Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Tarot

Tarot For all aspects of Tarot study and practise, including, but not limited to divination

Old 05-08-15   #1
feranaja

Default The Fool

In keeping with picking up my Avalonian studies, I'm doing a weekly meditation with each of the Major Arcana. I thought we could do a bit together - I'll post some images and thoughts and would love to have you all join in.

To start: the familiar Waite/Smith image.

While I admit, this isn't my favorite depiction, the card is deeply magical with so many layers of meaning woven into it. My own understanding is deeply influenced by BOTA, worth quoting in detail here:

"The symbolism of the Fool is best explained by first considering the meaning of the Hebrew letter Aleph attributed this Key. Aleph means Ox. Oxen symbolize the motive power in agriculture, because they were used to pull plows, etc. Agriculture is the basic form of civilization. Thus the letter Aleph symbolizes Cultural Power, Creative Energy, Life-Power, the vital principle of plants, animals, and Men which comes to us in physical form as the energy of the Sun. This principle is also called Life-Breath. It is the Greek Pneuma, the Sanskrit Prana, the Hebrew Ruach, the Latin Spiritus. Literally these words mean "breath." Secondarily, they refer to the Spirit, or allpervading Life-energy.
This meaning is substantiated by the title, for Fool is derived from the Latin follis meaning a "bag of wind." Thus the Fool symbolizes that which contains air, or Breath. The number 0 carries this idea a step farther. It is a symbol of the limitless, unconditioned Life-Power. The 0 is shaped like an egg, hence it symbolizes that which contains all of the potencies of growth and development. Occultists will understand that we refer to the Cosmic Egg, and to the Ring-Pass-Not.
In the picture the Sun refers to the ONE FORCE. It is white to indicate that it is the Universal Radiant Energy which is concentrated by and radiated from all of the suns in the universe.
The mountains represent the abstract mathematical conceptions which are behind all knowledge of Nature. As such, they are cold and uninteresting to many. But the melting of the snow upon the peaks feeds the streams that make fertile the valleys below. So will the principles of Ageless Wisdom feed your consciousness and make fertile your mental imagery, thus transforming your life.

The Fool is Eternal Youth. He shows that the ONE FORCE never ages, is always at the height of its power. His attitude expresses confidence and joyful aspiration.

The wreath around the Fool's head symbolizes the vegetable kingdom; also Victory. The wand is Will, the wallet Memory. The white rose represents purified desire. The Fool's garments consist of a white undergarment and a black outer one which is lined with red. White is purity, truth and wisdom. It is covered with the black of ignorance and delusion, which is lined with passion, action and desire. It is held with a girdle having twelve ornaments, seven of which are showing. This girdle represents time, and astrologers will find the contemplation of this symbology of much interest. The wheels which ornament the outer garment are eight-spoked. They symbolize the whirling motion by which the ONE FORCE manifests itself. The little dog symbolizes the intellect, the merely reasoning mind. He is a faithful companion, but must have a master."

In starting the meditations this week I admit, I find it hard to "enter into" the Fool card, as the imagery for me is not the most appealling. In yesterday's meditation however I found myself "stepping into" the ard and finding myself, with Daniel, standing on the edge of a local cligg, staff in hand, looking out at one of the many small lakes that cicle around my home. I can;t say what else, but it was a good start to feeling more intimately connected with the Fool.I re-read some Rachel Pollack - it's been years and still so resonant for me - it feels like a "Fool moment" in my life right now, in many ways, time to find that intimate connection here.

Some Fool cards I really DO like:

a happy depiction from the Morgan-Greer deck.

from the Wildwood deck

The happy fairy of the Hidden Realm

I've never really cared for the cartoon-y appearance of the Thoth Fool, but it is, as are all Crowley's cards, incredibly rich in symbolism that some modern decks really miss.
And, I love the cat biting his leg, echoing the old Marseilles Fool.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts on The Fool, favorite images etc.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15   #2
Bartmanhomer

Default Re: The Fool

I love that card. The Fool means a journey and new beginnings.
Bartmanhomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15   #3
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

The epitome of The Fool, to me, will always be this one from the Osho Zen deck:

Though, well, I've also become fond of the Shadowscapes version:

A fool is one who goes on trusting; a fool is one who goes on trusting against all his experience. You deceive him, and he trusts you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts you. Then you will say that he is a fool, he does not learn. His trust is tremendous; his trust is so pure that nobody can corrupt it.
Be a fool in the Taoist sense, in the Zen sense. Don't try to create a wall of knowledge around you. Whatsoever experience comes to you, let it happen, and then go on dropping it. Go on cleaning your mind continuously; go on dying to the past so you remain in the present, here-now, as if just born, just a babe.
In the beginning it is going to be very difficult. The world will start taking advantage of you...let them. They are poor fellows. Even if you are cheated and deceived and robbed, let it happen, because that which is really yours cannot be robbed from you, that which is really yours nobody can steal from you.
And each time you don't allow situations to corrupt you, that opportunity will become an integration inside. Your soul will become more crystallized.

- Osho Dang Dang Doko Dang Chapter 2
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15   #4
feranaja

Oh my yes, the Shadowscapes...how utterly gorgeous!

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15   #5
Bartmanhomer

I have face the fool many times in my tarot readings. In fact I'm facing the fool right now, the beginning of my 30s.
Bartmanhomer is online now   Reply With Quote