Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

Old 06-20-08   #1
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default The Greatest Modern Myth: Beelzebub's Tales

After miraculously recovering from a near fatal car crash, the great esoteric teacher G.I. Gurdjieff spent the next quarter century laborously and pain-stakenly pouring all of his incredible teaching of ancient practices, specifically reformulated for the current times and the western mind, in a book which was his hope for the future. Being uncertain that his teaching would continue in a lineage of oral transmission, he safely buried his secrets within the strange and almost alien syntax of what is, in my opinion, the greatest modern myth we now have available, and at a bookstore near you.

Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson (or, An Impartially Objective Criticism of the Life of Man) is the epic story of Beelzebub, now pardoned from his crimes which exiled him from the Most Most Holy Sun Absolute to the far nether regions of the Universe (namely, Mars), is on his return journey back to the abode of His Endlessness at the center of the Universe. With him on the spaceship "Omnipresent" is his grandson, Hassein, joyfully basking in the love of his grandfather, who asks to hear a story of those "strange three-brained beings" of that planet Earth, which Beelzebub had spent those many long years from Mars observing.

Thus, with grandfatherly tenderness, Beelzebub relates his perspectives on those strange beings, and also, what caused them to be as such, and how they maybe, just might be able to free themselves from those causes.

Although the book is a whopping 1238 pages of intricately worded sentences designed to NOT be read as we've become automatized to read, I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who is either a student of mythology, the occult, or even Science Fiction.

Considering the topics covered in this book in a purely literal sense (not taking any esoteric or inner meaning from them) such as the different modes of space travel used in the past and the reason for the current technology being used, to the strange electronic devices created by the strange raven-like beings on the planet Saturn, this book deserves it's place right along side some of the greatest science-fiction of our time, considering also that Gurdjieff began to write it in 1924.

If anyone was to read this book, I assure you, we would have a lot to talk about.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08   #2
Rend Sever

Default Re: The Greatest Modern Myth: Beelzebub's Tales

At first upon my venture into this book, I found his writing style to be very difficult and fatiguing to read, challenging my ability to absorb the information at hand and the verbose verbiage it is contained within, but upon reading the words aloud while by myself, I found that the musings began to leap out at me with a quite powerful and poetic veracity, indeed not only showing Gurdjieff's talent for philosophy and writing, yet also showing him to have a bard-like quality of astounding proportions, of which you may have noticed me attempting to mimic with great pleasure in this, thus far, period-less post.

Thanks for reserving this for me. It's putting me to the test, and it feels great.

Last edited by Rend Sever; 08-22-08 at 03:56 PM.
Rend Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08   #3
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

This book has been like a friend to me, not like the kind that supports my weaknesses, but of the variety which challenges and confronts my thoughts, beliefs and attitudes at every turn. In fact, Gurdjieff's father was a well known 'ashok' (troubadour, or bard) of ancient tradition who was able to recite many great stories simply by memory. As a child, Gurdjieff grew up listening to Gilgamesh and one day when he was much older, found an article describing a recent discovery of clay tablets which contained parts of the story. When he read the translations, he was amazed with how precisely the story had been handed down simply by oral tradition, and over thousands of years. This was one of the many factors which led him to believe that ancient knowledge must still be alive today, if even there are no 'books' which seem to contain it ... well, until now

I look forward to hearing your perspectives on Beelzebub! He definately rewards our efforts with that book ... he creates very difficult chapters to read at certain intervals, only to change his style completely in the next chapter and put certain ideas forward in a very direct way. It's said that the book contains many locks and has all the keys needed to open the secrets, but they are not always found in the same place!

Let me know when you get to the chapter "Hypnotism" ... there is a missing page which I can make sure you get!
Old 12-05-12   #4
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

When approaching Beelzebub's Tales, it's important to read the words as closely to how Gurdjieff intended them. One would think this not be a problem, but the Gurdjieff Foundation took it upon themselves to 'reinterpret' the writings for the current era. This was exactly something Gurdjieff had hoped to avoid, since in making his writings difficult to digest, he hoped to deter the weak and lazy of mind from the secrets he buried within his book. The meanings of his writings, he would hope each person derive for themselves, not through an 'orthodoxy' of interpreters. Here is a link to the original 1950 edition, in pdf format.

http://ebookbrowse.com/gurdjieff-bee...pdf-d385293539
Old 12-05-12   #5
Goaty Glee
Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
When approaching Beelzebub's Tales, it's important to read the words as closely to how Gurdjieff intended them. One would think this not be a problem, but the Gurdjieff Foundation took it upon themselves to 'reinterpret' the writings for the current era. This was exactly something Gurdjieff had hoped to avoid, since in making his writings difficult to digest, he hoped to deter the weak and lazy of mind from the secrets he buried within his book. The meanings of his writings, he would hope each person derive for themselves, not through an 'orthodoxy' of interpreters. Here is a link to the original 1950 edition, in pdf format.

http://ebookbrowse.com/gurdjieff-bee...pdf-d385293539
Thanks for this Leben. I bought an edition for my Kindle but I'm not sure if it is this one. Better to have it just in case.

http://www.lloydkeane.com/-Web Site
North Star Pylon (Canadian Pylon of the Temple of Set)
Goaty Glee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12   #6
Rapture

I have downloaded it so I can have a look.

Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12   #7
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaty Glee View Post
Thanks for this Leben. I bought an edition for my Kindle but I'm not sure if it is this one. Better to have it just in case.
I'd be interested to hear what version you downloaded, where you downloaded it from. I can probably figure out which edition it is if you haven't already.

Also, here is some missing text from the 1950 edition, from the chapter on Hypnotism:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The following text is missing from page 568, at line 18:
“So, my boy, when the hypnotist, by modifying the tempo of their blood circulation, temporarily suspends the action of the localization of their false consciousness is now the ruling master of their common presence – the sacred data of their genuine consciousness can blend freely during their ‘waking’ state with the entire functioning of their planetary body; and if then he rightly assists the crystallization of data evoking in that localization an idea contrary to what has been fixed there, and directs the action of that idea upon the disharmonized part of the planetary body, an accelerated modification of the circulation of the blood in that part can be produced.

“During the period of the Tikliamishian civilization, when the learned beings from the country of Maralpleicie first discovered the possibility of such combinations in their common psyche and tried to put one another at will into that special state, they soon found out and understood how to obtain it with the help of what is called being-hanbledzoin, that cosmic substance whose essence the three-brained beings of contemporary civilization came close to understanding, and which they named animal magnetism.
Also, I've attached an 'errata' for the Tales in pdf form.

Rapture~ I'd recommend to start with chapter 2, "Why Beelzebub Was in Our Solar System," then return to chapter 1 at some point later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G_and_I_Errata.pdf (37.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-06-12   #8
Rapture

thanks leben

Old 12-06-12   #9
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

user 'Harold Good' (a nod to one of Gurdjieff's writings, "The Herald of Coming Good") on YouTube, has done what appears to be a reading of the whole book, or most of it at least. Here is a reading beginning with Chapter 2: Why Beelzebub was in our Solar System, though navigating through this user's page will bring up Chapter 1 if you wish to start there.

If you listen, I would advise reading along in the pdf. Enjoy

Old 12-06-12   #10
Rapture

Thanks for the link, however I'm a bit funny in that I don't like listening to people read... that sounds really weird I'm sure!