Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Magical Tools and Implements

Magical Tools and Implements A place to share techniques and tips for finding and making everything magical; robes, wands, staffs, headdresses, altars, anything used in magic and ritual.

Old 03-30-10   #1
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Have you danced your tools?

Have you danced your tools? Seems like it might be a silly question I suppose but it amazes me the number of practioners that have not done so. Oh yes they dedicate them. They consacrate them to who ever. They use them in this or that ceremony. Yet so few have actually danced them to understand them.

In my practice my primary tools are the staff and sword. The staff a length of some wood about 6 feet long. My sword a Japanesse Samuari sword with it companion short sword. Yet realility wise they are nothing more than a length of tree and some folded metal. Yep, nothing more than that until I dance with them. Like Pinicchio they await the crafters hand to awaken the spirit that lies within and allow it to become one with them.

In the dance one becomes one and merges with the staff or sword. We swing them, bend them, swirl them and twist and turn them about our bodies. In movement does the sword and staff become extensions of my arms or braces of my legs. In the dance do I hear them sing and feel them vibrate to the rythme of life and the pulse of thier essence. Flesh upon wood or metal like the kiss of a lover as one moves against the other.

Those who walked the warrior's path familar with the various dances of our tools. Even today facets and remnants still remain of elder rituals and dances. Soliders who sleep with their weapon in bootcamp to learn it's feel and energy. Ancient hunter societies where dances were done before the hunt where thier ancient tools of bow and arrow or spear danced before the fires.

From my youth I recall the woman turning their kettles and large pots upon their end and dancing about them as they drummed the beat. Wooden spoons upon copper or cast iron as they raised the forces of thier kitchen wares. Tools of thier use made as one with them as they raised their calls and energy to dance their tools. Names long silent spoken as each is called forth to take the beat with the dancers.

Yet today it seems to me that many have no idea of what it means to dance their tools. The stagnate usage of athame as it is raised high to mark the god then placed within their chalice. Wands moved to mark the spots or call the elements but dead within thier hand. Simple pieces of steel or wood never awakened to have it's essence called out and felt. Oh yes adorned many times with trinkets and jewels but never awakened.

When was the last time you (collective) took your athame and danced with it. Held it pommel grasped then rolled the pommel between your fingers? Passed the blade between fingers or hand to hand as the blade was brough to life to heat cold steel. Raised on high then dropped down to twist behinds ones back or snake through legs and arm as it merged with your own energy? To become the serpents tongue as it tasted the air and sensed the currents.

What of one's wand? The simple piece of wood that is so much more when brought to life. One moment hard and stiff to the touch, the next almost snake like as it seem's to fold or bend as it is danced and played about the body. Moving in motion that is illusion before the eye, part real part spirit and a part that is almost etheral as it appears to pass through ones body instead of folding about it.

Even the simplest thing like cards danced as they are brough to life. Rolled through fingers and across them like some magical coin trick. Snaked up the arm or rolled through the air in the shuffle to charge the deck in energy.

So many dances that seem lost or unspoken of it the 101 books. The simple action of bringing to life those things that we use to be more than just cold steel, paper, wooden staves of various lengths. No each an item of power and purpose with an energy and presence all thier own to merge with ours if we but take the time to dance the dance of awakening for them. To dance the dance of awakening to recharge and remind them and us of the energy and pull as we raise our tools.

Raise them in the dances of awakening.

So I ask, Have you danced your tools?
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10   #2
Blackwolf
Faery Path Elder

Default Re: Have you danced your tools?

Hmmm...

Last week ?

( great post , MonSnoLeeDra )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
When was the last time you (collective) took your athame and danced with it. Held it pommel grasped then rolled the pommel between your fingers? Passed the blade between fingers or hand to hand as the blade was brough to life to heat cold steel. Raised on high then dropped down to twist behinds ones back or snake through legs and arm as it merged with your own energy? To become the serpents tongue as it tasted the air and sensed the currents.

What of one's wand? The simple piece of wood that is so much more when brought to life. One moment hard and stiff to the touch, the next almost snake like as it seem's to fold or bend as it is danced and played about the body. Moving in motion that is illusion before the eye, part real part spirit and a part that is almost etheral as it appears to pass through ones body instead of folding about it.

Even the simplest thing like cards danced as they are brough to life. Rolled through fingers and across them like some magical coin trick. Snaked up the arm or rolled through the air in the shuffle to charge the deck in energy.
Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10   #3
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

My athame feels like it's singing when I pick it up and use it for my energywork. It's like a dance between the two of us. I experience something similar with cards, though they seem to talk more than actually sing.

Mostly, though, I dance with paint and brushes on canvas. My art is a form of energywork and I charge every single one of those paintings from bottom to top with specific energies. My peace of mind stems from the long periods I spend in trance/dance with a painting.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10   #4
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has

I don't dance. For any reason. Ever. I'm not a dancer...I have no sense of how to move, and I may be the only Hispanic who doesn't. I'm afraid that one of my teachers may end up kicking my derrier to dance, since he dances, but AAAARHGHSGjks don't want to. I find it too embarrassing.

Besides that, particularly in terms of weaponry, I consider things like kata and bunkai as dance "enough," particularly when performed by someone who can do free flow.
Old 03-30-10   #5
glass in bloom

So much dancing all the time with everything...

SO MUCH LOVE for this post, MonSno_LeeDra! I love how you're learning by dancing. Too many people think that's impossible.
glass in bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10   #6
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass in bloom View Post
So much dancing all the time with everything...

SO MUCH LOVE for this post, MonSno_LeeDra! I love how you're learning by dancing. Too many people think that's impossible.
Saddly much of it was not about love though in the begining. Many on the warrior's path danced thier weapons to learn to use them in every manner. To make the weapon an extension of themselves as if it were a living thing.

Me I still dance with my swords but unlike the past I tend to keep the scabbard on when I do so. But I can tell you that still hurts like the dickens when you crack yourself up beside the head or an arm or leg.

Dance is very powerful though if done right I think. What gets me is that so many also think of dance as fast paced yet many times it can be slow and ritualized to each step, turn and jump or bend.

Yet so many never realize it. I think one of the biggest dances that was done in the Pagan community as a whole was ridding the Besoom or broom. Yeah there was flying ointments and such but the whole of it was a dance to connect to the growing land and the power of the hearth. Yet that is another that I seldom hear of being done anymore.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10   #7
Miaerowyn

Love the post, MonSno!
There's such a disconnect lately as people tend to only want to use things just as they are, tools, materials unliving. There's a reason why we use them, and to connect with them is to connect with our selves and the universe's energies.

I think it makes for much more powerful magick, and more sincerity when you're not just going through the motions, but using them as extensions of yourself. Awesome!

Momentary thoughts on Twitter.
Miaerowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15   #8
Sollie

I have several swords that I plan to dance with once I get my house (Apartments suck!).

My athame...I carry it, I twist it, I lay it between my fingers and breathe into it. It's new, but it's revealing such a nice little personality. =)

I used to have bokken and fencing swords I could dance with, but my brothers claimed them. I have a staff, but it's lost in my parent's labyrinth garage. Again, once I have access to my house and the item, I will definitely ask it to dance. =P

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-15   #9
Fethenwen

Thanks for bringing up this old thread Sollie. This surely is something that has gone missing for many, not that it is utterly necessary for every tool or situation, but dancing really is so natural to (most) of us humans and have been part of ritual since the beginning.
Makes me think if I have been practicing it enough, perhaps not. Dancing comes very naturally to me, it really is something I should be doing more often to open myself up and get everything flowing.
My drum and rattle have gone through a fair amount of dancing, I also have a mala that could use some of that too
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote