Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Animal Health and Healing

Animal Health and Healing for discussion of all aspects of animal care - diet, veterinary options, complementary and alternative medicine, all species and all methods.

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-13   #21
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Default Re: Should The Entire Pitbull Breed Be Euthanized?

I skimmed. I couldn't bring myself to read the entire original post.

LOT... That is probably THE dumbest post I've ever seen here.

Statistics are a mathematical method of proving anything you want. None of that shit means a damn thing.

I'm all for euthanizing ignorant, self centered, violent OWNERS. There's no such thing as a bad dog. I'm not an expect on dog behaviour, that I leave to Fera and Donelle.

What I am well versed in is the capacity of creatures to be inherently violent and cruel, and let me tell you, humans have more of that than anything else in the world. Wasps are a close second. Dogs, are at the bottom. They are deeply, deeply programmed to be loyal and loving to their pack, up to and including violently defending them.

Every dog is capable of violence, if they feel themselves or their family are threatened. No dog is ever violent for the sake of violence. Hunting dogs will kill prey animals, and a human may cause in a dog a pathological belief that everyone is a threat... But if a dog is aggressive for no obvious reason, they've been abused, period.

I can forgive ignorance. Knowledge being unavailable is not your fault, and it can be easily corrected. I can even forgive stupidity, because a limited capacity for understanding is also not your fault.

This, this is an extremely simple idea, and there's no possibility anything said in this thread was something you haven't heard before... So the original post can't be anything but willfully wrong, and that I don't forgive. It's the same crime against enlightenment committed by our friends at the Westboro Baptist Church.

That is all.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Old 12-15-13   #22
BigAl
Eclectic

Love the points being made here. I can only add an anectdote...

At one time in the UK, it was the Rottweiler which was on the "devil dog" radar. My aunt and uncle took over the running of the local village store, and recognising that their aging, rescue collie wouldn't be up to much should the place be raided (again), they picked up an abandoned Rottie. Friends, relatives, customers all advised how crazy it was to have a devil dog in the house, particularly as my cousin was a little over a few months old at the time...

Growing up, us kids LOVED him more than any other of the dogs we encountered (more working collies than you could shake a stick at). His sheer power meant that taking him for a walk usually meant a wild run, often pulled along the ground shouting in delight for him to stop! The most aggressive act that he ever indulged in was the mounting of an unsuspecting kid who would invariably find themselves in danger of being licked to death (or drowning - never believed so much slobber could come out of one animal... )

So... the big day arrives. The moment that he was adopted for. The break in!

My uncle, opens the back door. Noises off of breaking wood as the robbers attempt to enter the store room. "On you go!", encouraged my uncle. Nothing. The damn dog just sat there, looking up at him like he must have gone nuts or something. Finally, my uncle grabs a torch and heads into the darkness, brave and true guard dog trotting behind. When the dog finally sees the robbers in the act, what does he do? Runs, mounts the nearest (the other two are fleeing in terror before he actually lands on top of his quarry) and starts to lick him within an inch of his life...

Can't report here exactly what my uncle said about the whole incident. Needless to say, any report of aggression in a particular breed was taken rather lightly afterwards...

As a P.S., the nastiest little sh*t of a cur ever encountered was a dimunitive Jack Russell. It may only be your ankles that get it, but I'd take a Rottie or a Bull any day over one of these little buggers...
Old 12-15-13   #23
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

I've been attacked by a german shepherd, a labrador, and and a chihuahua. All three turned tail and ran without actually biting me. Damn cowards. Apparently, german shepherds think twice about actually biting someone who runs toward the snarling dog instead of away and hisses.

In all three cases, they had been trained by their owners to attack.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Old 12-15-13   #24
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I still hold my opinion, mainly, because anyone who is purchasing pitbulls and not living in a community that has laws about purchase, pedigree, breeding, sterilization, shots and identification, in actuality, supports the 100,000 dogs that will fight each other to the death tonight in Detroit. I liked the point on the jack russell dimuitively attacking, lol. I had a chow growing up, mixed with Newfie. He was great because he had the Newfie personality but I've met purebred chows and they're a bit skittish and off-kilter in personality. I guess I'm so appalled by pit bulls because I feel they're little different than a hyena or a wolf or wolf husky dog and when I used to work at the rabbit rescue (we took in all kinds of things), we couldn't ever take in pit bulls because we were a non-euthanasia shelter. I went ahead and called my county's pound about pit bulls and they told me that if they're not claimed in 72 hours, they're put down. They told me about 99.9% of them get put down as owners never show up or call. Some people are adamantly against euthanasia in pounds, but I would encourage anyone who feels that way to volunteer in one for a few weeks. The plight is disgusting and horrible but how else do we fix it? We'd have an average of 30 dogs within a few days at the rabbit rescue and if we couldn't find homes, we HAD to send them to the pound because the kennels would get too full with no one to take those poor dogs home. I remember once we got a bunch of fighting cocks. Our vet couldn't take the spurs out of their feet - they'd grown in fully, and we had to send them to the pound. It was sad. They were some of the most vicious animals I've ever encountered... Basically, I wanted to see how people would react to "euthanizing all pit bulls," which was interesting. But in reality, the problem I see is that owning the breed supports the sport. Unless some people failed to notice from the first post, I had said that I used to sleep in a doggy bed at two years old with two full grown male and female (fixed) pit bulls and I loved those dogs. Recently though, and a lot of my friends own this breed, one friend beat his pit bull so bad in front of me that I almost pulled out a knife on him. Then he found her sleeping in the warm wet clothes of the dryer another day and turned it on for a full cycle. That makes me sick. I want to protect the pit bulls, not hurt them. I'm just frustrated by how many are hurting people, given no "task" to do as all dogs get happy just from something as simple as carrying a backpack on a walk - they feel that they're doing a helpful task for people which is what most breeds were bred for. After watching a few ring videos to see the reality, it was saddening. Not as bad as when we talked about animal crush fetish and I "just had to know" what it was and watched rabbits getting slowly crushed to death by bare feet, but it was still disturbing. It took 2 hours for one pit to kill the other - after two minutes, I skimmed to the end cause I couldn't take anymore. At the end, the winner was laying down panting, "smiling," and looking as though he was proud and accomplished and had fulfilled his designed task

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
Old 12-15-13   #25
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Oh yeah, about my German Shephard puppy I'm getting... This question is for Fera. Is it worth it to spend $5,000 on a puppy from the world's best breeders that comes trained, fixed, pedigreed and vaccinated? You can get one off Craigslist for about $300, but you don't where it came from. It's a massive cost, but I love dogs, I love training them, and am good at it I might add... I'm naturally patient and have never, ever hit any animal. Also, from this breeding society, you can choose what your want your GS to be bred for (cadaver searches, drug sniffing, home security, etc.), and if it doesn't fulfill its job in five years time, you get either a new puppy or a reimbursement. I could never return a dog five years later though, lol. I want a dog that is as strong as the pitbull and rottweiler, but with a better personality and higher intelligence. They say after five demonstrations of a new trick, the GS performed the trick accurately 95% of the time and 80% remembered the trick seven days later with no practice between the initial training.

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 12-15-13   #26
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Oh yeah, one other interesting detail... The world record PSI for bite is 328lbs, and it was a Rott. I found out my little Catahoula who's only about 30lbs has a 300lb PSI bite. I also found out that they came from Greyhounds mixed with Red Tailed Foxes and were created by Native Americans. *Supposedly* they can handle opossums, skunks, raccoons, feral pigs, bob cats, and even mountain lions and black bears with NO CONTACT. Because they're part fox, they can supposedly look a big cat in the eye and tell it to leave the property and it will... They're like the whisperers of dogs. I had no idea until I researched my Cece yesterday... Go figure.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 12-15-13   #27
feranaja

Catahoulas are....part fox.

Err, no, that's incorrect.

LoT, you should not have a dog. Period full stop. I am sorry my irritation is showing so much but the attitudes and misinformation you've expressed here - you should not have a dog.
I don't even know where to start with the issues.
You didn't report the pond scum how beat his dog and turned the dryer on?
Just for starters.

Shane Parrish
Old 12-15-13   #28
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheTrees View Post
I still hold my opinion, mainly, because anyone who is purchasing pitbulls and not living in a community that has laws about purchase, pedigree, breeding, sterilization, shots and identification, in actuality, supports the 100,000 dogs that will fight each other to the death tonight in Detroit. ..
I'm sorry but your so full of bull shit on this the smell reeks through the monitor. It doesn't even require anything further for blind stupidity is still stupidity.
Old 12-15-13   #29
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I could say the same for you, MonSno, on many occasions and threads, however, I consider myself open-minded and polite and keep rash opinions to myself. You should try it sometime. They call it compassion in Buddhism.

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 12-15-13   #30
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheTrees View Post
I could say the same for you, MonSno, on many occasions and threads, however, I consider myself open-minded and polite and keep rash opinions to myself. You should try it sometime. They call it compassion in Buddhism.
They call it enabling the fool in most mystical systems. Your trying to justify a conclusion based upon pure faulty logic and disputable data.
Closed Thread