Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Animal Health and Healing

Animal Health and Healing for discussion of all aspects of animal care - diet, veterinary options, complementary and alternative medicine, all species and all methods.

Old 12-22-13   #21
DonelleBeira

Default Re: Opinions?

FYI - "bully breeds" have nothing to do with temperament but rather refer to breeds that have been developed from the Bulldog. They include the Boston Terrier, Boxer and Pug as well as the Pitty, Staffie and others considered to be bullies, in the more widely understood meaning of the term. The ability to latch onto a bovine's snout and hold on forever was bred from the English Bulldog into these other breeds called bully breeds. It is NOT a Pit or Staffie characteristic only. My Pug, Sophie, can demonstrate that for you with one of her toys quite happily.

If you can get someone to take the pup who is qualified to work with her, she may have a chance at a better life after a while. But please do not take this dog yourself - for both her sake as well as yours. I do so understand the heart-string tugs you are experiencing but you could very well be causing a much worse situation if you take her yourself because you are not qualified to deal with such a pup - of any breed. You simply do not have the experience or training under your belt for this, sweetie. You choose to surround yourself with enough danger as it is.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #22
Rubber_Duckie

Good info in the breed, I wasn't aware that "bully" was a common term, I thought it was just southern slang .. IMO breeds don't imply any set temperament, while it's true that some demonstrate hostile tempers more then others, one shouldn't consider all pit-bulls dangerous and all chihuahuas benign. I was mainly referencing the size of the dog, being that it's twice the size of a APBT.

Big dog and aggressive behavior are not healthy combinations-- On that side of the U.S, I would defiantly go with the pros help. If that dog got loose it could get ugly and 120 pound dog could eat like ten or fifteen babies .. At any rate it takes a BIG stick to shake at it. I sincerely wish the best for the dog, they make good pets and excellent hog-dogs if properly cared for and trained. It's unfortunate that these breeds face the rap that they do. They ARE the OWNERS responsibility, sometimes I think they should "put" the owners "down" with the dog.
"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do."~Socrates
Rubber_Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #23
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber_Duckie View Post
Good info in the breed, I wasn't aware that "bully" was a common term, I thought it was just southern slang .. IMO breeds don't imply any set temperament, while it's true that some demonstrate hostile tempers more then others, one shouldn't consider all pit-bulls dangerous and all chihuahuas benign. I was mainly referencing the size of the dog, being that it's twice the size of a APBT.
Just a nitpick from a dog-nerd; aggression can indeed occur in any breed or mix, and for a variety of reasons. but that said, temperament IS actually a part of any breed standard. Given the functionality of most breeds (tracking, herding, guarding etc) temperament is essential for dogs to perform their roles effectively. Labs should NOT be goofy, King Charles Spaniels should not be territorial (too much, lol) Ridgebacks should not be delicate and so on. Temperament is part of any breed; aggression is a problem that is not concentrated exclusively in any one.

and given that breeds have overall personality types and so do people, it's important to match the human to the dog. I could never have a goofy, needy, silly kind of a dog. But people who like an easytrain do well to avoid my breed of choice. I believe in matching temperaments before anything else.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #24
Rubber_Duckie

Why ya got nitpick on me ..... Nerd!

Very well put, maybe I'm not using "temperament" correctly, I should have said breeds don't make aggressiveness. That don't sound entirely correct either, I don't know what I was saying now...

I guess I's going for; Don't judge the breed- Judge the dog.
"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do."~Socrates
Old 12-22-13   #25
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

There is after all a genetic factor to personality. Aggression runs in families among humans as well. Gods know there's a history of hot and cold running tempers in my family, and I inherited it.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #26
Rubber_Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
Gods know there's a history of hot and cold running tempers in my family, and I inherited it.
Which one?

*hides under desk*