Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 04-10-15   #41
feranaja

Default Re: Worshipping/Revering Gods/Goddesses from different pantheons

just bumping this...I have long struggled with the Male principle, but a while ago found Odin most powerful (and He did show up here, albeit with something of a trickster approach).
This is my first year ever to pull Raven as my central card, and I think part of the transformation that indicates is a growing acceptance of the God. Merlin and the Green Man are as close as I ever get, but now this Odin thing. I've decided just to honour him in a quiet, Druidic kind of way, with libations and a promise to learn something ore about the Norse. My pantheon remains mixed but with a very strongly Celt-centric focus these days.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15   #42
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Odin's known to.. well.. test the waters. At least, he did so with me and I'm betting he does that to a lot of us who've also received other calls throughout the years. Some 13 years ago (has it really been that long ) I experienced that he tends to send out messengers to see if you take note of them and/or that he pushes certain situations at you to see how you handle them. A lot of the Norse lore is really 'how to live' in accordance with 'what is life' and with the Deeper Craft -- the Hávamál is a picture-perfect example of this, as it begins with 'how to live' and includes 'what is life' and then culminates in the runic centrepoint from which the Deeper Craft springs.

Consider:
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

And then, Deeper:
Know how to cut them, know how to read them,
Know how to stain them, know how to prove them,
Know how to evoke them, know how to score them,
Know how to send them, know how to send them,

Better not to ask than to over-pledge
As a gift that demands a gift
Better not to send than to slay too many

I would actually say that it 'marries well' with some of the Celtic lore I know. I originally started out knowing more of the Celtic through the fact that a lot of the Dutch magical/pagan practices tend to centre around that particular part. I found the transition to the Norse, later, to be a deepening of many of those aspects that I had seen within the Celtic roots. A lot of insight from Odin can be gleaned through meditation on The Hanged Man -- my own feeling after all this time is that he does not much care what path you are on, as long as you live 'in truth' and adhere to the cautions he does give. I'm still his child through the respect I pay his words and roots, though I don't strictly adhere to the Norse pathwalk in general and have experienced some pretty interesting deepenings from other pathwalks in recent times. It is my own feeling on him, though, from having walked with him a long time. Maybe yours will be different still -- as it must be, surely.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15   #43
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I have long struggled with the Male principle
Fera, I need to tell you a story, here.

My mother is a prejudiced, narcissistic, superficial, barely sentient bitch. She is racist and mentally exists within a prison of neo-Victorianism; she sits in her loungeroom every night and watches Victorian drama serials which have English lords and ladies of the manor, with (often black) servants or slaves, and even on her own side of the screen is surrounded by frail, overly ornate, wooden and china pieces of junk, which I do not understand why anyone considers valuable.

I have an autistic diagnosis. Like you, I have been abused, but rather than abuse of commission, mine was abuse of ommission; what should have been there, wasn't. The strain of autism that I was diagnosed with is called Non-Verbal Learning Disability; while I don't have most of the usual cognitive problems of autistic people, mine is associated with chronic lack of personal initiative, and avoidant and socially phobic behaviour. It has also since been discovered that, although this can be true with various different types, my specific kind of autism has a particular link with a lack of physical nurturing as a baby and young child.

I am not going to claim that my mother never did anything good for me; but at the risk of blasphemy here, she was like Hecate, in the sense that she had no problem doing good things in logistical terms (food etc) for people, but she still tended to be verbally abusive and bitchy as well. I also got the silent treatment a lot, often for hours on end, as did my father.

At this point I don't want to blame her exclusively for this, either; she went to the girls' boarding branch of Geelong Grammar for most of her education. My father was English boarding school educated as well; and there's been research in recent years into the level of psychological damage that that tends to do to people. So it wasn't exclusively her fault, and I don't want to imply that it was.

However, here's how that affected me. My father would often attempt to fill my head with misogynistic stereotypes, and then a few minutes later, entirely unaware of what he had said, my mother would then enter the room and proceed to act out one or more of said stereotypes.

I went to an all-boys' school for nearly four years, in the middle of my primary (elementary, for Americans) education. When I came out of that, I not only had severe post traumatic stress disorder, but I was completely incapable of trusting a single one of the girls I encountered.

I was popular with the girls at high school; much moreso than the expensive psychologists who I had been sent to when younger, had told me to expect that I could be, because of the autism. Some of them were physically affectionate towards me; some of them expressed a desire to become my girlfriend; one directly asked me for sex once. Because of my experience with my mother, however, I reflexively rejected every single advance that every one of them ever made towards me; because I was never able to believe that they did not have some kind of malevolent, deceptive ulterior motive. Said rejection was done without thinking, and usually I wasn't even consciously aware of the fact that I had done it until hours or days later.

Here's the next mistake I made. In the mid 90s, I was using the precursor to today's Twitter, called Internet Relay Chat. I went into several IRC channels which were dedicated to women who were not only seperatist lesbians, but who also falsely identified as bisexual, while expressing an absolutely seething hatred of men.

To this day, I have still never experienced more intense hatred of anyone, anywhere, than what I have at times seen lesbians direct towards men. I also say that having associated with neo-Nazis on 4chan. I honestly don't believe that Hitler's hatred for the Jews exceeded some of what I've seen from seperatist lesbians. There are no words to describe it. I've also since read about the Greek Amazons and some real seperatist woman tribes in South America. The desire isn't to enslave or oppress men; the desire is to cause us to literally cease to exist.

I've also only had a single sexual or romantic relationship in my life, which lasted for six years, and was ultimately a train wreck. My parents were a big part of the reason why, and I also treated her abominably at times; but Sheena was still undeniably a genuine psychic vampire, and an economic parasite. I was miserable and utterly exhausted at the end of that period. That was when Kali came to me; when I was at my absolutely lowest possible point.

As a polytheist, I don't primarily identify as Pagan, first and foremost. Fundamentally, I am a Shakta Hindu; and Shaktism is the branch of Hinduism which views the Divine as female.

I see Kali as my Mother; she has been far more nurturing of me than my biological mother, and at one point, literally saved my life while I was living in Sunbury. She has been very good to me.

You've also seen recently, how I'm trying to bury the hatchet with Aphrodite; and emotionally, this is probably the single most difficult thing I've ever done. Aphrodite and Kali are two very different beings, and with apologies to Mother, Aphrodite is far more purely and unambiguously feminine.

Aphrodite has already encouraged me to look at how emotionally calloused and cut off I've allowed myself to become; my heart practically has scales, these days. I've been told that that is often a problem for men, but given my own background, it's been even more of a problem for me than for most. I've literally got the emotional intelligence of a house brick.

It is a genuine testament to Aphrodite's grace that she is willing to even consider communicating with me at this point, as well; I have directed a lot of rage, very specifically towards her over the years. Said rage has either been because of rejection from women, or because of instances where women actually were not rejecting me, but because of the expectations which were caused by my early abuse, and the autism, I was unable to recognise situations where advances were in fact being made towards me.

Why am I telling you this? Simply because I want you to understand what I now do; that if either of us, of either gender, completely locks out, shuns, and rejects the other as "evil," then ultimately the only person we are going to harm, is ourselves.

We are not going to hurt anyone else. No one else cares. There's millions of people out there having healthy heterosexual relationships, and also millions of Pagans of either gender, working happily and even intimately away with their opposites. Life for them is great. The only ones missing out here, are us.

In a way, you and I are mirror opposites. I've almost completely sworn off human women, but maintain at least periodic contact with three Goddesses; Kali, Hecate, and now Aphrodite. You on the other hand live with a man, but largely refuse to interact with male Gods.

Yet ultimately, we are both doing the same thing. We are willingly shutting ourselves off from integration, healing, nurturing, and power. As hard as it is, I'm going to keep trying; and for your own sake, I would urge you to do likewise. I'm potentially losing far too much, to spend the rest of my life on the bench.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15   #44
feranaja

Quote:
Why am I telling you this? Simply because I want you to understand what I now do; that if either of us, of either gender, completely locks out, shuns, and rejects the other as "evil," then ultimately the only person we are going to harm, is ourselves.
petrus, I'm dismayed. you've known me for what, a decade? and this is what you see in me? To be clear; I do not believe men are "evil" nor am shutting out the Divine masculine due to my father's part in my abusive childhood. I simply don't feel the power and the calling, I am not visited by male deities, I have opened to it and it doesn't arrive. I feel strongly that while SOME women who follow a path of the Goddess are indeed working through old abuse issues or confusing their spiritual calling with everyday life, by no means are all of them doing so. You can't just pathologize a whole spiritual group! I don't "reject men" OR the male principle, but I have only felt connected in any way to Jesus, to the Archangels (whom I see as genderless) and occasionally, to Merlin. I'm called to serve the Feminine Principle, and that's all there is to it.

Quote:
We are not going to hurt anyone else. No one else cares. There's millions of people out there having healthy heterosexual relationships, and also millions of Pagans of either gender, working happily and even intimately away with their opposites. Life for them is great. The only ones missing out here, are us.
Honestly, I don't know at all what you're talking about here. I'm not missing anything, by working with the Goddess principle. I have great friendships with men, I live with a man - can you elaborate on this, for me?

Quote:
In a way, you and I are mirror opposites. I've almost completely sworn off human women, but maintain at least periodic contact with three Goddesses; Kali, Hecate, and now Aphrodite. You on the other hand live with a man, but largely refuse to interact with male Gods.
No refusal at all, I have tried and tried, but I prefer to work from a place of authenticity, which is a calling to the Mother. And that's all. If anything, I just miss the connection with a god that I have with the Mother.

Quote:
Yet ultimately, we are both doing the same thing. We are willingly shutting ourselves off from integration, healing, nurturing, and power. As hard as it is, I'm going to keep trying; and for your own sake, I would urge you to do likewise. I'm potentially losing far too much, to spend the rest of my life on the bench.
I do feel for your situation and I hope you are able to integrate and come to terms with all of this, no doubt Aphrodite can help (if you don't patronize Her, lol). But I do feel "integrated" - much of that came from my time in Jungian analysis when I had to confront a dark and destructive animus (and the Dark Mother that stands behind him). I don't have this gender hangup" in real life, I simply follow a path of the Divine Feminine. That's what I'm called to, and in no way am I confusing it with my feelings abut men in general.
sorry for the confusion here...and thank you for your deep and honest sharing. I'm truly sorry for the pain you have had to endure.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote