Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 10-25-10   #1
Lilith
Of The Void

Default So, what have YOU done lately?

I go around the net quite a bit and lately I am becoming seriously tired of the armchair magicians and their claims for grandeur. So here I am offering an opportunity to all of you, members of Earthsong, to write about what is it that you have done lately, regarding practical application of your knowledge, who have you healed, who have you helped, what have you bestowed upon yourself and others. What have you done for the benefit of the Humanity as a whole and for an individual? What have you done for you own SELF and the path of your awakening?

Please keep in mind, this is not a competition and not an ego exercise, it is more to do with self-evaluation, as Carl Jung and many others have noticed that most of the time humans are not aware of why they are doing things, but when asked, will come up with numerous answers.

With metta,
Kat
Old 10-25-10   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: So, what have YOU done lately?

I've been reading this over and over and keep asking myself what have I done? Yet for all of my self questioning I have no answer for nothing stands out beyond what I do each and every day of my life.

In the last 24 hours my son, my self and some friends have been gathering wood and cutting for the upcoming winter. Yet each footfall is but an echo upon it as I check each tree to be taken to ensure it is dead and no life remains within. To touch, feel, see and smell to ensure I miss no little indicator. To go from place to place as I teach son and his friends how to read the landscape. How to identify what type of tree it is and the clues and tricks there are.

Sort of showing the difference between various evergreens. Showing how pines and cedars have square needles that can be rolled in the fingers while hemlocks, firs have flat needles and can not be rolled. How Virginia pines have needle groups of three while White Pines have needle groups of 5 or more. Even how to shift the eyes to see the single leaf that hangs in the tree to mark the life within that otherwise is hidden in the canapoy of the forest.

But even that fails in comparrison to the telling of the spirit animals that walk the land, the great creature's that stand in plain site but are missed by the wandering eye that doesn't know how to look. Not just the deer that stands deathly still but also the landwright that flutters in the shifting leaves, the man beast that walks the high ridge lines whose cry echoes down the valley at times.

But none of these are great feats or things of great inspiration or magnitude. No feat that could even remotley be claimed to be impressive or above and beyond the normal. Yes some tell me at times that I inspire them greatly or change their perspective of things but it is not greatness that I have done for all I have did is walk the path of my life and speak to those that will listen or answer those that question.

Perhaps not what you were asking for but it is the best I can give to your question.
Old 10-25-10   #3
oonagh sidhe

well, i'm a pantheist.
what have i done?
i've existed
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10   #4
Lilith
Of The Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
I've been reading this over and over and keep asking myself what have I done? Yet for all of my self questioning I have no answer for nothing stands out beyond what I do each and every day of my life.

In the last 24 hours my son, my self and some friends have been gathering wood and cutting for the upcoming winter. Yet each footfall is but an echo upon it as I check each tree to be taken to ensure it is dead and no life remains within. To touch, feel, see and smell to ensure I miss no little indicator. To go from place to place as I teach son and his friends how to read the landscape. How to identify what type of tree it is and the clues and tricks there are.

Sort of showing the difference between various evergreens. Showing how pines and cedars have square needles that can be rolled in the fingers while hemlocks, firs have flat needles and can not be rolled. How Virginia pines have needle groups of three while White Pines have needle groups of 5 or more. Even how to shift the eyes to see the single leaf that hangs in the tree to mark the life within that otherwise is hidden in the canapoy of the forest.

But even that fails in comparrison to the telling of the spirit animals that walk the land, the great creature's that stand in plain site but are missed by the wandering eye that doesn't know how to look. Not just the deer that stands deathly still but also the landwright that flutters in the shifting leaves, the man beast that walks the high ridge lines whose cry echoes down the valley at times.

But none of these are great feats or things of great inspiration or magnitude. No feat that could even remotley be claimed to be impressive or above and beyond the normal. Yes some tell me at times that I inspire them greatly or change their perspective of things but it is not greatness that I have done for all I have did is walk the path of my life and speak to those that will listen or answer those that question.

Perhaps not what you were asking for but it is the best I can give to your question.
I think this is a very good answer. You have been Aware of yourself and the world around you, and the interweaving of the energies that, in vast multitude, represent the Whole.. Perhaps it has not been done for the benefit of other being, but definitely for the Self, and that is already an achievement that so many choose to ignore.. Thank you MonSno.
Old 10-25-10   #5
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberskys View Post
well, i'm a pantheist.
what have i done?
i've existed
I have to admit I am always intrigued by those type answers. To say one has simply existed seems to leave so much out of life. A person who lies comatose upon the bed is also existing but has no life to speak of, so has done nothing with that life. I suppose that is one reason I find a pantheist so hard to understand at times for life is more than just existence it is living which to me is what the secret of life is through out the universe.
Old 10-25-10   #6
WanderingSheep

I've tried not to enter into politics.
So far, i've succeeded in this.

"My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs)—or to 'unconstitutional' Monarchy"
~ J.R.R.Tolkien.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii51/sheep_023/070-2.gif

WanderingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10   #7
Lilith
Of The Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberskys View Post
well, i'm a pantheist.
what have i done?
i've existed
I am always very cautious around people who define themselves by the system of their beliefs.. IMO there is a vast difference between existence merely because you are incarnate, and existing because you have an intent and a purpose. I fail to recognize the intense experience of the world around, the beauty and the divercity of it, as mere existence..
Old 10-25-10   #8
Lilith
Of The Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSheep View Post
I've tried not to enter into politics.
So far, i've succeeded in this.
Well done! Probably did yourself and your nerve cells a lot of good
Old 10-25-10   #9
Cassie
Lady of the Left

I am a witch that very rarely does spells or any other obvious magical workings. I do however practice and study so that I feel confident to do what needs to be done at appropriate times.

I don't think I can answer any of the specific questions you asked, partly because it's my personal belief that to talk about a specific spell or working may reduce it's power.

Most of my magical energies recently have been generally employed in self improvement and improving the health and lifestyle of somebody close to me.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10   #10
Lilith
Of The Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I am a witch that very rarely does spells or any other obvious magical workings. I do however practice and study so that I feel confident to do what needs to be done at appropriate times.

I don't think I can answer any of the specific questions you asked, partly because it's my personal belief that to talk about a specific spell or working may reduce it's power.

Most of my magical energies recently have been generally employed in self improvement and improving the health and lifestyle of somebody close to me.
As I said in the OP, the question is not from me to you, but from you to you. Answer as you can see fit, noone will know how genuine, true and relevant those answers are, but yourself.