Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Animal Health and Healing

Animal Health and Healing for discussion of all aspects of animal care - diet, veterinary options, complementary and alternative medicine, all species and all methods.

Old 04-14-17   #21
pomba gira

Default Re: Pet food

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Evanger's had a nasty recall recently. I think it was well handled, but still.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/additio...g-food-recall/

Yes, I remember that. Got the alert. None of the affected product even made it to my state. These things are worrisome, yes, but one recall in 80-odd years is a very good track record compared to most "human grade" meat.
https://vimeo.com/36787755

There are some companies claiming to be free range, organic, etc., but that comes down to trust, too. Often it turns out to be a lie. Unless we have the time and resources to raise our own livestock, we're rolling the dice, taking someone's word that their product is what they actually claim it is. It's easy enough for us to stop eating meat if we want to, but dogs need it.

Evanger's had a cluster****, but they do seem to actually care about maintaining a good rep and living up to it, which is more than I can say for most.
pomba gira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-17   #22
feranaja

There are definitely concerns on all levels of the food chain, I have to say Acana and Fromm have the best records, and I like Open farm as well. I buy most of my guys meats from local farmers, and I buy in bulk so to speak, and I know how the animals live and die. But it's a frightening expense and of course, not everyone has the ability to do the same. There are many aspects to optimal health, and if people cannot totally optimize the dogs diet, they can seek intelligent veterinary care, exercise more, minimize exposure to toxins. A happy well exercised dog who isn't over-vaxxed etc may live longer on a mediocre food than one who is stressed out and eats the best of the best. So many factors, we are all doing the best we can.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-17   #23
pomba gira

I wouldn't trust the mediocre foods. They used to be fine, but they've gone horribly, horribly wrong. When I was a kid, you almost never saw canine cancer. People were feeding Purina, Alpo, Ken-L-Ration, Top Kick, they were smoking around the dogs, nobody even thought about taking precautions because the dogs weren't getting it.

Now you see dogs getting cancer all the time. I blame the quality slide in the food - the time frame fits. Correlation does not equal causation, true, but you can't feed a dog corn, tumors, growth hormones and euthanized pets and expect everything to be OK.
Old 04-14-17   #24
feranaja

I certainly hope you don't think that's what I was saying!! :O

It's simply that, in over 5000 clinical cases and 20 years experience, with my (pending) Master Herbalist thesis on canine cancer, I see it as a multifactorial disease, and I do my best to support the health of dogs whose owners can't feed the 125$ a bag stuff I like to see them feed, if they're not able to feed home made.

Just FYI - of the probably 2000 cancer cases I've worked on over the past 17 years, only a small fraction were on those crappy foods. Most people who hire a clinical herbalist/nutritionist are already well on the road to holism before the dog got cancer. I've lost 2 dogs to cancer, that were both fed state-of-the-art diets. I agree entirely that the cereal based, 4-D foods are terrible for health, of course I do But there are myriad other factors...environmental, over vaxxing, bad breeding practises - just trust me on that.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-14-17   #25
pomba gira

I had one dog get cancer, in 2015. Malignant melanoma.
I was well aware of the Texas A&M study where they found that the "1 year" rabies vaccine was actually good for several years, and there were many years that we flew under the radar (my state requires annual rabies vaccines, regardless.) He was mostly an indoor dog and chances were slim to none that a rabid coon would drop out of a tree on him when I was leash walking him.
He got parvo soon after I got him and recovered. Horrible, but it gave him a lifetime immunity according to my vet.
I really don't see distemper, etc., anymore. I think the vaccines are like flu shots - a herd immunity thing
So basically the only thing I had to prevent on a regular basis was heartworms - there is a lot of heartworm around here But I did the same for other dogs years ago.
The kids were home in those years, I was working a shit job, everything was on a shoestring. He was by no means overvaccinated. He just ate bad food. The same brands my childhood dogs ate, but no good anymore.
He was a mutt - Chow temperament and color, Heeler body structure, his dam looked like a spaniel mix. No inbreeding in any recent generations, backyard breeders, puppy mills, etc.
He was 13, but still. That dog would have made it to 16 anyway.
The food is the one, obvious big difference.
I will always blame the damn food.
Old 04-15-17   #26
feranaja

One animal doth not a study make. I am sorry you blame yourself - but clearly we see this issue differently.
If it would make you feel better, i have reams and reams of science on cancer in dogs, as well as my clinical experience, I'm happy to share. Maybe your dog did diet at 13 (not a bad age at all for the breed-type you're describing) from cancer initiated by junkfood .But it's important to remember that good diet never guarantees your animal won't get sick, nor does a poor diet *always* cause cancer. It's just a whole lot more complex than that.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-15-17   #27
pomba gira

Not science, true. And there's no guarantees in life, I agree (well, death and taxes...) but I'll always wonder if that particular nasty bullet could have been dodged if I'd done things differently. It would be one thing if his heart just gave out at 13 and he went quick. Cancer is so much uglier.
Sure, I'd be happy to see anything you feel like passing on. Thanks.
Old 04-16-17   #28
feranaja

I remember when my Luke died suddenly, at just 8 years old, I was devastated (and the way it happened, though fast, traumatized me to the point of an emotional collapse for a time). I had fed this dog the best possible home made food, formulated by me of course, avoided as many toxins as possible, vaxxed only in puppyhood, and then...that night, the sudden passing out, the frenzy to move him(130 pounds) his death just 2 hours after playing outside with Lila. . I blamed myself over and over, after I found that arsenic in pressure treated wood is a risk factor for the type of cancer that killed him. And, during that time, I was being heavily cursed by a lunatic and several of her associates. I blamed myself on both those levels - not knowing about the wood, not being able to fend off an army all by myself, magically.

But the fact is, the cancer Luke had was genetic. I spoke with his breeder and there was lots of it in the line. I spoke with the leading veterinary oncologist researching HSA. All kinds of dogs get it. Dogs on crap kibble and dogs on the best of diets. Dogs lie on pressure treated wood decks for 15 years and don't get it. He assured me this was going to happen no matter what, if the gene was there. And he said one thing that stayed with me, as we had had a long drive in to the emergency clinic and Luke basically died in the parking lot. The vet said "If your emergency clinic was right next door, and they saved him that night, you were just bringing him home to die anyway", because that is the truth of HSA. Although the terror and shock of that night comes back to me quickly even 11 years later, I know that's the truth. And - here's the rub - because Luke died that night, and not 3 months later, I have Danny. Danny who is the love of my heart, the light of my days, the comfort of my soul. Who would likely not have done nearly as well as he has with a less informed human, if he'd been vaxxed yearly and fed IAMs. He is nervous, has had a MCT (mast cell tumour, very common in my breed) and has mild IBD, managed with diet. He is NOT a "big tough Ridgeback" at all, so he might well have been a disappointment to someone seeking that (as many do) . He's my heart, and if I had not lost Luke, just when I did - I would never have called the breeder, never have known about this litter...my whole life would have been different in ways I can't begin to describe in a short post like this.

I don't know if there's any such redemptive story for you, pomba gira. Maybe just learning about the power of nutrition, I don't know. I lost Lila to cancer 2 years later, she was almost 14, a good age for a lab mix and a VERY good age for a dog diagnosed with DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) at 5. She had cancer, another kind, and it was a harrowing final 3 weeks. Sometimes we can find these meanings in death and loss, and other times it's just pain. But I wanted to share that story about Luke, because I do feel I had "done everything right" and still, he was taken. On a scientific level, he had the gene, he was always going to die. On a magical level.... I was never able to defeat the vicious curses aimed at me, not entirely, it was one woman against so many. But I was able to transmute some into benefits. I don't know if they caused Luke to die as he did, but if they were part of it, I found Danny right afterwards. So there is power there, in neutralizing evil. Or so I believe.

And thought my heart aches for Luke, and always will. I shall not look upon his like again.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-18-17   #29
Ms.Welch

Guys, I need your help and recommendation. Our 2-year-old Labrador is causing chaos in our house. He would jump over the sofa and run around the house, breaking the furniture along the way. Recently, he chewed on the edge of our wooden dining table. My mom said that if I can't control him, then he needs to stay on our veranda. I definitely don't like that. I was looking at these dog crates as an option to help curb his behavior when he gets rowdy. Have any of you used a crate for this type of thing or did you choose a different method?
Ms.Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17   #30
pomba gira

What kind of exercise is he getting? A young Lab like that needs a lot.