Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Enchantment > Folklore and Fairytales

Folklore and Fairytales Every country has specific tales that have acted like a backbone to its people for centuries-Folklore is the fertile soil of morals, heroism and fantasy. Come share stories and magical tales, from wherever you hail...

Old 01-23-12   #11
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: haunted graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
Same thing happened here!!! Made the paper, too!!!

Our cemetery is called China Grove and was closed off to the public decades ago because reports of satanic worship and sacrifice kept surfacing from there. Dead cats, dogs, goats and cows were found in the cemetery, along with all those evil symbols and such. Then, just to make sure everyone stayed out, the police built a vehicle compound and maintenance lot right beside the cemetery. So anyone trying to enter China Grove nowadays, is immediately arrested then tarred and feathered on the courthouse lawn at dawn!
Even stuff like this though passes into the Urban Legend heading. It's sort of like Bunnyman Bridge, the intial articles hold a word or suggestion then over time it grows and grows as to what happened or was found. Then you dig back far enough and find it was nothing like what is represented in today's tales.

Then factor in the 70's and 80's anything and everything was Satanic that occured. Cat got run over died in the cemetery suddenly became Satanic sacrifice. But the Satanic craze is also part of the Urban Legends myth that has taken hold in many parts of the states.

I found one I followed a few years ago that was often cited as appearing in the news papers. Going back through old micro film you find out it was a letters to the editor type thing that became blown out of porportion.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12   #12
HRH
Just me

Guys, while the original post might have been made in a serious manner, I'm fairly sure the seeker is joking. Re-read the last sentence. When I read it the first time, I thought she was telling what she believed to be true...them, when I got to the last sentence, "tarred and feathered on the courthouse lawn at dawn," I covered my screen with my drink in a most undignified manner.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12   #13
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
Guys, while the original post might have been made in a serious manner, I'm fairly sure the seeker is joking. Re-read the last sentence. When I read it the first time, I thought she was telling what she believed to be true...them, when I got to the last sentence, "tarred and feathered on the courthouse lawn at dawn," I covered my screen with my drink in a most undignified manner.
Oh I figured she was pulling the leg type thing. It's just Satanism seems to be the current badguy for the urban legends. yet if you track them back through time there was a period of the drifter doing it, then the lunatic who escaped from an asalyum who did it, then the distraught lover who did it. Of course there has always been the popular "Witch" or person who called upon foul things in the darkness though they didn't always use sacrifice of babies.

Of course then you always have the Policeman in wolfs clothing type thing that stops the lone female and does things to her.
Old 01-23-12   #14
DischordianJoy

Satanic Panic was all big in the 70's and 80's but there has never been a genuine documented case of ritual abuse by Satanists. No black masses, no hypnotized children doing unspeakable things, no sacrificed corpses, no reverse crucifixions, nothing.
DischordianJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12   #15
HRH
Just me

Some things take root in the imagination and grow.

Last edited by HRH; 02-01-12 at 08:27 AM.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12   #16
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DischordianJoy View Post
Satanic Panic was all big in the 70's and 80's but there has never been a genuine documented case of ritual abuse by Satanists. No black masses, no hypnotized children doing unspeakable things, no sacrificed corpses, no reverse crucifixions, nothing.
That's the thing with most urban legend type things, no proof of it ever having occured. When there is some symbalance of proof it never matches the stories that have evolved around it. The Satanic stuff is a perfect example of the legend being more than the proof or lack there of.

Which is sort of ironic when you consider all the real strange stuff that happens everyday and doesn't need makeup to make it better.
Old 01-24-12   #17
Feyhu
The Wanderer

well this has led to some interesting, and funny, conversation...

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Feyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12   #18
DonelleBeira

H, you sent me to bed with giggles over the image of you spewing your drink.

The China Grove cemetery story is true....right up to the "tar and feather" part. There were animal carcasses found out there and reports of bonfires in the middle of the nite with evidence left behind of the bonfires. The police do have a maintenance shed and compound lot that they built beside the cemetery and the cemetery is closed off...and you are subject to arrest if they find you inside the gate.

I visited with some of my local friends last nite about these stories, a couple of them were policemen years ago and verified the stories of carcasses and fires. They believe it was just kids trying to stir things up and/or simply partying out there. At one time, a rather disturbed individual lived in the area and they think he was the one killing the animals - he is now in a mental institute and has been for decades.

I was reminded of another folk story from this area when chatting last nite -

There is a road out in the county that is very isolated - no houses, buildings, other roads connect to this road for a very long way. The road runs through an area that is rather swampy (which probably explains the phenomenon). You can drive down this road on the nites when there is no moon and "ghosts will come up out of the swamp and follow your car down the road, throwing balls of lightening at you."

A similar story exists further south of us in another swampy area. In this story, a train track runs through the swamp and there is a rail switch in this section of track. Long ago, men would stand beside the tracks with lanterns that would indicate which track the train should follow.

The story goes that an engineer didn't see the lantern man and ran over him, killing him. His ghost now haunts the tracks there, flashing his lantern at the trains trying to make them derail out of revenge for his death.

I have been to this area and seen the "lantern ghost" walking the tracks. But it has to do with gasses in the swamp that release these balls of light which float along the ground then dissipate.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote