Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Paganism

Paganism A forum to discuss the various expressions of Paganism; ritual, theology, practice, history, method and cosmology

Old 07-10-10   #1
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Default The New Moon

I see from my widget on here that the New Moon is almost here

I have been having urges to do something for some reason on it and I was wondering:

Does anyone do any 'working' on the Dark Moon? Either magically or witchcraft or something shamanically or even something else of that I haven't thought of?

Also, what would be the reasons you do it on a Dark Moon as opposed to a different phase?

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #2
Nazurelle

Default Re: The New Moon

Super super New Moon thanks to the total solar eclipse.

whatever you start tomorrow is UBER important.
Nazurelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #3
Arvodd

New moon is great for new beginnings, combined with the eclipse (1830 ust if you need to know) a very good start, complete clearing of the decks and new dawn approaching.
Also, dark moon, good for dealing with dark aspects of nature, a meditation or working to the morrigan or hecate will go down well. Also a great time for dealing with all the idiots that make your life a pain. A good time to curse them till they glow and hex them in the dark.
I, too, have the urge to do a working tomorrow. I'll let you guess which way I'm leaning atm ;-)

Greed is fine, if practised in moderation

www.millstreamforge.co.uk.
Arvodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #4
petrus4
Leaper

The New Moon can be a time for Kali puja.

The waning moon is associated with decrease, decay, contraction, age, etc. Kali is (or can be) a Crone Goddess, or associated with that aspect, similar to Hecate, so that is an ideal time for worshipping her.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #5
Luna

Many relate the dark of the moon cycle to the winter, a time of rest and recuperation. A time to reflect on what we've done and what we're planning to do. Many feel this is not a good time to be doing spells or magic, as the moon is strong and yet her power is hidden and quite unpredictable during these few days. Some feel that it's a good time to do bindings and other "justice" spells. I've done one or two dark moon workings involving Hecate, but very rarely as I agree the energies are too unpredictable at this time.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

New Moon Money Spell

Recite the following five times on the night of the new moon:

From The Day
Beyond This Hour
Thrice Abound
My Fertile Flower.

My Bounty Wax
Within, Without
At Fullest Moon
Comes Broken Drought

And By The Like
Of Due Sixpense
My Purse Be Filled
In Nine Day Hence.

by Enchanted Oak

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10   #7
oonagh sidhe

i'm very happy about this new moon. certain things have come to a final end. the little bits of negativity that have been lingering are now going out and it feels wonderful.
generally, when the new moon is here i light sandalwood incense (no candles) and say a prayer (3 times) to clear away the old and make way for the new:

"when the moon is new be gone the past, old energies null i'm free at last. my magic is pure, my heart is free, my magic will lure what is meant to be. so let it be, amen"

i know that the "so let it be" and the "amen" together is redundant, but i do it anyway <g>
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10   #8
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Thanks for all your replies everybody it was very interesting to read them.

There is indeed a solar eclipse coming up today although I won't be able to see it unfortunately:
Quote:
On Sunday, 2010 July 11, a total eclipse of the Sun is visible from within a narrow corridor that traverses Earth's southern Hemisphere. The path of the Moon's umbral shadow crosses the South Pacific Ocean where it makes no landfall except for Mangaia (Cook Islands) and Easter Island (Isla de Pascua). The path of totality ends just after reaching southern Chile and Argentina. The Moon's penumbral shadow produces a partial eclipse visible from a much larger region covering the South Pacific and southern South America
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/...0/TSE2010.html

It is interesting about new beginnings as well. It's the only thing I really knew about new moon workings and in the last couple of days I've had a really strong urge to get back on my 'path' again more seriously including overcoming health problems. It was only afterwards when I noticed it was a new moon, so I wondered if there was a link. I don't normally get these strong urges with the new moon so perhaps this eclipse is somehow having an effect as people have suggested?

I will do some more tonight when it's the proper new moon, but last night I did some meditation and just really focused an intent to focusing more on my 'path' and dealing with health problems.

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #9
Luna

I know the title of the thread was "new moon" but I thought you were asking about doing working on the "dark of the moon". Confuzzled here.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10   #10
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

awes im sad, ididnt know there was an eclipse too! but i had to work through it anyway, stupid walmart.

oh well, the new moon explains why i had the urge to finally dye my hair again last night, back closer to my natural color but a bit lighter ^~^

aka this puppy is now blonde XD

also explains why i felt the need to purge my comp of old unused websites and files, hooray for more space and a faster computer!

as to be mor eon topic, im not sure of any shamnic practices that would be done, maybe a vision quest or something like that. i can imagine if your were just starting your journey a vision quest ont he new moon would be very powerful

it seems so odd that just a month ago the idiots across the street were dancing around a fire chanting at the last full moon XD good times good times, im just glad they didnt actually stir anything up >.<

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote