Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Pantheism

Pantheism The 'All is One and One is All' Forum for discussion of Pantheism and related beliefs.

Old 10-03-12   #1
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Talking Help! I'm turning into a pantheist...

As part of my explorations on Taoism I was having a look at this book today:

Amazon Amazon

On page 133 I read the following:

Quote:
In itself the Dao is nameless because -- although it is the source of everything that exists -- it lacks particular qualities. In a favourite Daoist metaphor: the Dao is an unhewn block; all the things that exist are produced from this block when it is carved up. The block itself, or the Dao, cannot be named, but at the same time it is the source from which all nameable things come to be... the metaphor of the unhewn block also suggest a different idea. The Dao isn't merely the source of all things (in the way that God in the Christian tradition is regarded as the source of all things); rather the Dao itself takes form in all things. It is as though the Dao were a sort of unformed substance out of which all the individual things that exist are made. Another way of putting it is to say that the Dao is immanent within all things rather than transcendent to them.
I thought to myself uh oh ... that sounds familiar

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #2
TygerTyger
Philosoraptor

Default Re: Help! I'm turning into a pantheist...

The truth will out I tell you!
TygerTyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #3
oonagh sidhe

yuppers
some taoists are more panentheistic, but this does seem quite pantheistic i'm afraid
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #4
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
The truth will out I tell you!
Either that or all our conversations have brainwashed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonagh sidhe View Post
yuppers
some taoists are more panentheistic, but this does seem quite pantheistic i'm afraid
uh oh ... looks like you're stuck with me, for the time being, in this forum

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #5
DonelleBeira

Quote:
In itself the Dao is nameless because -- although it is the source of everything that exists -- it lacks particular qualities. In a favourite Daoist metaphor: the Dao is an unhewn block; all the things that exist are produced from this block when it is carved up. The block itself, or the Dao, cannot be named, but at the same time it is the source from which all nameable things come to be... the metaphor of the unhewn block also suggest a different idea. The Dao isn't merely the source of all things (in the way that God in the Christian tradition is regarded as the source of all things); rather the Dao itself takes form in all things. It is as though the Dao were a sort of unformed substance out of which all the individual things that exist are made. Another way of putting it is to say that the Dao is immanent within all things rather than transcendent to them
This resonates a great deal with me, as does much of Pantheism. However, I remain a polytheist in the sense that I do believe in the gods/goddesses as aspects of a single source - whether a single "god/goddess" or something more along the lines of "the unhewn block", I am coming more and more to feel all things came from one source. From my infantile understanding, where Pantheist see the Universe/science, I see the Goddess but we all see aspects / qualities of the same source.

Not sure that makes much sense but there you have it....for today. (I remain a work in progress, thankfully. )

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #6
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by green aventurine View Post
uh oh ... looks like you're stuck with me, for the time being, in this forum
there are far worse things
Old 10-03-12   #7
oonagh sidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
This resonates a great deal with me, as does much of Pantheism. However, I remain a polytheist in the sense that I do believe in the gods/goddesses as aspects of a single source - whether a single "god/goddess" or something more along the lines of "the unhewn block", I am coming more and more to feel all things came from one source. From my infantile understanding, where Pantheist see the Universe/science, I see the Goddess but we all see aspects / qualities of the same source.

Not sure that makes much sense but there you have it....for today. (I remain a work in progress, thankfully. )
makes total, panentheistic, sense
Old 10-03-12   #8
Cassie
Lady of the Left

I think a lot of my views are pantheistic. (I'm still a Satanist though! In the quote at the top the unhewn or uncarved block also reminds me of something Plato said about the world of ideas or forms that everything else is derived from. I think the best ideas get expressed in different ways in different philosophies in different times.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #9
feranaja

ga, I don't see this as pantheism, although I am not as much up on all the terms and subterms etc as I used to be. For me, you can see the sacred in all things but not see everything as sacred, if that makes sense. Pantheists believe EVERYTHING is sacred, everything is God. I believe there is a spark of divinity in all life but there is a distinct and important difference there.
Certainly not saying I have "The Truth" or anything but my own sense of spirit is much more animistic than pantheist - and I suspect that's true of this paragraph you quoted.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12   #10
oonagh sidhe

Another way of putting it is to say that the Dao is immanent within all things rather than transcendent to them.

this would be the blatantly pantheistic part.