Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > GLBTIQA

GLBTIQA Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender issues and discussions.

Old 10-28-15   #1
BigAl
Eclectic

Default Heresies in Gender Politics

The controversy in the UK regarding Germaine Greer's assertion that

... and the subsequent debate around the possible ban / not ban by feminist students, seems to verge on a hysteria of Political Correctness verging on the insane...

None of her comments appear to defy the scientific truth of the situation, yet, as commentators of every colour trip over themselves to portray (arguably) the world's best known feminist as the worst misogynist on the planet, I find myself, not for the first time, wondering what the point is that I've missed in all the furore.

Can a feminist really be a closet misogynist because she stands by a factual truth; or is it the case that simply denying the prevailing PC stance to which society is expected to subscribe is now a hanging offence?

I have to agree with Rebecca Reilly-Cooper:

Quote:
It supposes that I can legitimately demand that you believe the things I believe in order to validate my identity, that I can demand that you share my perception of myself because it would be injurious to that perception if you do not. And from there, it's a quick step to the belief that if you do not share my perception of myself, you are committing an act of psychic violence against me. That by refusing to accept the narrative I tell myself about who I am, you harm me just as much as if you really did incite physical violence against me. Thus I become justified in using any tactics at my disposal to ensure that you see me the way I see myself, in making use authoritarian methods of thought control and indoctrination. Acceptance of the doctrine is the only path to salvation and enlightenment, and dissenting views are not only mistaken, but threatening - both to my understanding of myself, and to the ideology itself.
Read her full commentary at: http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-an...ntity-politics

BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15   #2
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Default Re: Heresies in Gender Politics

I find it interesting that we have only just discovered (last decade)that the clitorus is huge. While the penis is obvious as it sticks out... The clitorus is internal and often as long as a penis if not longer but internal.

Given this simple biological fact.... And that we have only JUST "discovered" the internal part of the clit...Leads me to believe that surgery could indeed change things... At the very least it leads me to conclude Greer may be uninformed. It has been over 20 years since I read the female eunuch though

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15   #3
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Of course from a pagan perspective... Marriage is of 4 corners not two halves. The physical body is but one part of the story.... See Dion Fortunes book on love and marriage which although homophobic???!! (While since I read) gives a good basic understanding of gbltq and sacred sex....

In other words.... Greer's assertions are largely meaningless in the grand scheme.

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15   #4
ffetcher

Whilst being AFAK completel het, and in a loving marriage, I find Dion's book homophobic, anti-choice, and even to an extent discriminatory in terms of race. I like a lot of her writing and she was a gifted occultist, but 'Esoteric Philosphy...', to which I believe this refers, is... well you can ban me if you want, but I have to use the word 'poisonous'. 'nuff said.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15   #5
feranaja

ffetcher, I completely agree - and I don't ban people for opinions, lol!

On topic - Al I am almost scared to say anything at all that could remotely be interpreted as UN-PC. you may recall I lost one of my closest friends this year, not for even saying something un-PC but for defending another's right to do so (possibly). I just sat through a terrible conflict between herbalists, over cultural appropriation, it was awful (moreso because we don't usually have that kind of conflict in our circles). One Native woman was going on about how we bioregional herbalists (like me) are taking "her people's medicine". EXASPERATING.

I'll have to think about this, but even if I disagree with Greer, which really I do, I'd defend her right to express herself. That could lose me a few of the remaining friends that I have. I am seriously afraid to say anything these days.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15   #6
BigAl
Eclectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I am seriously afraid to say anything these days.
Aye.

It's a seriously strange world we have come to, where respect for "otherness", whether physical, mental or belief system, is completely lacking (unless of course it is OUR otherness which must be recognised). Can't be healthy. Debate is stifled, and refusal to conform to the current societal mores risks ostracisation...

Where's Orwell when you need him to remind us where this goes... ?!?
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15   #7
feranaja

I wish you could have sat in on the cultural appropriation thing. Some of the most level headed herbalists I know were so upset - one guy, whose work with indigenous people all over Central and South America is well documented, was lambasted because he dared to disagree with the prevailing idea that Native Americans must be given some kind of seniority, over Western herbalists of European extraction - EVEN IF the Native AMericans are not herbalists and don't do anything to help their community, while the (evil) European is holding free clinics and sharing knowledge and giving herbs to people in need.

I have always supported difference, gay rights, and been respectful of Native Americans but I see this ferocious attitude everywhere - as if to say DO NOT DARE to hold another opinion or we will reveal you for the scum you are(or worse).
I agree that it's very puerile and narcissistic and yep, even dangerous.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-29-15   #8
petrus4
Leaper

Deleted.

Last edited by petrus4; 10-29-15 at 11:13 PM.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15   #9
feranaja

I'm going to make this a cause for formal warning from here on in. It is totally unfair to post a reply, and then just delete it. If people do this repeatedly, they'll be removed.

Shane Parrish