Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 08-24-14   #31
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Sugar Addiction

Sounds good, Bartmanhomer. As long as you stay positive about your situation, I'm happy.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14   #32
Bartmanhomer

Today on my way to the library, I went to the subway to wait for the train. There a little bodega store over there and I bought myself a Kit Kat bar and a Welch grape bottle soda. It got a lot of sugar and carbohydrates. And carbohydrates turns into sugar.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14   #33
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

It's moments like that that you need to REMEMBER that instant gratification is not the key to your success. Try wearing a rubber band on your wrist. When you see a trigger (something like the bowl of jelly beans or the bodega store), pull the rubber band and slap your wrist enough to feel the sting (this releases important brain chemicals, it's NOT a punishment) and recite to yourself "enough is enough. I will be free from my addiction and this will bring me more happiness than eating sugar." Give it a try, let us know how it goes. It's like picking a lock, Bartmanhomer. We try a few different things, a few different ways.
Old 08-24-14   #34
Bartmanhomer

I wear a Jesus bracelet. That`s a substitution of a rubber brand. Does it really work?
Old 08-24-14   #35
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Well, the point is to slap your wrist with the rubber band to release endorphins, which helps with behavior modification. Perhaps asking "What would Jesus do?" when faced with the temptation would be helpful also. You've got to hold yourself accountable.
Old 08-24-14   #36
Bartmanhomer

I`ll try it. Thanks Leben.
Old 08-24-14   #37
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

After slapping the rubber band (and NOT eating the sugar) remember to focus on the positive outcome you want, really envision yourself being free of your addiction, and FEEL what it will feel like when you accomplish that.
Old 08-24-14   #38
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
It`s okay Leben we should continue talking here at this thread. I`m pretty sure MonSno_LeeDra didn`t mean those things out of disrespect.
Never out of disrespect or a malice intent / purpose behind it BartmanHomer.

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 08-24-14 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling correction
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14   #39
feranaja

Bartman, I've been meaning to jump in here with a slightly different perspective, but had to take yesterday (sort of) off to get some rest.
I support what Leben is doing here, but don't wish to get into a conflict with the whole psychological approach. From a herbalist's perspective,however - a few things come to mind, not to replace Leben's ideas but to complement them. I need to ask a few questions first. Bear in mind I work with a fair bit of sugar addiction, professionally, and to do justice to the client, I need a full History/Intake form. But some ideas might help with the physiological end of the cravings and make the psychological easier to manage.

So - questions.
1) What does your normal diet, aside from the sugar, consist of? I need full disclosure here, so tell the truth, lol. What do you typically eat, how much fresh vegetable and fruit is in your diet, how much fried food, do you eat a lot of bread? Drink much milk? The more you can tell the better.
2) Do you take any vitamin or other type of supplements?
3) how much physical exercise do you regularly get?
4) Are you on any medications (can't recall if this was asked, sorry if it was already)
5) Have you been clinically diagnosed as having ADHD?
6) How long have you been eating so much candy etc?
7) you recently went through pretty extensive dental surgery. Can you outline for me why you had to have your teeth removed? Have you been taking a lot of antibiotics?

Constant intake of refined sugar is one of THE worst things you can do to your body. I have ADHD, and just a teaspoon or two of local raw honey in my afternoon tea, which I LOVE! will make sleeping difficult. There is so much you can do (ADHD or not) with your diet and with herbs, to help shut down those cravings. If you can fill me in a bit, I may be able to help.

Are you able to get things like supplements and herbs?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14   #40
Bartmanhomer

Here's my answer:

1. I eat fruits, vegetables, pasta and meat.
2. I used to take vitamin C but not anymore.
3. I use to exercise 30 minutes 5 times a week but not any more.
4. I take strattera for my ADHD and my Risperdal for my anger.
5. I was diagnosed for ADHD since I was 3 years old.
6. I'm been eating candy everyday.
7. The reason why I have my teeth removed was advanced gum disease.
8. I don't take supplements and herbs.