Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Minerals and Stones

Minerals and Stones Metaphysical properties and uses of minerals, stones, gemstones and crystals

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
feranaja

Default The Dark Side of Crystals

This isn't exactly news, but a quick search didn't reveal another thread, os here we go. It's widely known that not all crystals are ethically sourced, but it can be so hard to find out the provenance of your own. How has this knowledge affected your buying habits? I have a page long list of crystals I want to acquire and I've all but stopped collecting until I can figure out who is safe to buy from. You?

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...rlds-suffering

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Brigidrose
Scrivener

Default Re: The Dark Side of Crystals

I have heard this as well about the crystals.

I have gotten some online years ago. She was from Arkansas and ran a place where you could actually mine them yourself. Her online store has since disappeared but she still has the place for tourists.

I do cleanse my crystals when I bring them home, just to get rid of residual energy from others touching.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
feranaja

I'm hoping Lightdragon may come in and help us find ethical sources? I'm in love with crystals (like everybody else) and just don't want to support unethical suppliers.

It seems everything on earth is tainted with consumerism. I just bought a pair of shoes online I thought were pretty "Druidy" but without knowing the provenance of the leather...NOT very Druidy... I think I will only buy vegan shoes in future unless I know 100% where the material came from.Not that cats and dogs lives are worth so much more than cows and deer, but the way they are tortured in Asia is an abomination. And yes, the leather from those animals makes its way into things like gloves and shoes.
Sorry for the brutal digression...but I feel we who work magic need to know both where our tools come from, and how to take action against this sort of thing.

THis source looks reliable. I'll make a resource File here and in other forums, for ethical suppliers (leather, herbs) we can support without contributing to the pillaging of the earth.

https://www.kacha-stones.com/healing...e-c102x2284575

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Brigidrose
Scrivener

I agree...thanks for the sources. I want to be more careful as well.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

I wasn't aware of this at all, which goes to show how little awareness is spread in the community about it. None of the crystal shops I've gone to have ever shared insight into how their stones are being sourced. I have barely purchased any in recent months and think I'll be even more careful about buying them in future, though I wouldn't know about European retailers worth their salt on this..
SunSister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Have to admit "Source" was not what I was thinking about when I read the title to this post. I mean procurement of the material is a darkside to the industry but it's not the only darkside I see when I think of crystals and people.

As bad as procurement is for me the darker aspect is what people go through or put themselves through to obtain their desired crystal. The amount of money they dump into getting those special crystals with their air pockets or impurities and such. Maybe some of you might remember some of the post by Lady of the Tree's and the amount of money she dumped into getting those special crystals with the air pockets in them. All because she was convinced they gave the crystal added magical powers. Always reminded me of the P. T. Barnum idea of a fool and their money are soon parted.

Then you have the slant that so much of the market is aimed at the young foolish new ager or the pagan wantabee. Was bad enough when you had strong covens or groups to semi protect the gullible but now so many are self initiated / dedicated that they have no support systems. They walk into the shops or on-line shoppers alone. Of course now a crystal does everything and anything, and the bigger the better.

In some ways it's a catch 22. The community talks about the exploitation of those who mine the crystals or minerals. Yet they also go on about owning the crystals and such to the extent that it encourages everyone new to the program to want them and have to have them. So the older group many times drives the younger group in having to have them. The drive perpetuates the need to mine them which keeps the exploitation going. The crazy cycle simply progress about the wheel from old to new to old to new, rotation to rotation. Each cycle growing larger and larger in its consumption and demand.

Crystals and minerals I don't even recall being a thing in the 1980's or 90's. A few might have collected but as a curiosity more than anything. New Age didn't really exist to any extent at the time. For certain they didn't appear in every store and were a niche market when they did. Had a better chance of finding them in a geology store than anything else.