III. THE FIRST THREE GATES

THE FIRST GATE
Aleph (Ox) = 1st Hebrew letter * Roman Numeral I * Alpha = 1st Greek letter
In the book version of the engraving, the caption is:
NEM. PERV.T QUI N.N LEG. CERT.RIT
NEMO PERVENIT QUI NON LEGITIME CERTAVERIT
Literal Translation: "No one attains who unlawfully contends"
Book Translation: "Only he who has fought according to the rules will succeed"
The engraving shows a mounted knight with his right index finger to his lips making the sign for "Silence". He is riding towards a castle which has three towers.
This is the LCF Version [In the two AT engravings, the castle has 4 towers]
In the movie version, the caption is:
SI.VM E.T AV.VM
SILENTIUM EST AUREUM
Silence is Golden
Beginning with the symbols which remain the same between the two versions, we have a knight, which suggests the idea that he is on a quest and perhaps also suggests all of the high moral qualities and determination to prevail which we associate with ideal knighthood. He is riding a horse which brings in the symbol of the helpful animal or being in touch with one's instinctive, intuitive sense which, in case you get lost, 'knows the way home'. The knight is approaching a castle, which is often a symbol of the location of a treasure which the castle walls protect.
He has large feather plumes on his helmet, apparently ostrich plumes, which in the symbolism of heraldry represent obedience and serenity. A similar feather appears in the headgear of The Fool in some versions of the Tarot. The ostrich plume was also the feather of the Egyptian goddess Ma'at, associated with justice and truth. In the underworld, Ma'at would weigh the deceased's heart in her scales against this feather, and only the heart which was unburdened by the weight of worldly sin would escape being devoured by the crocodile-headed Ammit.
The variation in the engraving in terms of the number of the castle's towers directs our attention to the difference in symbolic meaning between the numbers three and four. The classical distinction is between the transcendent or spiritual level of reality and the material or mundane level. Divinity is often expressed as a trinity, the Holy Trinity, the Triple Goddess, and in the Tree of Life symbol, the first three sephiroth or centers of energy at the top of the tree (the Supernal Triad). The latter represents the Transcendent Source from which all of Creation is born, and the fourth sephira/center, just below it, is the first manifest, incarnate, human-level expression of that Source energy.
The number four reflects the qualities of the created world: the four directions, the four seasons, and the four classical 'elements': fire, air, water, earth. There are also four dimensions to everything that we are capable of experiencing in the material world: the three spatial directions (length, width and height) plus time. In the LCF version of the First Gate, the knight rides towards a castle with three towers which is a symbolic indication that the treasure which he seeks is not a mundane, material treasure, but a transcendent, spiritual one.
The 'Silence' gesture is a reminder to students of spiritual wisdom traditions that not everyone in the general public is prepared to properly understand the teachings. [This is particularly true of movie critics!] In the context of the journey up the Tree portrayed in the engravings, those whose consciousness are still dominated by the perspective of the ego, represented by the lowest levels of the Tree, will interpret everything as the ego sees it. They will then assume that the goal of the quest involves personal profit and power over others -- unless the student is lucky enough to have a qualified teacher to help him or her avoid this kind of distorted viewpoint.
Wisdom traditions are traditionally meant for those who have already become disillusioned with the material world-view of the ego, and who are ready to pursue the spiritual treasure which is found on the 'upward' path on the Tree. The best translation of the 'Silence' gesture that I know is 'Don't talk about it, just do it.' In the film, practically all of the characters except Corso have something to say about their own deluded ideas of what the engravings mean, but it is only Corso, with the help of the girl, who keeps his own counsel, quietly pursues the true journey, and ultimately succeeds.
So why am I apparently breaking this rule of silence now? First, because I have made, and continue to make, my own journey on the Tree and my intuition, which I have come to trust absolutely, tells me that sharing what I have learned so far is the correct thing to do. [Editor's note: One might argue that "the girl" in the movie is doing the same.]Secondly, everything which Balkan's path of destruction illustrates is already happening in the world around us every day and there is nothing in this article that could make this situation any worse. The only antidote that I know of for the apparently precarious state of the world today is for as many people as possible to start making their own 'Journey Beyond Evil'. The film "The Ninth Gate" seems to me to be an interesting way to introduce people to the idea of the journey and to provide a general description of the experiences which may be encountered. (Also, the truths of the Tree which I present here were discovered through long-term study and practice, a method which any sincere seeker can also follow. I am not a member of any arcane organization, don't advocate any potentially risky "short-cuts" on the spiritual path, and have taken no blood-curdling vows of secrecy.)
So back to the First Gate. As for the idea that it's necessary to fight 'according to the rules', not all knights were virtuous, and for one who is on a quest for material treasure and earthly power (Torchia's version of the engraving showing a castle with four towers), and who is perhaps a member of some secret organization whose goals are equally materialistic, it's possible that according to 'the rules' which such a person would live by, leaving a trail of dead bodies behind him might be considered to be perfectly acceptable. In terms of the symbolism of the First Gate, Balkan is obviously on the path which Torchia's version of the engraving describes and, based on the decisions which he makes over the course of the movie, he is clearly convinced that following his own personal rule book is the way to 'win'. But as the motto of The First Gate warns, if he contends unlawfully, he will not attain the true high goal of the Quest.
The First Gate can be associated with the lowest sephira on the Tree, Malkuth, also known as The Kingdom, the material realm. Those who follow the path symbolized by the AT version of the engraving will seek their material treasure here. Those who follow the LCF version will look to the very top of the Tree as the goal of their Quest which brings us to the next engraving, a kind of 'flash-forward' from the lowest sephira of the *human* realm of the Tree to the highest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.halexandria.org/dward903.htm
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: SILENTIUM EST AUREUM ~Silence is Golden

Aahh, yes, the Halexandria source... Love to read their Annals of Earth section most of the time, but didn't get the chance to read through the section you mention now yet.

I think one part of the "silence is golden" idea comes from the idea that all words hold a certain type of energy and power. To speak them wrongly at the incorrect time will cause discord, whereas speaking them correctly at the right time will cause harmony. One has to measure the words very carefully and then decide when one can take the course towards creating harmony. Silence, in that case, is pure gold.. the alchemy of knowing when to speak and when to be silent is valuable beyond anything else..
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10   #3
The Black Elf

Perfect SS,Intent being everything.

takes a wee while to perfect this understanding so as you don't rip to many feathers out of parrot's who tend to squak when their feather's are simply ruffled.

As you wipe your glasses with what you know,in love.
Old 09-11-10   #4
sweet_valerie

??????????????? I'm so lost.
Old 09-12-10   #5
The Black Elf

lovely to see you Sweet Valerie

what makes you think you are lost cyberbabe?
Old 09-13-10   #6
Lilith
Of The Void

(1) Only he who has fought according to the rules will succeed. (Nemo pervenit qui non legitime certaverit.) "..he [the horseman] is turned to any follower, with a finger to his lip, advising silence...In the background, the city walls surround the secret."
Also the silence of the initiated, I think it points out to that as well.

I personally really like this last gate as to me it mainly signifies the stage of conjunction, the final work on material plane before the process of ascension back to Adam Kadmon consciousness and as a result, that which is called enlightenment.

THE NINTH GATE
Teth (Serpent) = 9th Hebrew Letter * Roman Numeral VIIII * Theta = 9th Greek Letter
N.NC SCO TEN.BR LVX
NUNC SCIO TENEBRIS LUX
Now I know that from darkness comes Light.
According to the book 'The Club Dumas' (on which the movie 'The Ninth Gate' was based), all three engravings of the Ninth Gate contained in the three books were the same. At the very end of the plot line in the book, Corso discovers that at some time in the past, a forgery occurred but there is no information or speculation presented in the book as to what the original symbolism might have been.
The book version shows in the foreground a naked woman riding on the back of a seven-headed horned beast. In her left hand she holds an open book. Her right hand rests on the shoulder of the beast and there is an upward-facing crescent Moon in her lap. In the background on a hill is a castle engulfed in flames.
The engraving as modified for the movie version shows the same scene except that the face of the woman has been redrawn to resemble the character of 'the girl' in the movie. There is no crescent Moon in her lap, and her right arm is raised, her index finger pointing to the castle which has been redrawn to resemble the actual castle used in filming the movie. In the movie version of the genuine LCF engraving, which Corso finally recovers from the Ceniza Brothers' shop, the castle is not on fire, but instead is blazing with light. Whoever made the decision to contrast the AT version of destruction by fire with the LCF version of blazing light in my opinion should be congratulated because this symbolism fits very well with the traditional wisdom about the ultimate experience the traveler encounters as he finally crosses the Abyss and enters into the Transcendent Realm of Unity.
In the analysis of the Seventh Gate ('The disciple surpasses the master'), we learned that the 'non-sephira' called Daath/Knowledge, located at the center of the Abyss, was the original place of Malkuth/The Daughter before her 'Fall' from a state of Unity created the lower portion of the Tree. It is a Qabalistic tradition to consider the 'Fall' described in the Old Testament story of the Garden of Eden not as the Fall of man as a separate being from his Creator, but rather as the voluntary Fall of one aspect of the Divine from Unity into the realm of apparent separation and duality in search of knowledge through experience. And as each individual Soul completes its journey through the evolving states of consciousness represented by the lower seven sephiroth of the Tree of Life, as the Soul makes the crossing back into Unity, it not only reunites its individual indwelling transcendent spark of Divinity with its Source but also brings its share of the riches of the lower Tree -- the energies of The Daughter, ripe now with the fruit of life experience -- and adds this share of treasure to the great harvest of Knowledge at Daath. [data collectors all -- saith Inanna!]
Crowley called the woman who rides the beast 'Babalon'. He received the vision of the symbol after he had conducted invocations using the Enochian system of magick, and the Enochian word BABALOND is translated as 'harlot'. Babalon is identified both with the returning Daughter of the lower Tree (who created the lower sephiroth in the process of her Fall and collects and returns their energies to Unity on her return) and also with the first Transcendent sephira at the place of return, Binah, the Mother of all Form. In both contexts, her upraised Grail Chalice (on the Tarot card) represents the receptacle of all possible varieties of earthly experience. As both Binah/the Mother and Malkuth/the Daughter, She is the 'womb' from which all of the forms of the lower Tree were born and it is She who welcomes all returning travelers back into Herself and into ultimate Union with their Source. She refuses no one, becoming One with all who cross into Unity, which is the basis of her symbolic role as 'Sacred Prostitute'
[Editor's Note: From Starhawk, we have:
I who am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars and the mysteries of the waters, I call upon your soul to arise and come unto me.
For I am the soul of nature that gives life to the universe. From Me all things proceed and unto Me they must return.
Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold -- all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals. Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.
And you who seek to know Me, know that your seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: For if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.
For behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am that which is attained as the end of desire.]
In her aspect as The Daughter, Babalon returns to the realm of Unity riding the 'Beast' whose seven heads are the energies of the seven lower sephiroth. In Crowley's description, the heads are those of an angel (Chesed), a saint (Geburah), a poet (Tiphareth), a sensuous woman (Netzach), a valiant man (Hod), a satyr (Yesod) and a Lion-Serpent (Malkuth). There have been many attempts to interpret the vision of the Apocalypse of St. John in terms of historical, current or future political events, and it may or may not be possible to do that. But what is certain is that it was written in the form of an encoded 'occult' document which symbolically describes a process of transformation whereby the 'fallen' consciousness of the human Soul may find its way back to 'the Garden'.
The Apocalypse is called A Revelation *to* John. According to Elizabeth Van Buren, author of 'Sign of the Dove', the true name of the Dove in Greek is Ionas. John of the Apocalypse is also Ionnes, the Dove, the one who has been initiated into the Mysteries and has received the Holy Spirit. This is not a message originally intended for the general public, but a vision received by an initiate. It was recorded in the symbolic language of initiation, coded to disguise its Gnostic elements and is seeded with Qabalistic references which survive even in translation, including a structure of 22 chapters, a number related to the 22 paths of the Qabalistic Tree.
The clues as to the context in which this work is to be interpreted are there for those "who have ears to hear", a phrase which is repeated many times in the text itself, and numerical codes related to the original Greek language in which it was written are one central key to its meaning. For purposes of understanding the nature of the transformation which occurs with the opening of the Ninth Gate, we will focus on the numerical codes which were used (for those familiar with their derivation) as clues to the occult meaning of the four beasts which the vision describes, including 'the Beast' whose number is 666.

and last of these three:

Last edited by Lilith; 09-13-10 at 08:32 AM.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10   #7
The Black Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSister View Post
I think one part of the "silence is golden" idea comes from the idea that all words hold a certain type of energy and power. To speak them wrongly at the incorrect time will cause discord, whereas speaking them correctly at the right time will cause harmony. One has to measure the words very carefully and then decide when one can take the course towards creating harmony. Silence, in that case, is pure gold.. the alchemy of knowing when to speak and when to be silent is valuable beyond anything else..

mmmmmmmm never get's old Sunsis.

to the dust on the wind
I say *be still*
to the Universe
I say *keep moving*

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden

Last edited by The Black Elf; 11-05-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-26-10   #8
Lilith
Of The Void

Found this interesting, sounds like another one of those "lets try and promote ancient religions as evil" ..

Throughout the Hebrew Scriptures the ancient city of Babylon is positioned as the enemy of Jehovah God and his people.
Though Babylon became the capital of a political empire in the seventh and sixth centuries BCE, it was known during its entire history as a religious center from which religious influences radiated in many directions.
In the ancient world, prior to the rise of Christianity, Egypt, Persia, and Greece felt the influence of the Babylonian religion. . . . In Persia, the Mithra cult reveals the unmistakable influence of Babylonian conceptions; and if it be recalled what a degree of importance the mysteries connected with this cult acquired among the Romans, another link will be added connecting the ramifications of ancient culture with the civilization of the Euphrates Valley.” In conclusion he refers to “the profound impression made upon the ancient world by the remarkable manifestations of religious thought in Babylonia and by the religious activity that prevailed in that region.
Babylon’s religious influence is traced eastward to India.
The swastika and the cross, common on stamps and plaques, were religious or magical symbols as in Babylonia and Elam in the earliest prehistoric period, but preserve that character also in modern India as elsewhere
Like mystic Babylon, the ancient city of Babylon, in effect, sat on the waters, located, as it was, astride the Euphrates River and having various canals and water-filled moats. These waters served as a defense to the city, and they provided the thoroughfares upon which ships brought wealth and luxuries from many sources. Notably, the water of the Euphrates is depicted as drying up prior to Babylon the Great’s experiencing the wrath of divine judgment.
It is not sufficient to identify Rome and Babylon. Babylon embraces more than one empire or culture. It is defined rather by dominant idolatries than by geographical or temporal boundaries. Babylon is coextensive with the kingdom of that beast which has corrupted and enslaved mankind.

17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth [King James Version; the New International Version Bible uses "hills" instead of "mountains"]. 17:10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. 17:11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition. 17:12 And the ten horns which thou saw are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. 17:15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. 17:18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth. ― Revelation 17:4-18 (various)
Old 11-26-10   #9
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_valerie View Post
??????????????? I'm so lost.
So are the rest of us, Valerie. With magick, getting lost is the *point*.

But from a grimoire which I consider of great value, on this topic...

Rule of Silence: When a program has nothing surprising to say, it should say nothing.

One of Unix's oldest and most persistent design rules is that when a program has nothing interesting or surprising to say, it should shut up. Well-behaved Unix programs do their jobs unobtrusively, with a minimum of fuss and bother. Silence is golden.

This “silence is golden” rule evolved originally because Unix predates video displays. On the slow printing terminals of 1969, each line of unnecessary output was a serious drain on the user's time. That constraint is gone, but excellent reasons for terseness remain.

-- Eric Rayond, The Art of UNIX Programming

Last edited by petrus4; 11-26-10 at 10:05 AM.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10   #10
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

To know. To dare. To will. To be silent.

That's the tradition. Do none of you challenge tradition?

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote