Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Animal Health and Healing

Animal Health and Healing for discussion of all aspects of animal care - diet, veterinary options, complementary and alternative medicine, all species and all methods.

Old 04-27-10   #1
tourmaline

Default Yearly boosters for animals?

Would be glad of any input of this: I keep getting told by various trainers that I am wrong to give my animals yearly boosters as the initial innoculations have done the job for life.

I've always felt that boosters were unnecessary and that I was over medicating my animals or putting them through jabs without good reason.

Typical of the information I can find on this is like so:

Only a few years ago, it was considered mandatory to bring your dog to the vet every year for his shots.
Times have changed.
Listen to what Dr. Christina Chambreau D.V.M. has to say about yearly vaccinations:
"Would you rebel if your doctor told you to get measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and hepatitis shots every year of your life until you died, instead of only a few doses as a child?"
People don't need yearly revaccinations. And veterinary immunological researchers now tell us: Neither do dogs and cats.

?
tourmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Yearly boosters for animals?

No one in the holistic world does yearly boosters anymore; it's been updated by the American veterinary association to three years, and pioneers in the investigation of this practise like Jean Dodds, recommend what's called the Colorado Protocol;

http://www.colovma.com/associations/...es%20final.pdf

Jean Dodds, on vaccinations:
CANINE VACCINATION PROTOCOL - 2005
MINIMAL VACCINE USE
Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It's a matter of professional judgment and choice.
AGE OF PUP
VACCINE TYPE
9 - 10 weeks
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy DPV)
14 weeks
Same as above
16 -18 weeks (optional)
Same as above
20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
Rabies
1 year
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV
1 year
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)
Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus annually thereafter. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver requires.

http://www.gdcww.org/html/Dr.%20Dodd...20Protocol.pdf

This is the protocol I follow with my own dogs; vax in puppyhood, but only for fatal diseases and also well spaced out; I titer at 5 years and re-do anything that's low.

As a canine nutritionist I am a little critical of Catherine O'Driscoll's diet book, but hr two works on canine vaccinations and it's consequences are required reading for anyone interested in natural health for dogs.

http://caninehealthconcern.weebly.com/books.html
Just some things to get you started. The days of yearly boosters are long gone for those of us in the know.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10   #3
tourmaline

Oh this is good info fera, thank you. I've put it into favourites and will be reading it all. I don't want Ruby (or Midnight) getting injected with stuff they don't need.

Old 04-27-10   #4
tourmaline

Ah, and only now do I see that I put this in the wrong forum (I didn't notice the Animal Health and Healing Section).

Sorry! Please move it whenever you like fera. Thanks.

Old 04-27-10   #5
feranaja

You're welcome, it can make such a difference in their longevity and health.
My dad was a vet, as you know - and I grew up believing to my core that only bad owners failed to vaccinate cats and dogs yearly. I had no idea those rabies vax were all good for three years, not one, so we were totally overdoing it. When I moved into a holistic way of caring for my companions I was quite shocked and filled with anger that I'd been overdoing something so potentially harmful. But we all live and learn! What's sad is that it can take a few generations of conservative vaccination (I do believe in SOME, I have seem Parvo, distemper and even rabies firsthand and I believe a dog with a healthy immune system can handle just those shots) to restore puppy health. So in other words, even if you raise your puppy with limited vax, good diet and positive reinforcement (eg low stress) you can still see a condition manifest related to the parents Purina diet and yearly vax. Many breeders I work with insist it takes 4 generations to get all that crap out of them.

When I see vets still giving the huge booster - I mean Lyme disease, Corona, Bordetella etc - to an aged dog with health conditions, or to a younger dog with cancer - I could just throttle them.

Jean Dodds and Catherine O'Driscoll are you best resources for making your own decisions. Good luck with it!

Shane Parrish
Old 04-27-10   #6
tourmaline

The advice and info is excellent thank you, fera.

Here, we don't have rabies in the U.K., and she's already had all the given jabs before.

So... I just don't take her (or Midi) for any more boosters? Just stop?

Old 04-27-10   #7
feranaja

How old is she, how many has she had, any health conditions?

What I have clients do, and some actually do it - is to print Dr. Dodd's information off (she is, after all, an international veterinary authority on the immune system) and bring it to the vet. I have them maintain a tone of respect and concern and refrain from sounding accusatory - this is easier with some clients than others, as you can imagine.
And if the vet is reasonable, he or she will comply. I have to deal with so many vets who resist the home made diets I formulate on the grounds I am not a vet - but when they actually see the diets, and read the veterinary references I've compiled over the years, *most* capitulate to "at least a trial". If a vet is so stodgy he or she won;t consider a diet or a modified vaccine protocol, I recommend switching. Loss of business speaks louder than anything, and if you are looking to a more natural method of care you need a vet who's on the same page.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-27-10   #8
enchanted_one
Kemetic Wiccan

We use the three-year rabies shot in my state. One thing to keep in mind is that not all states acknowledge the three year rabies shot. My dad lives in Alabama where they do not acknowledge it. If he goes to a vet in Florida and gets the three year shot there, Alabama will still require him to get shots for his dogs the following year. It's a perfect example of the government ignoring advancement in medicine and just doing what they want. As for boosters, I would ask several vets. My baby had his initial set of vaccines as a puppy. When they re-did his rabies shot at age three, they gave him a booster too. I don't expect him to get any other injections until he is 6. Be sure to get him/her a heartworm pill though. Heartworm is a dumb reason to lose your best friend. Keep in mind that the vet must do a blood test to see if your dog has heartworm before you start giving him/her the pill. This test is standard and runs $20 or so. It takes just minutes so it is no big deal. If you want to avoid giving them the test every year then keep them on the heartworm medication year round.
enchanted_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10   #9
tourmaline

She's had three shots but they formed her "initial jab" at 10-12 weeks old. She's now 14 months and due the next shot. She's a tough, bonny and very healthily vibrant English Springer Spaniel and *touch wood* has never had any kind of illness or sickness whatsoever.

I'm not worried about standing up to vets (or farriers, etc ) to get what's right for my animals (I've known vets here to treat a simple cut on a horse's leg and inject god knows what several times until the owner's bill was over 1400; and she was too unnerved to tell them "Stop". Not me).

But even so, I think I will print off and take down some info - just because by now they ought to be in the loop about this stuff.

Thanks, fera.

Old 04-27-10   #10
feranaja

I might booster rabies at 14 months but you don't have it in the UK, and the the thing is, any purebred has a greater risk of reaction than a mix (generally speaking). If you do booster, use the homeopathic Thuja to offset reaction. I see no need to booster Parvo, etc. but each dog's lifestyle should be considered fully, how much time she will be in city parks, in the woods etc. I hate the lepto vax but if there's a high risk situation, much like the heartworm that EO mentioned, I'd do it. And focus on building immune strength via good diet, herbs, exercise and lotsa fun.

I am not a purist, not in the no-vax camp, but I never do a single shot more than common sense suggests I need to. I've seen literally hundreds of reactions from epilepsy to cancer. There's just no way in God's green earth I'd vaccinate any dog yearly, or for stuff like kennel cough.
Let us know what you decide.

Shane Parrish