Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic

Ritual Magic Exploration of ritual magic from the Golden Dawn to the myriad modern offshoots

Old 02-24-12   #21
ffetcher

Default Re: Ritual Clothes

For some reason I don't seem to have commented here first time around, although most of what will follow is elsewhere on ESF in bits. On our own, the pair of us work skyclad most of the time, but we have a matched pair of robes for certain stuff inside the house, and a matched pair of sweatshirts with a special silk-screen design that I did, for outdoors (kept the screen, then when they wear out, I can do some more...).

We would normally bathe with special stuff, but not always, as the fairly hectic lifestyle means that, for example, tonight she's not going to be home until about ten thirty (no ritual planned for tonight except eating a decent meal, but you know what I mean) and sometimes it's the other way around. No real point in a ritual bath and then falling asleep before the ritual itself.

For working with the local group, we use street clothes with some special jewellery. For Anderida's open rituals, anything goes, we're normally in street clothes once again but several people wear special robes and suchlike.

(Oh, and FTR, the lovely lady who owns the rf site I share comments that she'd be happy cycling nekkid, except she'd want a sports bra. Probably more information than you really needed but I thought I'd pass it on anyway.)

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12   #22
Kokaba'al

It will depend on what I am doing. Mostly, I just like something plain, and comfortable. I like to remove all jewellery (well, other than piercings, but only because taking them out is such a faff) and make up, usually.

Sometimes, I will go all out - bathe or shower, then wear a loose fitting, kinda hippy, long dress. I also have a black robe, it's very warm though, so not always suitable, and it has been customized to be the garb I wear when I am doing work with, or related to my servitor-godform. When I was doing invocation of this godform at the group rite when I visited the States, I also used body paints to draw his four Aspect Sigils on myself, and wrapped my hands and fingers with long, thin rags adorned with beads and such.

Body paints are fun for that sort of thing!

I am looking into getting another plain black hooded robe, of a lighter material. For some reason I would also like a yellow one, heh.
Old 02-27-12   #23
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
(Oh, and FTR, the lovely lady who owns the rf site I share comments that she'd be happy cycling nekkid, except she'd want a sports bra. Probably more information than you really needed but I thought I'd pass it on anyway.)
Hah! Yeah, I know; people of all genders do it. I just don't think I could deal with the chafing!
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-12   #24
Vindictus
Serpent King

Ritual clothing, eh?

Well, I still haven't been able to find suitable items for a 'Pimpmeister' [cough Red Mage cough] robe... So, pants and a t-shirt?

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12   #25
Fabienne S. Morgana
Thread Necromancer

I must confess, as much as I love all the full theatrical get up... I worked in live theatre and entertainment for over 20 years... as a Stage Manager. I wore clean, practical black backstage..

Now, I tend to have the same approach - I like to be clean, I like my clothes to be clean, I like to be comfortable..

I have an amazing designer gothic blood red velvet dress and matching cape with faux silver fox fur trim and silver satin lining that I modelled for a gothic fashion parade ... oh, about a 100 years ago... it is stunning, it still fits me (stretch velvet, lol!).. and I never wear it.

I am thinking about making it my formal ritual attire... or at least the cloak...

Recently I did a ritual veiled - and that was incredibly powerful for me.. so I am thinking about incorporating that more.

I sometimes work skyclad privately, but I am not interested in doing so in groups.

FPSM - inspired by Donald L. Engstrom-Reece

Business page on the ubiquitous Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FabienneS.Morgana

Twitter: https://twitter.com/FabienneMorgana
Fabienne S. Morgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12   #26
Vindictus
Serpent King

Honestly, while I joke about the 'Pimpmeister' robes, I'll probably end up getting a fitted black hood, sweatpants, boots, gloves and a mask rather than anything flashy.

Pity, because Red Mage Robes are epic ^_^

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12   #27
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

People who aren't very familiar with neo-Paganism, or who don't see the appeal of special clothes for ritual, often ask me why I do it. My response has always been that the special clothes serve as a cue to my psyche that we're moving into a liminal space. They help me focus.

Now this sense is proven...WITH SCIENCE! "The Brain-Focusing Power of the Lab Coat"
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote