Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 06-12-11   #1
Herr Heinrich

Default Worshipping/Revering Gods/Goddesses from different pantheons

I am sure this has been brought up before, but here it goes.

I have renewed my study of Celtic culture and mythology and added the study of Norse mythology to my studies. I have always felt drawn to Brigantia/Brigid and I am also drawn to Cernunnos, especially recently (sadly I do not know much of him and I am trying to find more material on him). Recently I have found myself drawn to Odin as well. Strongly. He keeps cropping up everywhere as well. I do not consider worshipping different gods from different pantheons a very good idea.

I was looking for some input on my own situation and I also was wondering what people thought about worshipping gods from different pantheons.
Herr Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #2
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Worshipping/Revering Gods/Goddesses from different pantheons

Usually I would advise against going cross-pantheon as well, but the Aesir are something of a special case.

In my observation, the Aesir were extremely gregarious, friendly, and evangelical; at the time of my own contact with them, I had already been drawn to Kali. The Aesir are among the most tolerant, accepting, nurturing, and non-judgemental pantheon that I have ever heard of; they will accept you, in totality, on entirely your own level. It's a truly beautiful thing.

The Aesir are also not a pantheon that are associated in any real way with asceticism, from what I have seen. On the contrary; they will encourage you to fight, hace sex, eat meat and drink alcohol. They have an extremely affirmative, Epicurean, and embracing attitude towards corporeal existence and experience.

Lord Odin I think can also be a somewhat detached and serious being. He is the God of berserking, among other things, and therefore seems to have lessons to impart on both anger, and how to manage it. As well as being head of the pantheon, he is also generally considered exceptionally wise and intelligent; being traditionally the creator of the Futhark or runic system of writing.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #3
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Cross-pantheon is only really advisable when you feel such a strong calling that you cannot willfully ignore it anymore. The Aesir certainly will not give you any trouble for contacting them. If anything, they'll welcome you with gusto. Odin takes special interest, one might say, in the folks who're willing to learn. (Petrus may call him detached and serious, but that is not precisely my own experience with him. His booming laughter is something that takes some getting-used-to, is all I'm saying.)

I've had to unite my call from the Scandinavian pantheon with my earlier call from the Egyptian pantheon. There was no real trouble on the part of the Scandinavian folk, but the Egyptians took some time to deliberate if that was really what they wanted for me. Trouble always comes from the other party when you're going to deal with deities like Odin, although I think that the Celtic party might have a little less trouble with it than the Egyptians did here. There is a certain similarity between the Scandinavian and Celtic, so going cross-pantheon with them may be pretty beneficial to everyone involved.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #4
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Heinrich View Post

I was looking for some input on my own situation and I also was wondering what people thought about worshipping gods from different pantheons.
I would have to disagree that it's a bad idea, I do it all the time, I'm a Pagan and I worship and offer to deity from Yoruba, from my Celtic ancestry, from ancient Greece and all the local spirits and native gods as well.
I just do each one separately and from the heart - complete with study into who and what I am addressing, and offerings given in a deeply respectful and appropriate manner. Oshun gets carnations and sunflowers and rum, Hecate gets red wine and myrrh, and so on. I was trained that way, and it's neer been a problem for me. What I wouldn't do is a ritual calling on Hecate and Llugh, for example.It's Celtic themed, or it's Greek etc but it's not a mishmash. Spiritually, I've enjoyed a long and deep relationship with multiple deities. Only conflict I ever experienced was Aphrodite and Oshun and that was not because they were different pantheons, but because they represent very similar things, and that was indeed a struggle. having shrines to them both was just overkill, and I had to make choices there.

But I follow my heart in my spirituality and then, use my head to make decisions about who I will reach out to,and how I will express my devotions.
fera

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #5
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSister View Post
(Petrus may call him detached and serious, but that is not precisely my own experience with him. His booming laughter is something that takes some getting-used-to, is all I'm saying.)
I was a little worried that that would be interpreted, as me implying that Odin was one dimensional. Nothing could be further from the truth. That was the impression I received at the time, but I'm also aware that other people have had others.

I also don't claim any form of regular association with or focus on the Aesir at all. There was one specific period where I had some interesting experiences, which I chose to interpret as contact; and that was basically it.
Old 06-13-11   #6
RoseRed
Christian Witch

But not everyone can balance different pantheons as well as fera. I've seen some bad cross-pantheon combinations. Be careful because it is a balancing act.
Old 06-13-11   #7
Kokaba'al

I don't see cross-pantheon working/worship as a problem. The same gods are present in many cultures under many different names, representing the same forces and currents that are commonly known to all mankind - and each one is but a facet of the same brilliant diamond. Sometimes one has to leave the known and venture into the unknown, in order to receive the lessons that one may otherwise miss. Certainly, if one is feeling strongly drawn to a deity which falls outside of one's usual pantheon, I would advise to at least check it out. So long as you do your research and are respectful, I see no reason for there being any problem.
Old 06-13-11   #8
feranaja

I agree there are pitfalls, RoseRed and what I should add is, I developed this ability...slowly. When I was first training, we studied multiple pantheons that first year, i read on native America and Aztec mythologies, on Egypt, Greece, the Celts and Norse... in my second year we developed a generic shrine, and somewhere along the line that followed, chose a pantheon that clicked. For me at that time it was Greece, so i deeply studied the myths, I wrote rituals around Demeter/Persephone, Hecate, Aphrodite and Dionysus. I set my altar to the triple goddess as Artemis/Selene/Hecate and built a devotional shrine to Aphrodite (which was a bit of a wonder in it's beauty, in those days). I worked with the Greeks for probably a full year - exclusively - before I began to serve Oshun (there was a huge shrine to her in the Shop)...she "claimed" me as I was told by a Santerian priest - I was originally a daughter of Obatala but Oshun claimed me. I worked much more deeply with Yoruba/Santeria in those days than I do now, but again I really learned the system. And so on - whatever I have learned I have worked with both deeply and in relative focus for at least a year (and in the case of the Greeks I was a devotee almost exclusively for a very long time, with the exception of Oshun who has always been with me). It takes time to understand the nuances and depths of any pantheon, so I didn't intend to suggest just leaping into it! Only that, properly handled I see no reason to restrict oneself. When we open, the voice we hear is the one we should heed, and that can change through a lifetime - one of the beauties of Paganism is of course, that we are *allowed* to follow.

She changes everything She touches..and everything She touches, changes.

but definitely not without pitfalls - good you pointed that out RR.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #9
RoseRed
Christian Witch

Quote:
The same gods are present in many cultures under many different names, representing the same forces and currents that are commonly known to all mankind - and each one is but a facet of the same brilliant diamond
I used to believe that. Until I had a very pissed off Goddess telling me that she was NOT the same. Similar to fera and her Oshun/Aphrodite 'conflict'. My experience was Diana and Artemis - Diana claimed me.

I believe that the god/esses are similar because humans are the same -wherever they're from. In truth - they could be different facets of the same diamond BUT each facet is it's own plane.

I also think that they are more forgiving of ignorance. For example - someone who doesn't realize that all the different pantheons don't get together for one big family reunion every year and combines different deity's have more leeway than someone who has studied intensely and knows better BUT still attempts to combine them in unfamiliar ways.

Then there's also the difference of working with them separately and combining their worship. Kali and the Green Man do NOT mix well on the same alter.

HH mentioned that he's drawn to Cernunnos. In mixing or blending of pantheons he could also say Pan. They are quite similar. Horned God of the forest and of wild things. The fine differences come into play with deeper study. I truly believe that the local gods of place aren't the same entities.

A word of caution before you do call upon either of them - be prepared for the whirlwind. Calling upon the god of wild things will set free your wild heart. Logic and 'rules' mean little when your heart and desires are in control. It's really easy to make a mess of things and when you remove these things from your alter and ask ever so politely to STOP! (they don't do well with demands - they just make it worse till you learn your place) you gotta pick up the pieces.

Be very careful which god/esses you call into your life. Do your research first.

My personal experience with Odin was the he did NOT want to be shared. He's the head of his pantheon - a father god if you will. He would NOT share space with those lesser than him. I worked exclusively with him for months while learning rune work. I wasn't called to work with the pantheon as a whole - just with him so my experiences, I'm sure, will differ from others.
Old 06-13-11   #10
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
Then there's also the difference of working with them separately and combining their worship. Kali and the Green Man do NOT mix well on the same alter.
The other thing to know about Ma in particular, while she is being mentioned, is that she is jealous; and that even extends to Gods from her own group. A cousin of mine got me a painting of Lord Ganesha as a Christmas present last year, and although most of the time it's been fine, (Ganesha does have a role as Ma's herald during puja traditionally, after all) at times things have felt decidedly awkward. Although I'm also allowed to talk to Michael at times as well, it generally doesn't pay for me to do so too much.

There was also the time when I poured out a can of bourbon and Coke for the Aesir after they helped me with some Chaos work, when there was a very distinct sense of coldness and disapproval for probably the next three weeks afterwards. Yahweh is not the only Godform for whom, "Thou shalt have no other Gods before Me," holds true.

A second point about Kali is, that if she comes into your life, she will have a very specific agenda as to how she intends to change it. She will make demands, and she can become furious if said demands are not met. Work with her, and you will find your own life holding together, even though literal Armageddon seems to be going on in other people's. Resist and anger her, and you quite literally may not survive the experience.

Quote:
A word of caution before you do call upon either of them - be prepared for the whirlwind. Calling upon the god of wild things will set free your wild heart.
Agreed. Cernunnos is one entity who will never, ever be invoked by me; irrespective of how foolhardy any other invocation I might perform would be. My very survival depends on extremely rigid suppression of a number of elements of my personality; my libido most of all. The result of such an invocation would probably be me ending up with AIDS, a trail of psychologically destroyed women behind me, similar to my ex-girlfriend, my mother resoundingly and permanently told to fuck off, and my father possibly murdered.

If you think recently I've been an asshole while in my usual, repressed state, ESF, you REALLY wouldn't like to see me in a scenario where I was able to actually do what I wanted.