Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Wicca 101

Wicca 101 A 6 to 8 week course covering basic topics about what the religion of Wicca is and how you can explore it further.

Old 11-10-11   #21
Ben Gruagach

Default Re: 1C. What Do You Like or Dislike About the Intro Material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
I read the post, "What is Wicca", a couple of times then watched the video...which I found contradictory and confusing in my ignorance compared to your definition. So I decided to get a better grasp on your post first, then tackle the video again once I am sure I have this part down. One baby step at a time!

So, here is what I got from your post - PLEASE correct, redirect if needed!

*Wicca is a religion of witchcraft based on the system designed by Gerald Gardner - the age of this religion is irrelevant.

*All Wiccans are witches or Witches but not all witches/Witches are Wiccan.

*All Wiccans are Pagan; not all Pagans are Wiccan.

*Wiccans may or may not invoke/ ?worship? deity/deities in their practice tho most do.

*Wiccans are not monotheistic tho they may be atheist/agnostic.
You're doing well. Wicca is a bit more complicated to learn about than some other religions because we don't have a central authority structure like a Pope or Council of Elder Wiccans, or even a single uniform "holy text" which everything is based on. You'll find that as you learn more that there are always ways that one Wiccan will differ from another. Sometimes the disagreements get a bit heated (complete with one side claiming the other side is not "really" Wiccan) but when it comes down to making a decision one way or the other there isn't someone else to decide for us. We each have to make our own decisions.

Just a couple of clarifications about the excellent summary you posted just now:

- Believe it or not, there are some Wiccans who say they are not witches/Witches. Personally, I think they're missing a large chunk of the point of Wicca since it was first promoted by Gardner as a religion of Witchcraft. Wicca without witchcraft is sort of like Christianity without Jesus.

- Wicca is a religion, which witchcraft isn't necessarily. So I think you'll find that all Wiccans do honour the Divine in some form in their practice. (And yes, there are atheist witches out there. I'm not sure how well atheists would last as Wiccans since so much of what we do has work with the Divine at its core.)

- The majority of Wiccans are polytheists but there isn't really any rule against monotheism for Wiccans. I suspect that at least some hard polytheists (people who believe the gods and goddesses are distinct individual beings, and are definitely not interchangeable) consider soft polytheists (who believe that "all goddesses are really One Goddess, and all gods are One God" and the God and Goddess are two halves of a single ultimate Divine) to be really just monotheists.

We'll discuss the topics of autonomy (which accounts for the diversity) and Wiccan views of the Divine next week and after in more detail.

Good work!
Ben Gruagach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11   #22
The Black Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
Thanks for sharing that information, Black Elf. I suspect that the ideas were drawn from Theosophy as it sounds a lot like Blavatsky's work. I'd like to point out that while some Wiccans do incorporate teachings like these into their practice it's not universal among Wiccans.
Your nice labels do me great honour Ben. Blavatsky models appeal to the genetic coniseur within me.

I am assuming that the triple godess (maiden.mother & hugely underated old crown/crone) will be looked into further at a later stage?

Intro seems to concentrate on mother aspect,which is nice!

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11   #23
Ben Gruagach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Elf View Post
Your nice labels do me great honour Ben. Blavatsky models appeal to the genetic coniseur within me.

I am assuming that the triple godess (maiden.mother & hugely underated old crown/crone) will be looked into further at a later stage?

Intro seems to concentrate on mother aspect,which is nice!
Hi Black Elf.

We'll definitely be covering aspects of the Divine (particularly the triple Goddess) next week.
Old 11-11-11   #24
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
I think they are very bold in addressing the upturned pentacle given all the misconceived contrite & narrow views concerning the forces of nature alligned with the BAPHOMET/PAN/SATAN aspect.

You don't get christians discussing the power of the upturned crucifix/cross,for instance?or nun sex involving such upturned crucifix/crosses.

Indeed I have never met a christian who know's the proper name for the type of traditional wooden construction that is used as a religious cross,nor even be aware of it's proper dimensions. (yes,that type of cross has a name & apparently it's name & dimensions are not important lol)

Or the negative aspects of a uniting in unification Yung Drung being the reverse polarity swastika?

I could compare the video to a masterpiece speech I have heard,it is that good.
Well from almost at the begining the exact time i don't know. but among the Wiccan communities there is a general fear of being put in a bad name.also out of fear of damaged property,loss of jobs ,jail time ,injured ,killed or something similar to their loyal friends and family members . Christians or per say Catholics didn't do it until quite recently as they had to rectify that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles.And in the States a lot of Christians now are crying perscution(from which group i don't know.)
As a lot of Wiccans who do press conferences with talk shows,radio shows,etc. To get people to understand Wicca better.this is a general thing someone does . sorta like a PR reps.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11   #25
ffetcher

Quote:
I think they are very bold in addressing the upturned pentacle given all the misconceived contrite & narrow views concerning the forces of nature alligned with the BAPHOMET/PAN/SATAN aspect.
Okay, since we've got this far, I think the video does a very good job of explaining what Wicca is not. Arguably, Ben's intro does a rather better job of explaining what it is.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11   #26
DonelleBeira

Thanks for the input on my previous post! Now, if you will bear with me, I will regurgitate again - this time from the video. Hopefully, this regurgitative approach won't continue the entire course!

First, I love the opening pic!

*Wicca is a peaceful, empowering, liberating neo-pagan religion focused on spiritual growth and personal happiness based on Gerald Gardner’s teachings

*Deities are worshiped to bring about good changes in the world and ourselves – openness, love, harmony, peace are the touchstones of Wiccan belief; it is about spiritual progression and growth

*Wicca is an earth-based religion focused on caring for and maintaining the planet, ourselves and each other through the Mother Goddess - a spiritual commitment to Nature and all her children; it strives to bring creativity, empowerment, and a strong personal relationship with the Devine through its practices, the Rede, and Three-fold Law

*the Mother Goddess is the spiritual aspect of Nature

*Spells are used to bring about positive changes in Earth and ourselves, to bring us closer to the Mother Goddess

*Wicca is based on the symbols, traditions and deities of the ancient Celtic religions using many of the same holidays and rituals (many Western religions are based on these ancient religions as well); many gods and goddesses from around the world are worshipped by Wiccans but most are Celtic or Greek

*Wicca is an “equal opportunity religion”, to quote

*Even tho many of the beliefs and practices of Wicca are based on ancient religions, it is considered to be a New Age VS ancient religion; however, that depends on the definition and time frame one chooses to accept as there is no concrete evidence to support either

*Wicca is an open religion and as long as one abides by the Rede and Three-fold Law, anything is acceptable

* The most common forms of Wicca are the Gardernian traditional (BTW) and the Eclectic; BTW usually operate within a coven while Eclectics operate alone
***Other forms include Fairy, Reclamation, Christian, Satanic and Atheist

*Since Wicca has few guidelines beyond the Rede and Three-fold Law there are many avenues through which to worship – Wiccans can be mono-, duo-, poly-, or pantheistic as well as atheistic

*There are two rules all Wiccans must follow – the Rede and the Three-fold Law

*The Rede states that we are to treat others respectfully while doing as we please (be nice to others if you want)

*The Three-fold Law is in place for those who do not follow the Rede – it tells of the consequences of failing to follow the Rede, which are 1) what we give will be returned to us 10-fold, 2) punishment of sins will be carried forward for 7 lives/generations for those who believe in reincarnation and 3) how we treat others is how we will be treated

*The use of the “k” at the end of the word magic for Wiccans is used to distinguish this part of worship from the usual known usage of the word typically applied to illusionist, magicians on stage, etc.

*Magick is not mystical or miraculous but seen as part of the laws of nature which are an important part of worship/practice for Wiccans

*Not all Wiccans practice magick but rather see their religion as purely spiritual

*Wiccan rituals revolve around holidays like the Sabbats, Solstices, Equinoxes, etc. usually in a coven setting but eclectics celebrate in their own ways as well

*Some of the core aspects of these rituals are the use of a sacred place (circle) used with or without a pentacle and an alter in the middle of the circle on which are placed tools and objects of your craft such as chalice, small statues, ceremonial knife

*The Book of Shadows is the Wiccan equivalent of the Bible and contains spells that can be cast which others have found useful but we are encouraged to add our own spells to our personal books; we should use only the spells in the Book of Shadows that work for us

*Spells are not evil but are used to bring about positive changes in the world around us and compare to prayer; negative spells are not part of Wicca

*There are many misconceptions about Wicca one of the biggest that it is a form of satanic worship. Satan is a Christian concept while Wicca is not so there is no Satan for Wiccans to worship

*Both Wiccans and Satanists use the pentacle but in different ways – Satanists always place the pentacle with two points up while Wiccans use it with one point up (Wiccans do perform certain rituals in which the pentacle is 2-points up but used as such for those rituals only)

*Wiccans NEVER use their craft for evil or harm; to do so would violate the Rede and invoke the Three-fold Law

*Modern ideas on Paganism are a big, perhaps the biggest, part of the misconceptions about Wicca; ancient Pagans did perform evil spells, even human sacrifice in their practices

*Wicca is the fastest growing religion today with Eclectics showing more growth than covens

*This growth is probably due to the fact that people no longer want a religion full of rules and restrictions but are looking for a system of belief that will allow personal happiness and satisfaction in their lives

*Wicca offers spiritual enrichment in an open, accepting, non-discriminating form. It is a religion of love, happiness and harmony with all; there is no room for evil or Satan

*Anyone who follows the Rede and Three-fold Law can call themselves Wiccan

*Because of this open acceptance, Wicca could become a universal religion

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11   #27
DonelleBeira

As time goes by and my understanding grows, I think the video will have more meaning for me; I will be able to discern some of the finer points being discussed that are over my head at the moment.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11   #28
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
Arguably, Ben's intro does a rather better job of explaining what it is.

blessings
ffetcher
agreed. he should or instruct someone to do a video.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11   #29
Ben Gruagach

Here's another interesting video that covers Wicca as well as other occult paths. It was filmed in 1984-85 and features quite a number of influential figures in Wicca including Alex Sanders, Margot Adler, Selena Fox (of Circle Sanctuary in the USA), along with many others.

http://vimeo.com/21956578

The film was released under the title "The Occult Experience" and can sometimes be found on DVD. Nevill Drury, a Pagan insider who was one of the key people researching and producing the video, has made it available to view for free on the web through the link I just gave.

The Wiccan community has grown a lot since when this video was filmed but it does provide some interesting information and historical context.

The film is 95 minutes long so give yourself some time if you plan to watch the whole thing.

Edited to add: and please be aware the video covers occult groups that are not Wiccan as well, such as Anton LaVey's Satanists.
Old 11-12-11   #30
The Black Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
Well from almost at the begining the exact time i don't know. but among the Wiccan communities there is a general fear of being put in a bad name.also out of fear of damaged property,loss of jobs ,jail time ,injured ,killed or something similar to their loyal friends and family members . Christians or per say Catholics didn't do it until quite recently as they had to rectify that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles.And in the States a lot of Christians now are crying perscution(from which group i don't know.)
As a lot of Wiccans who do press conferences with talk shows,radio shows,etc. To get people to understand Wicca better.this is a general thing someone does . sorta like a PR reps.
Technically the Civic State requires a perfect freedom of *worship* for all of it's citizens,a discerning neither between jew nor greek or discrimination by nationality either.

It being cool to disagree or debate points.

Usually folk have more in common than not,including a fear of the unknown vs those who want to keep you ignorant.

The 3 mentioned in the opening vid as not being wiccan(although have the pentacle in common) solves kicking over a few cans of worms.

The energy of the star of david/merkabah relies upon a yung drung at it's centre or a swastika,depending upon which way the energy is flowing(unification or disentigration)

At best anyone completely ignorant or with limited self knowledge would view the whole thing,at best,with suspicion or fear which can be sorted as knowledge dispels fear/ignorance.

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote