Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-10   #1
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has
 
Toki Wartooth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 829

Reputation: 102
Default Beltane

I'm surprised this isn't a sticky yet? Or a thread at all? *Changes that*

For those of you who celebrate, what do you do for Beltane? And, what does Beltane mean to you?

Have you ever lead a Beltane ritual? How did that go?

The first ritual I helped run, just yesterday, was a Beltane-focused ritual. I am also helping in another Beltane ritual that's coming up. I'm excited.
__________________
2/7/1943 - 5/19/2009
Papi - I you. Always.
Toki Wartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10   #2
Nacken

 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 1,128

Reputation: 129
Default Re: Beltane

I've not led a Beltane ritual and seldom have led other rituals. I'm more like the door guy. I keep out the riff raff. But Beltane is my favourite festival. We sometimes are organized to have a Maypole, and have had something like plays where I or some others act out the rites of spring. Generally this involves chasing your female partner till you catch her, or being chased and letting him catch you. This is best done out of doors away from civilization, preferably with plenty of bushes and thickets for privacy.

Unfortunately this year it will probably be a private meditation in some clearing. But that is life too.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10   #3
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox
 
SunSister's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 4,503

Reputation: 507
Default Re: Beltane

Beltaine is my favourite. Around here, we still have May celebrations with a May Queen and all that.. and just across the border in Germany, they also have a May Pole and other celebrations. It's still a tradition here that everybody accepts quite readily and it's even connected with the churches over here. I can enjoy Beltaine a bit like that, but prefer to keep the rest of the celebration indoors. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it's going to be great.
__________________
She had studied the universe all her life, but had overlooked its clearest message:
for small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.
- Carl Sagan
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10   #4
Nuadu_of_Kildare

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,279

Reputation: 206
Default Re: Beltane

Fair play to you Toki, that sounds like good fun.

I usually go camping at a sacred site with a bunch of people and apart from a communal offering to the deity of the sacred site, there wouldnt be a group ritual. Religion is an austere and deeply personal thing for the people I know and we'd usually peel off individually throughout the night to do our own duties seperately.

Bealtaine to me is about renewing old aquaintances and renewing a sense of purpose by burning away all the dross of winter. A time to start on the things that have been put on the long finger, to help other people achieve their things or just to take time to consider and plan for the challenges ahead.

Ive been to some Druid rituals at Bealtaine but communing with deity through energywork is a different focus then id be used to, I probably wouldnt be experianced enough in energywork to lead a ritual. I enjoy the prep work though, Id be more the helper monkey where rituals are concerned heh.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10   #5
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing
 
Nightshade_Blooms's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: My mind provides me enough refuge.
Posts: 1,807

Reputation: 369
Default Re: Beltane

This will actually be my first Beltane. I plan to celebrate it by being outside most of the day. I'm also looking for any good recipes(I actually have a thread on it). Hope everyone has a great sabbat!
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. -Jack Layton
Nightshade_Blooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10   #6
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has
 
Toki Wartooth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 829

Reputation: 102
Default Re: Beltane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacken View Post
Generally this involves chasing your female partner till you catch her, or being chased and letting him catch you. This is best done out of doors away from civilization, preferably with plenty of bushes and thickets for privacy.
Oh, the chase sounds like such fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSister View Post
Beltaine is my favourite. Around here, we still have May celebrations with a May Queen and all that.. and just across the border in Germany, they also have a May Pole and other celebrations. It's still a tradition here that everybody accepts quite readily and it's even connected with the churches over here. I can enjoy Beltaine a bit like that, but prefer to keep the rest of the celebration indoors. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it's going to be great.
That's awesome. I'm glad people at large can do such things there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuadu_of_Kildare View Post
I usually go camping at a sacred site with a bunch of people and apart from a communal offering to the deity of the sacred site, there wouldnt be a group ritual. Religion is an austere and deeply personal thing for the people I know and we'd usually peel off individually throughout the night to do our own duties seperately.
Interesting...I was not aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade_Blooms View Post
This will actually be my first Beltane. I plan to celebrate it by being outside most of the day. I'm also looking for any good recipes(I actually have a thread on it). Hope everyone has a great sabbat!
Great! In whatever you do, may you enjoy your very first Beltane.

This wasn't exactly my first Beltane, but it was the first Beltane (and first ritual overall) in which I had a pretty "big" part. Tomorrow I'm meeting someone else to work on another Beltane ritual, one at the UU church I attend; I'm an assistant there...and I may or may not be doing something during the ritual itself. We'll see. Sometime after that planning, I'm attending a Beltane moon circle, though I'll be an audience-participant rather than do anything like handle oil or call a quarter (as far as I know, anyway).
__________________
2/7/1943 - 5/19/2009
Papi - I you. Always.
Toki Wartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10   #7
Nuadu_of_Kildare

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,279

Reputation: 206
Default Re: Beltane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki Wartooth View Post
Interesting...I was not aware.
Thats just how my type of neopagan celebrates, all the wiccans, druids, shamans et al do the full on bealtaine thing. Rituals, fertility the ale and the sex.

Quote:
This wasn't exactly my first Beltane, but it was the first Beltane (and first ritual overall) in which I had a pretty "big" part. Tomorrow I'm meeting someone else to work on another Beltane ritual, one at the UU church I attend; I'm an assistant there...and I may or may not be doing something during the ritual itself. We'll see. Sometime after that planning, I'm attending a Beltane moon circle, though I'll be an audience-participant rather than do anything like handle oil or call a quarter (as far as I know, anyway).
jany mac Toki you sound really involved in neopaganism in your area, fair play to you.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10   #8
Cassie
Lady of the Left

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,683

Reputation: 532
Default Re: Beltane

Beltane is my favourite festival. I have never really organised a ritual but I have taken part in several rituals organised by groups I am associated with.
To me it symbolizes renewal and the energy of Spring and Summer and, well, sexual energy and flirtation; letting go and feeling very human. It always fills me with a sense of energy and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacken View Post
Generally this involves chasing your female partner till you catch her, or being chased and letting him catch you. This is best done out of doors away from civilization, preferably with plenty of bushes and thickets for privacy.

.
We usually end up doing something similar but it begins with a more stylized sort of dance, often round a Maypole.

If I happen to be on my own around Beltane I usually try to go for a walk in the afternoon either in the country or by the sea and I try to make sure I have a party of some kind to go to in the evening.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10   #9
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has
 
Toki Wartooth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 829

Reputation: 102
Default Re: Beltane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuadu_of_Kildare View Post
jany mac Toki you sound really involved in neopaganism in your area, fair play to you.
Yeah, I'm generally pretty involved, though I've gotten even more and more involved.

Part of why I posted this thread was perhaps to get an idea of what I wanted to contribute to the UU/Mystic Grove Beltane...not sure I got ideas from this thread, but at least I'm in the "zone" and thinking about Beltane itself. I'm leaving soon to meet with a lady named C.R. (won't type her real name for "duh" reasons) at Panera to discuss. I'm sure things will pop into my head.
__________________
2/7/1943 - 5/19/2009
Papi - I you. Always.
Toki Wartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10   #10
Tuathasidhe
 
Tuathasidhe's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 168

Reputation: 18
Default Re: Beltane

I plan on celebrating with my DH...*cough*

Also being outside (weather permitting), cooking some fried honey cakes and just enjoying the day.
Tuathasidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Current time: 05:50 AM (GMT -4)


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2019, EarthSong Forums. Most rights reserved.