Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 10-06-17   #1
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default The painting known as "Hecate" by William Blake 1795

One of the many paintings one might encounter when doing searches for the goddess Hekate / Hecate is a painting by the English artist / poet William Blake. The piece was originally created Blake and recorded by him with no title but came to be known as either "Hecate", 'The Triple Hecate" or "The Fates" by most people. Yet today it is more properly known as "The Night of Enitharmon's Joy" based upon one of Blake's published books. Specifically, Europe: A Prophecy which was published in 1794. Which matches up pretty close to the creation date of the painting with it's creation date of 1795.

While the painting is still frequently cited as being Hekate / Hecate it is pretty well recognized now that that was a false conclusion.

The photo is still pretty popular in reference to Hekate / Hecate and used on book cover's and other form's of media. Sold as specific references to both witchcraft and Hekate / Hecate due to the earlier mis-equation with her. Yet ironically, if I read the reference'd material correctly and understand it correctly then Enitharmon's desire's and goal is very different from what the reference's to Hekate / Hecate would suggest.

The painting was somewhat analyzed and a fairly descent history provided in the attached PDF for those interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hecate (1).jpg (112.3 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 36.1.schiff.pdf (594.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 10-06-17 at 09:59 AM.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17   #2
Habilus

Default Re: The painting known as "Hecate" by William Blake 1795

I've seen it described as "Lillith" as well.
Old 10-07-17   #3
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: The painting known as "Hecate" by William Blake 1795

I could see how some of the imagery and darkness might suggest people to equate it to Lillith as well.

What gets me is the main image is three figures which is what inspires the Hekate / Hecate suggestion. Yet the three figures are actually a woman, a girl and a boy. Hardly the imagery of the 3 formed one. Then figure the dark woman is pointing her hand, specifically her finger to a passage upon a page in a book if you look closely and that just blows it away even more.

So in that light the whole idea of Hekate / Hecate being present sort of reverts back to the Shakespeare play Macbeth. You see the 3 Witches, hear them working and and presume Hekate / Hecate is present as they call her but she never actually appears. But it is implied she is just out of sight through the imagery.

Here the imagery and colors suggesting the connection. Yet Blake himself never actually saying it was, it was another person viewing it later who suggests that and other's simply accepting it.

Which really ties into modern paganism if you think about it. A person who saw what he / she wanted to see in the painting. Apparently unfamiliar with Blake's mythology and written work's. Lacking a deeper and educated understanding or connection to the material they were evaluating. As the attached PDF shows it took another person who was invested in the history and story of Blake's creation to recognize the true identity and symbolism of the painting.

You notice, when we get talking our threads seem to be like Alice's adventures through the looking glass or down the rabbit hole?