Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 07-08-09   #1
feranaja

Default Lughnasadh

Although Lughnasadh is a few weeks off, I thought we could start amassing information now and then sticky the thread for future reference. how do you all celebrate Lughnasadh? Is it a difficult festival to relate to? Is your emphasis more on the First Harvest aspect or on the Llugh mythos?
Share your rituals, poetry, recipes here.

A couple of my favourite links:

http://www.chalicecentre.net/lughnasadh.htm

http://www.mythinglinks.org/Lammas.html

Excerpt: "It's the dog days of summer, the gardens are full of goodies, the fields are full of grain, and the harvest is approaching. Take a moment to relax in the heat, and reflect on the upcoming abundance of the fall months. At Lammas, sometimes called Lughnasadh, it's time to begin reaping what we have sown throughout the past few months, and recognize that the bright summer days will soon come to an end.

Depending on your individual spiritual path, there are many different ways you can celebrate Lammas, but typically the focus is on either the early harvest aspect, or the celebration of the Celtic god Lugh. It's the season when the first grains are ready to be harvested and threshed, when the apples and grapes are ripe for the plucking, and we're grateful for the food we have on our tables."

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09   #2
Ludovic

Default Re: Lughnasadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafina View Post
Although Lughnasadh is a few weeks off, I thought we could start amassing information now and then sticky the thread for future reference. how do you all celebrate Lughnasadh? Is it a difficult festival to relate to? Is your emphasis more on the First Harvest aspect or on the Llugh mythos?
Share your rituals, poetry, recipes here.

A couple of my favourite links:

http://www.chalicecentre.net/lughnasadh.htm

http://www.mythinglinks.org/Lammas.html

Excerpt: "It's the dog days of summer, the gardens are full of goodies, the fields are full of grain, and the harvest is approaching. Take a moment to relax in the heat, and reflect on the upcoming abundance of the fall months. At Lammas, sometimes called Lughnasadh, it's time to begin reaping what we have sown throughout the past few months, and recognize that the bright summer days will soon come to an end.

Depending on your individual spiritual path, there are many different ways you can celebrate Lammas, but typically the focus is on either the early harvest aspect, or the celebration of the Celtic god Lugh. It's the season when the first grains are ready to be harvested and threshed, when the apples and grapes are ripe for the plucking, and we're grateful for the food we have on our tables."
I'm ashamed, I forgot a sabbat again...
Ludovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09   #3
feranaja

We have three weeks to go - plenty of time to prepare.

Shane Parrish
Old 07-11-09   #4
windspirit

I'm really looking forward to planning . I know some people find Lammas bitter sweet because it means the end of summer is coming but that's all part of the circle, isn't it.
Old 07-11-09   #5
feranaja

Lammas was always, to be honest, one of thse "blah" festivals that I had a hard time relating to, as was Imbolc. Initially I responded more to the Solstices and Equinoxes than the Cross Quarter days; I'd memorize the correspondences, make the right food, set up the altar and so on, but there was little in the way of inner understanding, attunement, transformation.

Then a few years ago, quite spontaneously, Lammas emerged as a time of great power for me personally. The energy here in the Hills is hard to describe, it's so magical. I was at the apex of personal happiness several years ago at Lammas and a month later was cut down badly, like the harvest itself. The whole cycle from now to the Equinox is laden with richness for me - we harvest our life's work, we lose it again. In our greatest fullness is the seed of our death. It's always been a struggle for me to accept this, but I am closer to it.
I suppose, illustrating that the longer we work with the Wheel, the more the Wheel works in us.

Shane Parrish
Old 07-11-09   #6
feranaja

Shane Parrish
Old 07-18-09   #7
androgino

Awesome picture Serafina! =)

I do not know what to do for Lughnasadh. Writing a hymn and then using it may be nice but who would I say it to? None of my deities are associated with this Celtic holy day. Not to mention I do not harvest crops. I think that the solstices, equinoxes, and full moons are my thing rather than the cross quarters.
androgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09   #8
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by androgino View Post
Awesome picture Serafina! =)

I do not know what to do for Lughnasadh. Writing a hymn and then using it may be nice but who would I say it to? None of my deities are associated with this Celtic holy day. Not to mention I do not harvest crops. I think that the solstices, equinoxes, and full moons are my thing rather than the cross quarters.

Isn't it beautiful? Glad someone else appreciated the imagery. I am not personally close to Demeter, but Her mysteries are of course a key element to understanding and experiencing Lammas.

I'm wondering, what about simply focusing on Lammas as First Harvest? honour the God/Goddess, give thanks for the blessings of the harvest, and take stock of whatever it is you are personally "harvesting" over the course of this turn of the Wheel. Would something like that work?

sera

Shane Parrish
Old 07-18-09   #9
windspirit

That should certainly work because , in effect, that's what Lammas is about. Our own internal machinations have reached a new point on the Wheel. It will be a different point by Samhain.
Old 08-01-09   #10
whitewater
Shark Whisperer

Eat some good ol' corn on the cob or have some southern-style corn bread and blackberry pie! Go out and enjoy the sun, have a picnic, take a walk. This is also a great time of year to stargaze - last year we had a meteor shower on Lughnasadh night. Do a quiet ritual if you like, but honestly, I think this is one of those sabbats that's best spent having fun outside and simply being thankful for the many wonderful things we've been blessed with.