Go Back   EarthSong Forums > The Arts > Creative Writing

Creative Writing For the wordsmiths on here - critique members' work, discuss publishing and authors, share writing tips and more...

Old 05-27-18   #1
feranaja

Default Teaching novel...yay or nay?

I'm trying my hand at a novel - fairly autobiographical but you wouldn't know it if you didn' know me. It just decided to come out, last year, of its own accord. The story centers on a woman who has lived a long time in an enchanted forest, but is forced to leave by a series of evil spells put on her, which were carried by the spirits of her home, and develop into a crazed powerful force of destruction. When the protagonist finds herself in a new forest, exhausted and grieving, she develops new allies and begins to bring that forest to an awakened magical relationship with humans. But as things begind to heal and she finds her strength again, the old spirits who were once her allies, find her and seek to steal her back and destroy the newforest. IT falls on Trevinia (that's the heroine) to find a way to reconcile the two - to heal the spirits who have gone mad in protecting her, and bring peace and harmony to all the forests.Obviously allegorical and a "teaching" novel, and there are sideplots and twists along the way.... any input is welcome, but be kind: I'm an herbalist, not a writer, Jim.

"Trevinia stepped with care down the side of the leaf-littered hill, moving with caution, watching for stray branches that could whip into her eyes, and alternately minding the forest floor ahead… soft in places, but deceptive in others, where stern outcrops of rock lay concealed beneath the hemlock needles. Q’veris trotted well ahead, calmer than in days gone by, but still sufficiently excited by the new scents and sounds to be covering much more ground than his human dared try. They had wandered beyond the great red oaks whose sacred fruits literally showered them as they passed; here in the hemlocks and maples, the rustle of wind high above, occasional squeaking of a chipmunk or squirrel, and the distant croaking of ravens comprised the background sounds, for Trevinia, at any rate. Despite his age, Q’veris could still hear well beyond the range of the human ear, and would stop from time to time, tilt his head just a little, and glance quickly back to make sure his beloved person was ok. As if he could hear, in her breathing and footsteps, the rhythm of her heart...the pulse of their deep and sacred connection.

But, of course Trevinia was not ok..try though she did to find that place of happiness and peace in her heart, the ache, the loss, was omnipresent. “Could I not have one moment of joy” she asked aloud of no one in particular, recognizing how absurd that was, recognizing too that in times of heartbreak one has to allow for such irrationalities. Stepping sideways down the steep curve of the forested cliff she steadied herself against giant maple, venerable hemlock, the occasional graceful and elegant beech. The deeper they descended, the greater the stillness that enfolded woman and dog. Eventually, Trevinia stopped her descent, leaning against an enormous hemlock, letting all her weariness run downwards into the trees great roots.

“I am tired” she breathed softly into the stillness.

Softly into the great furrowed trunk of the largest hemlock in the area, she breathed her fatigue, and then her sorrow, and lastly, her desperate loneliness and longing for her home. And the great tree, who had never in his many hundred years been spoken to by a human, felt his heart open with sadness and delight.
In that way that is voice and not voice, song and not song, thunderingly loud and barely audible all at once, the hemlock spoke. A thousand years of alienation between species seemed to melt away as if it had never happened at all.
“Lean deeper, child” he said.

And Trevinia collapsed into the ancient silence of the great tree’s presence, Q’veris so quickly beside her it was as if he’d never been off rooting through leaf litter and claiming the forest as his own. Woman and dog fell into a trance in the softness of the embrace, and for the first time in as long as she could recall, they both rested."

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18   #2
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: Teaching novel...yay or nay?

That sounds wonderful...I think with your knowledge and training it would be a huge success. What better way to write something when it is really close to your heart and life experience.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18   #3
feranaja

Thank you - I just took an excerpt to share here, where Trevinia first contacts the ancient hemlock forest and lets herself collapse - a part I really like. The overall message is that magic is not something to be trifled with, good efforts can turn bad, but if approached correctly it is a beautiful way of life. And trees are our friends. <3

Thanks for reading and the comment...I struggle with the creative/imaginative stuff (unless it's music or decorating) and this is my Bardic year in OBOD, so I need to overcome that.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-28-18   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

So far sounds interesting. Curious to see where you take it and it takes you.
Old 05-28-18   #5
Bartmanhomer

That story is awesome. Is it an original story?
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18   #6
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
That story is awesome. Is it an original story?

Yes it sure is.
On the surface, a story about a naive but good hearted Witch who falls prey to evil, loses her home but recovers, and then finds she has to return to her lost forest to heal those who healed her.

Themes are lost innocence, trust in nature, loyalty, human's responsibility to nature, learning through hardship, the nature of sacrifice in magic, and the deep Mystery of the natural world.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-28-18   #7
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
So far sounds interesting. Curious to see where you take it and it takes you.

Indeed...exactly how it has played out so far...

Shane Parrish
Old 05-28-18   #8
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

How utterly lovely, fera! I'm amazed that you're doing this on top of everything else you've got going for you -- it looks like a good thing so far. If you want more beta/edit-y nitpicks sometime, I'd be happy to once-over some stuff, but for now I think you should just write it all out. The tweaking comes once the story's told/written, not during.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18   #9
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSister View Post
How utterly lovely, fera! I'm amazed that you're doing this on top of everything else you've got going for you -- it looks like a good thing so far. If you want more beta/edit-y nitpicks sometime, I'd be happy to once-over some stuff, but for now I think you should just write it all out. The tweaking comes once the story's told/written, not during.

Oh I'm so glad you liked it - its really a bit of a taste, how I write and the feel I want for this book. I have thought and thought about how best to convey some magical ideas, and since so many books out there already, when this one started exploding out of me, I mean I carry pen and paper on the walks now - I began to understand that telling my magical story in novel form might be something that worked.

Eva - have you read Ellen Evert Hopman's trilogy - teaching novels all? https://www.amazon.com/Priestess-For...7557709&sr=1-5

Shane Parrish
Old 05-28-18   #10
Bartmanhomer

Feranaja. I happen to be a writer myself but I only writes stories for fun.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote