Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Enchantment > Otherkin

Old 02-19-11   #1
Lelitu

Default Vampires - what are they

A Piece I wrote some time about vampires
and what we are
this is of course, drawn from my own experiences, and may not match others.

This is intended to be the first in a series of articles, written by a vampire, about vampires, starting with the most important question. what is a vampire?

Vampires, as I will be discussing here, are otherwise normal humans, with no superpowers, no paranormal abilities beyond what any human can learn, and generally seem and act like any other human.

We are not the vampires of myth or fiction, and I will not write about those beings in this piece.
though there are some similarities, it is best to regard the two as completely separate.

I would also like to draw a sharp distinction between those people, who feed on drama and strife in their own life, and vampires. these people are incredibly emotionally draining to be around, but are not necessarily vampires in the sense I am speaking of.

We literally could be anyone, your neighbour, or workmate, or lover, or friend, or parent, and for the parents here, your child. all without you ever knowing.
For myself, I am a fairly normal college student, you certainly would not be able to tell I am a vampire by looking at me.
though there are some noticeable effects on the aura when a psivamp is hungry, or feeding.

there are some elements in common amongst most vampires, and across types
the need to feed is common to all vampires.
this often manifests as a hunger that no food will sate
or a thirst that no drink will ease.

while "secondary" symptoms, caused/exacerbated by not feeding are highly variable, some of the most common, in no particular order:

• tiredness/weakness
  • irritability
  • sunlight sensitivity
  • exacerbation of existing medical conditions
  • weakened immune system
  • headaches
  • migraines
  • insomnia
  • oversleeping

this is by no means an exhaustive, nor even an extensive list of possible secondary symptoms. no combination of these symptoms can be considered a cause for self diagnosis, and if present should be checked medically before vampirism is considered. these same symptoms can be indications of several potentially lethal health issues.

For all the negative symptoms, there can be some perks as well
such as:

• Improved senses (I see significantly better at night than most, though my other senses are fairly weak).
  • Empathy is fairly common, which can be rather two edged.
  • Energywork/Magick may come more easily than for many.
  • Charisma - it's not uncommon for us to have an uncanny ability to draw people in, and make them trust us.

as above, this should not be considered an exhaustive or extensive list of possible perks, and a vampire may have any, all or none of those listed. also, these perks do not go much if at all beyond the human norm.

Vampires are classified into 3 main types, based on how they feed

Psychic or Energy vampires.
These people are those that for some reason, need to feed on energy, particularly human energy
There are several subdivisions within this category, based on the types of energy that are fed on.
Eros is an example of such, these vampires feed on the energy released during sex, and sexual behaviour(very tasty it is too ).

Sanguinarian.
A vampire who needs to feed on blood
These people cannot gain what they need from energy. at best(if at all) energy can be used to take the edge off the thirst, as a substitute if you will, and a poor one at that.

Hybrid vampires, such as myself, require both energy and blood.
for me, blood is the dominant need. energy can be used to extend the time between blood feeding's, but the longr I go without blood, the more energy is required.
some are psi dominant, others, more balanced with no real dominant side.

Ethics

we have many different ethical codes, much like normal humans.
Also much like normal humans, we are only as "evil", or "good" as our actions, we really are just normal people.
for myself as an example, I follow a simple rule "If it harms none, do as you will."

perhaps the most important part of this post deals with the commonly accepted ethics around feeding.
  1. One should only feed with explicit permission.
  2. Those under the age of consent, should not be fed upon.
  3. The elderly or ill, should not be fed upon. as they require all the energy/blood they have.

For blood feeding, there are legal and safety issues to consider, which are outside the scope of this article. biting is however extremely frowned upon because of the damage and pain inflicted.

For energy feeding, there are some further possibilities to consider.
It is widely regarded as ethical to feed on the ambient energy given off by a group of people, and in some situations such as parties, sports events and concerts, there may be vast amounts of ambient energy.

however, it is equally widely regarded as highly unethical to feed on the personal energy of many people in the crowd despite the fact that there may be enough people in the crowd that the energy loss could only be noticed by the most sensitive and experienced energy workers.

this is an extremely shallow overview of the topic, primarily covering briefly what a vampire is.
this will hopefully be the first in a series of short articles exploring this in more depth.
Lelitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11   #2
The Black Elf

Default Re: Vampires - what are they

Do you mean the rubber fanged hollywood monster's or the elder race of humanoid which can smell your fear from a 1,000 miles,leaves slimey poisenous footprints in it's wake,strokes your soul then eats it,before it sucks you dry?muhahahahahahaha,makes a hammock out of your stretched skin & drinks from your dead skull.

*moves slow & measured like an ante-deluvian Vampyre........*

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11   #3
Lelitu

neither, I mean what I wrote, was that somehow unclear?

but then, I should be used to this reaction by now.
*shrugs*
Old 02-19-11   #4
The Black Elf

I like dipping my chips in a bloody steak,& there is no harm in taking a wee energy snack from someones unwanted,discarded or deemed superflous energy.

I love the entire fanged family,from the tiniest spider to the largest,oldest VOIDian War Dragon.

It is more of a soul thing for me.I like gathering tasty souls & watching them progress,or not as the case me be.

Your descriptions sound very.......vanillah?

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11   #5
Cran'Thun
My little buttercup

On topic please, TBE. This is a serious thread about modern day vampires as otherkin, not Void and not Hollywood.
Cran'Thun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11   #6
Blackwolf
Faery Path Elder

Keep going , Lelitu...

Overall , well written , and informative for those
who are unaware as to the dynamics of the "vampyre"...

Reality is in between...

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11   #7
Lelitu

thank you Blackwolf, it's aimed at those that have little or no prior knowlege of vampires as a form of otherkin

I do have a couple more written in the series
which I shall post later
however, i've been rather distracted from writing lately, and really should get on with these

None so blind as zie who will not see
Old 02-19-11   #8
isolar

Very interesting post, Lelitu. I am keen to read more when you are ready.
Old 02-20-11   #9
petrus4
Leaper

When living with my ex-girlfriend, I could sleep for ten hours, go into her bedroom and talk to her for 45 minutes, and then go back into my room and sleep for another four hours. I can't be around her for more than around 30 minutes, to this day, without my body starting to feel like lead.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-11   #10
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Thank you, Lelitu, for such a clear and well-written start of this topic. You have covered everything I know about the vampire community, so I am looking forward to your more in-depth look at the subject. I have always felt very welcomed by them and most of them have always come across as very responsible and mature individuals. I respect these vampires who know what they are doing and know how to feed responsibly.

Looking forward to hearing more!
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote