Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Pantheism

Pantheism The 'All is One and One is All' Forum for discussion of Pantheism and related beliefs.

Old 06-09-11   #11
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

Default Re: Is Awe Enough?

But that approach ignores cultural precedence and religious intent. The crucifix is meant to represent Christianity, the Star of David is meant to represent Judaism, etc.

The Ankh is but a symbol of life used by the Ancient Egyptians in their hieroglyphs but not a particular faith or belief, it seems to me appropriate to use it for Pantheism because ultimately all life is key to my faith.

Certainly anyone can adopt any symbol but it should be done with some consideration, especially if that symbol is currently being used by someone else of a different belief.
TygerTyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11   #12
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
But that approach ignores cultural precedence and religious intent. The crucifix is meant to represent Christianity, the Star of David is meant to represent Judaism, etc.

The Ankh is but a symbol of life used by the Ancient Egyptians in their hieroglyphs but not a particular faith or belief, it seems to me appropriate to use it for Pantheism because ultimately all life is key to my faith.

Certainly anyone can adopt any symbol but it should be done with some consideration, especially if that symbol is currently being used by someone else of a different belief.

consideration? well, if you see all that exists as divinity how can you be anything other than considerate? is not their belief just as divine as yours?
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #13
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonaghsidhe View Post
consideration? well, if you see all that exists as divinity how can you be anything other than considerate? is not their belief just as divine as yours?
Yes, and consequently I would not seek to use their symbol for my own beliefs when I know that the two differ on some crucial points.

Integrity would lead me to find one of my own that I thought fulfilled the need without either annoying others or confusing issues.
TygerTyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #14
The Black Elf

Standing in awe is self defeating.

Being in awe is so different from actually being awesome,which is far more productive

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11   #15
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
Yes, and consequently I would not seek to use their symbol for my own beliefs when I know that the two differ on some crucial points.

Integrity would lead me to find one of my own that I thought fulfilled the need without either annoying others or confusing issues.

i understand, though am not sure i agree.
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote