Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > The Gardening Forum

The Gardening Forum Indoor and outdoor gardening - vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers - any topic related to growing, using, preserving plants

Old 05-30-18   #21
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: What's your 2018 Garden Like?

So far from the garden in back...I just wish Lily's of the valley would last longer.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18   #22
feranaja

Totally gorgeous - and a sumac too??

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18   #23
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Yes, stag sumac I think its called. They grew bigger than we expected.

Old 05-31-18   #24
feranaja

Staghorn sumac! Very medicinal - I have a large tree in my yard too, the first time I've had one since I moved to this area 30 years ago. <3 Beautiful, and magical - as befits the home of a FaerieWoman.

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
Old 06-08-18   #25
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I found a recipe for Sumac Lemonade:
Makes 1 quart
If you are collecting fresh sumac berries, break off the stems at the joint, just below the seed clusters. Before brewing, separate the fruits from the clusters. Or, start with dried sumac berries. Fresh berries will produce the best flavor. This recipe comes from discussions with a military man who made this drink during his travels and the website www.ediblewild.com/sumac.html.
  • 1/3 cup dried sumac berries or 1 cup fresh sumac berries
  • 1 quart boiling filtered water
  • 1/4 cup raw honey, or to taste
  1. Add the sumac berries to the boiling water. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, then turn off and remove from heat. Allow to steep for at least 15 minutes.
  2. Strain the liquid using a double thickness of cheesecloth to remove tiny hairs. Taste, dilute as desired, then sweeten with honey to taste. Chill, serve over ice, and refrigerate unused portions.

Old 06-08-18   #26
Flailing Idiot
Imbecile

hmmm. I should think about the few bushes I will plant in my backyard. Its a big project, likely take me the next few months to dig up, and using the huge pile of nice flagstone I have, create a nice peaceful space, and an area for birds and bees (etc) to feed as well.
Flailing Idiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18   #27
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
I found a recipe for Sumac Lemonade:
Makes 1 quart
If you are collecting fresh sumac berries, break off the stems at the joint, just below the seed clusters. Before brewing, separate the fruits from the clusters. Or, start with dried sumac berries. Fresh berries will produce the best flavor. This recipe comes from discussions with a military man who made this drink during his travels and the website www.ediblewild.com/sumac.html.
  • 1/3 cup dried sumac berries or 1 cup fresh sumac berries
  • 1 quart boiling filtered water
  • 1/4 cup raw honey, or to taste
  1. Add the sumac berries to the boiling water. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, then turn off and remove from heat. Allow to steep for at least 15 minutes.
  2. Strain the liquid using a double thickness of cheesecloth to remove tiny hairs. Taste, dilute as desired, then sweeten with honey to taste. Chill, serve over ice, and refrigerate unused portions.

YOu know what, Rosie, I have that recipe too and I've never made it. If you try it,let me know!

Thomas Moore
Old 06-11-18   #28
Flailing Idiot
Imbecile

I finally was able to finish cleaning up the front Gard and replace all the mulch, the lilacs bloom was short, it seems. I have this sense perhaps I should move them to the back but I'm afraid of digging them up will kill them.

I'm about the start the horror that is my back yard, currently, 4 foot weeds. It's my project for this summer. But, there is 3 nice hydrangeas back there on the side which was done a number of years ago with stone, andI spotted a handful of climbing red roses we didn't know were there (because they never bloomed...) and I see piles of red roses. So, there hope in amongst the huge weed problem. I'll start with whacking it all down, placing fabric over after a good soaking with vinegar to start I guess, and spreading the digging it up over a few weeks not to kill my shoulders. Its really only a 25' by 15' section, not huge, but it all has to be dug up.
Flailing Idiot is online now   Reply With Quote