Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > The Venus Forum

The Venus Forum For all topics specific to women; health, beauty, relationships, career, spirit.

Old 11-13-09   #1
sweet_valerie

Default The Vegan Diet

I've been thinking of going vegan for my own health. I take prenatal vitamins just to pack in those extra minerals and such that my processed food diet leaves out. If I do eat only veggies and fruit will that vitamin be enough to get in all I'll be leaving out?
Old 11-13-09   #2
StevieHummingbird
Indescribable(<3)

Default Re: The Vegan Diet

Jeez going vegan is hard!
I mean you have to have a diet plan, that why I choose just to be a vegetarian.
I mean it is a lot of responsibility.
StevieHummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09   #3
sweet_valerie

Of course I care about the animals but I just want to be lean. Veggies are miracle plants.
Old 11-13-09   #4
feranaja

No, it won't. you can't possibly meet your body's requirements for protein, essential fatty acids, iodine, Vitamins A and D, plus minerals (calcium, manganese, zinc, copper, magnesium, selenium and iron) and B12 will be very problematic even with a multi. you should add nuts, legumes, seeds like quinoa and wild rice and pumpkin, as well as coconut and olive oils.
A vegan diet requires heavy supplementation to provide adequate, much less optimal nutrition. In addition to gross deficiencies of multiple nutrients, the enormous phytate, oxalate and fiber levels actually inhibit absorption of the mineral that is present. you may get away with it for a while but in the long term you will damage your body with this. Can I ask what your goals are in going vegan? Are you motivated by animal welfare concerns, by health worries?

A lacto/ovo diet is far more easily managed for the average person. If you can include eggs and yogurt you can meet some protien and B12 needs there, and more calcium for starters. but still need supplementation. more than a multi, although a prenatal covers more iodine than the usual varities and often more folic acid.
Not to be a party pooper, but this is not a healthy longterm diet.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09   #5
StevieHummingbird
Indescribable(<3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
No, it won't. you can't possibly meet your body's requirements for protein, essential fatty acids, iodine, Vitamins A and D, plus minerals (calcium, manganese, zinc, copper, magnesium, selenium and iron) and B12 will be very problematic even with a multi. you should add nuts, legumes, seeds like quinoa and wild rice and pumpkin, as well as coconut and olive oils.
A vegan diet requires heavy supplementation to provide adeqaute, much less optimal nutrition. In addition to gross deficiencies of multiple nutrients, the enormous phytate, oxalate and fiber levels actually inhibit absorption fo the mineral that is present. you may get away with it for a while but i the long term you will damage your body with this. Can I ask what your goals are in going vegan? Are you motivated by animal welfare concerns, by health worries?

A lacto/ovo diet is far more easily managed for the average person. If you can include eggs and yogurt you can meet some protien and B12 needs there, and more calcium for starters. but still need supplementation. more than a multi, although a prenatal covers more iodine than the usual varities and often more folic acid.
Not to be a party pooper, but this is not a healthy longterm diet.
As I said it is a hard plan to go through, so much....
I do not have the patience.
StevieHummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09   #6
sweet_valerie

I agree, I believe I should go lacto ovo. that would be alot more benefitial. My goal is to be healthy.
Old 11-13-09   #7
aedria

Your first task, if you want to be healthy, is to get rid of those processed foods.
Old 11-13-09   #8
sweet_valerie

That does sound interesting. I've successfully had no meat whatsoever today.
Old 11-13-09   #9
Fethenwen

Yeah, I would say, start vegetarian. And when you feel like it, drop more and more animal products from your diet.
It is tricky going vegan, but I have come to this point myself now. There is plenty of protein, iron and calcium in legumes and the like. The only thing you might have to worry about is vitamin D if you spend less than 15 minutes in the sunshine daily, and vitamin B12.
To stop drinking milk and eat cheese has been easy, I have gotten enough calcium and protein daily But at first I had to keep a diary of what I ate. I find milk and cheese unhealthy anyway, and eggs have too much cholesterol.

Well, I'm just gonna quote little ol' Debbie http://debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com/
here who blogs about rawfood and vegan diet, she really seems to summarize well the facts nicely that are spread around the internet:
Quote:
So who's likely to have on osteoporosis problem?

Ironically, those eating animal foods...

Studies in recent years have suggested that those eating meat and dairy products (who, according to Joseph Pizzorno ND 'Total Wellness' only ingest 40-50% of the RDA anyway) will then be losing calcium from their bones through eating those very foods!

This is because: for healthy bones we need a 1.5:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus in our diets. Problem is...meat contains 10 to 20 times as much phosphorus as calcium, and, overall, those on a standard diet including meat consume roughly 2 to 4 times as much phosphorus as calcium (University of Maryland Medical Center). When there is more phosphorus than calcium in the system, the body leeches calcium from the bones. Result - some body functions protected, but at the expense of teeth and bones.

Meat and fish have an acidic effect on the body. And, as above, our bodies try to correct this by taking (alkaline) calcium from the bones. Eskimos eat a lot of fish; they also have a high rate of osteoporosis. After the age of 40, Eskimos of both sexes have a 10-15% greater bone loss than the US average.

There is also too much phosphorus in cows' milk. Harvard School of Public Health compared post-menopausal women drinking three glasses of milk a day with a control group who didn't. The milk group lost bone at twice the rate of the control group. Osteoporosis is more common in Westernized countries where consumption of dairy is high. We're told to eat dairy for calcium, but although it may contain calcium, it's difficult for our bodies to get it. The calcium is wrapped up in a sticky protein called casein, and the only thing able to split casein is rennet. Humans only produce this when they are babies. The problem is exacerbated when milk is pasteurized. The complex organic salts of calcium and magnesium, in conjunction with carbon and phosphorus, are decomposed by heat, resulting in the precipitation of insoluble calcium phosphate salts. These inorganic salts are not assimilable by the body.
Another problem with eating protein such as flesh or dairy is that the stomach has to work hard to break these foods down, and has to secrete significant amounts of hydrochloric acid to do so. The liver then has to neutralize that acid to prevent burning of the small intestine. The major element in the bile salts produced is...calcium. The bodies of those who consume lots of dairy (and most on the standard cooked diet do) are likely to run out of stored calcium to cope with the onslaught of all the 'concentrated protein' food and, again, leech it from the bones.
Interestingly, the American Dietetic Association in 1993 said that the daily calcium allowances recommended were increased because of the calcium losses incurred by the typically high-protein diet!

(note vegans still need to be following a healthy diet as salt, alcohol and carbonated drinks such as Coke (not applicable to raw vegans of course!) can all contribute to calcium loss).
People should be less concerned about the amount of calcium they're taking in, and more concerned about the things they're putting into their bodies that are interfering with calcium absorption, and causing their bodies to leach calcium from the bones to correct internal ph. As healthy raw vegans won't be ingesting any of those things, the raw vegan is likely to need to ingest far less calcium than a person on a standard cooked diet.
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09   #10
feranaja

One of the best thinsg a layperson can do in terms of their own diet is to use this tool to ascertain the actual content of a recipe or a day of food, and contrast it with their actual requirements.
www.nutritiondata.com

I use this site to teach canine dietary formulation, and people are always amazed how far off their estimations are.
be very careful what you believe and what you eat.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote