Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft

Witchcraft Forum for discussion of all types of the Craft, Dianic to BTW, and everything in between

Old 06-16-10   #21
enchanted_one
Kemetic Wiccan

Default Re: Do you celebrate the sabbats?

I have not, as of yet. Now that I am home, I will do something to do so. Maybe a ritual, or maybe something else.

**Disclaimer**
I have been drinking most of this evening. My post may not make sense.

I found something beautiful on this site. I wonder how many others have seen it. I want to thank our webmaster for this blessing. It is with love that I share it with those clever enough to find it:
I ask of thee, o powers that be
That watcheth over the community, and over me
Guard this tranquil space
With your love and nurturing grace
See that no harm shall be done to we
Nor any attempt to do so be appeased
For this we thank you
For this we stand a pillar of strength
For all to see

Amen
My mod mode will be in this color so it is hard to read, since I am not really a mod.
enchanted_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #22
Kaye Sweetbriar
Rabid Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphyna View Post
The only one I ever really do anything for is Samhain. Gotta love Hallowe'en.

I loooooooooooooooove Samhain. It is easily my favourite holiday of anything and everything.
Kaye Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #23
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Sweetbriar View Post
I loooooooooooooooove Samhain. It is easily my favourite holiday of anything and everything.
I have a love/hate relationship with Samhain. It can be very bitter-sweet saying farewell to those we have both loved and those we have hated. Or like when my ex died, someone I loved and hated both.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #24
moonbride
I'm just me.

Mostly I acknowledge them and some of them I do a bit more than that with a little personal celebration and meditation.

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
made alive by the good brown earth and fresh with the breath of herb and tree;
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

moonbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #25
Lightdragon
pagan

I do a basic simple ritual for each of the eight ones. very rare will i do more.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #26
Tuathasidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
I'm well aware that "The Wheel of the Year" is a modern construct, and I've been more vociferous than many in arguments that 'Celtic' is a blanket term and the festivals weren't all celebrated in the same periods or by the same peoples.

Im confused, perhaps because I just woke up lol.

The Wheel of the Year from what I have gathered is mainly Wicca based not Celtic based. Wicca is not Celtic, while some may include that in Wicca, its not the same thing. I fail to see a connection you seem to be making?

I need a soda, its to early lol.
Tuathasidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #27
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuathasidhe View Post

The Wheel of the Year from what I have gathered is mainly Wicca based not Celtic based. Wicca is not Celtic, while some may include that in Wicca, its not the same thing. I fail to see a connection you seem to be making?

I need a soda, its to early lol.
Wicca's Wheel of the Year was put together by Gerald Gardner. He began with the four major Sabbats (the cross quarters) and his group enjoyed the rituals so much that they added the four minor Sabbats (solstices and equinoxes). He drew his inspiration for each of them from various cultures and various pagan holidays. So the major Sabbats seem to be more Celtic-based while the minor Sabbats are more Germanic-based.

Many cultures have celebrated the changing of the seasons, but the 8 Sabbats which comprise the Wheel of the Year was basically a Wiccan construct, I believe. (I may be wrong but please don't burn me at the stake or dunk me in the duck pond.)
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #28
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
I'm well aware that "The Wheel of the Year" is a modern construct, and I've been more vociferous than many in arguments that 'Celtic' is a blanket term and the festivals weren't all celebrated in the same periods or by the same peoples.
Where have you been all my life ffetcher! Jaze the battle scars Ive gotten from that arguement.

As a part of my path I'll do the 8 'cos its required but in my personal practices relating to Irelands indigenous belief I dont celebrate the 8 on the set dates and Id add a few other festivals. Oh and I dont mark the summer solstice at all accept by staying away from the sacred sites. Ive never seen anything that would convince me thats relevant to my culture.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #29
oonagh sidhe

i'm a pantheistic witch.
that being said, i celebrate the new and full moons as well as the changing of the seasons (equinoxes and solstices). but, i do so very modestly.
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10   #30
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuathasidhe View Post

I think ffetcher is being kind. They arent celtic at all and while its fine to say they arent celtic that people use Irish words for the festivals, make up stories about celtic covens and use Irish lit to 'prove' they are legitimate holy days its annoying. Wicca is English use english names and folklore to support them not 'celtic' culture.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote