspoon - sprinkle over all about halfway through baking.
I made this dish last year...it was amazing. I will make it again this year as well. There was a plate left out for Goddess as well.
I always plan a gathering for the sabbats, but I think this years will be so welcome after the cold winter...

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11   #15
Silvercloud

I hope everyone had a wonderful Imbolc.

I lit as many candles as I could without setting the fire detector off. We had a golden light themed dinner with beautiful spiced rice (went a lovely yellow colour), mixed peppers and chicken. I've had a good spring clean too and cleared the house energy. I'm looking forward to the first signs of spring. I've noticed some bulbs are already just to burst through the ground
Silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11   #16
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Bright Blessings to all who are celebrating Imbolc!

Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12   #17
feranaja

Found a little video on youtube with basic information on the Goddess Brigid, and a lovely soundtrack.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-27-12   #18
oonagh sidhe

lovely
thank you for posting this
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12   #19
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Imbolc is a festival of light - - celebrate it with candles and flames!

Hundreds of years ago, when our ancestors relied upon the sun as their only source of light, the end of winter was met with much celebration. Although it is still cold in February, often the sun shines brightly above us, and the skies are often crisp and clear. As a festival of light, Imbolc came to be called Candlemas. On this evening, when the sun has set once more, call it back by lighting the seven candles of this ritual.
** Note: although this ceremony is written for one, it can easily be adapted for a small group.
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: Varied

What You Need:
Seven candles, white and red, and something to light them with
A bowl or cauldron with sand in the bottom

Start:
Set up your altar:
Seven candles, in red and white (tealights are perfect for this)
Something to light your candles with
A large bowl or cauldron big enough to hold the candles
Sand or salt to fill the bottom of the bowl/cauldron
Prior to beginning your ritual, take a warm, cleansing bath. While soaking, meditate on the concept of purification. Once you're done, dress in your ritual attire, and begin the rite.
If your tradition requires you to cast a circle, do so now.
Pour the sand or salt into the bowl or cauldron. Place the seven candles into the sand so they won't slide around. Light the first candle. As you do so, say:

Although it is now dark, I come seeking light.
In the chill of winter, I come seeking life.
Light the second candle, saying:
I call upon fire, that melts the snow and warms the hearth.
I call upon fire, that brings the light and makes new life.
I call upon fire to purify me with your flames.
Light the third candle. Say:
This light is a boundary, between positive and negative.
That which is outside, shall stay without.
That which is inside, shall stay within.
Light the fourth candle. Say:
Light the fifth candle, saying:
Like fire, light and love will always grow.
Like fire, wisdom and inspiration will always grow.
Light the sixth candle, and say:
Finally, light the last candle. As you do so, visualize the seven flames coming together as one. As the light builds, see the energy growing in a purifying glow.
Fire of the hearth, blaze of the sun,
cover me in your shining light.
I am awash in your glow, and tonight I am
made pure.
Take a few momemnts and meditate on the light of your candles. Think about this Sabbat, a time of healing and inspiration and purification. Do you have something damaged that needs to be healed? Are you feeling stagnant, for lack of inspiration? Is there some part of your life that feels toxic or tainted? Visualize the light as a warm, enveloping energy that wraps itself around you, healing your ailments, igniting the spark of creativity, and purifying that which is damanged.
When you are ready, end the ritual. You may choose to follow up with healing magic, or with a cakes and ale ceremony.

This is very similar to what I might do on Imbolc, so I thougt I would share. What do you all do?

I think tonight I will do this..its easy and its just me ....

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12   #20
Michael

Here's something I put together a while ago if it helps add to the moment. Imbolg, agus Lá Fhéile Bríd shona daoibh go déanach!

"Brighid, Briganti, Brigit, Briga, e.t.c is a Celtic Goddess, and Irish Saint, whose parallel comes up frequently in topics focused on Paganism and Christianity. That parallel is what I intend to focus on, so just briefly touching on the nature of this Goddess...

The etymology of her name literally means "exalted one, a pseudonym that Celtic inhabitants around high hills used for their mother-goddess.(Briganti) This Goddess was the sovereign Goddess said to give her name to Britain, and there was even a tribe that controlled central Britain based around the Pennine Hills called the Brigantes, with Briganti their principal Goddess. Off-shoots of this tribe settled in the south-east of Ireland around the 1st century A.D. Many scholars believe that her cult was brought to Ireland with these settlements, with Brigit (Brighid) being her Irish adaptation.

In the myths and literacy creations, Brighid is a Poetess of the Tuatha Dé Dannan, and daughter of the Daghdha, with two sisters of the same name. She was a guardian-goddess of domestic animals, and patroness of smithcraft and poetry. A 9th century glossarian wrote that, "among all the Irish, a goddess used to be called Brigit." A few Irish rivers were given the name Brighid, along with many hills called Brí. It was said that Brigh was the first to weep and shreik to the dead, being a defender of the Laigin(Leinster), terrifying enemies appropriate for a territorial sovern goddess. This indicates that like Danu and Mór-Ríoghain, Brighid was another aspect of the mother-goddess.

St. Brighid, Brigit, Bríd, of the Fotharta, Mary of the Irish/ Muire na nGael, is an Irish saint reputed to have lived C. AD 439-524, however practically nothing historical is known about her. Her cult had political importance with the rise of the Uí Dhúnlaige Leinster sept, so a Latin biography called Vita Brigitae was written in 650 by a cleric under the pen name Cogitosus.A shocking feature to many scholars about the text is the lack of any historical information about Brighid who supposedly lived a century earlier. It's mostly composed of miracles such as multiplying crops&stock, healing the sick, and even changing the weather(akin to rumoured feats of druids, and prayers to the Goddess Brighid) and the importance of Kildare. Not only does the saint share her name with the Goddess Brighid, but it's highly coincidental that her feast day, Lá Fhéile Bhríd, falls on the same date as Oímelg(Imbolc), the pagan festival of spring and turning point of the Celtic year, also connected with the goddess. Oímelg means "lactation", and is associated with the birth of farm animals, that the saint and goddess also happen to be patronesses of.

Kildare itself, Irish Cill Dara, means "Church of the Oak tree." This suggests that the site was a sacred pagan one, by the presence of oak groves sacred to the druids, and some accounts even state Brighid was the daughter of a druid. It's sceptical to doubt the existence of an actual Christian Saint of Kildare, but it's likely that a holy woman of the Fotharta Christianised a pagan sanctuary at Kildare, and borne the name Brighid, common among druidresses. The synthesis between Paganism and Christianity would have met less resistance under the name of Brighid, and much of Saint Brighid's lore contains elements of druidic practices keen for Christian propaganda. It's widely believed that the goddess's presence in the Gaelic mind was so strong, she was simply canonised as a saint.

Her cult was prominent in Leinster, and south Ulster, especially in Kildare and Faughart(where some sources even claim to be her birth), and much of her lore even spread to Scotland and Wales. Kildare and Faughart are still rich with her lore. Folk customs, especially on Febrary 1st like solar&St. Bríde's crosses (cróssog na Bríd), maintain lines to the Goddess Brighis, and well as being the feast of the Saint. Outdoor shrines, especially around sacred spriongs, as well as offerings and well dressings are all remnants of Ireland's pagan past, and living traditions of both Pagan and Christian Gaelic Traditionalists, as you can see here in the pics we took of her shrine at Faughart, Co. Louth..."