Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Egyptian Studies > Per Ankh

Per Ankh A forum for discussing the metaphysics of Ancient Egypt.

Old 06-11-10   #1
HetHert
In and Out

Default Meditations and Breathing Exercises for aligning with Air

If one wanted to align with and strengthen their connection with air in an Egyptian way one could do a meditation on Shu the Egyptian God of Air and Wind.

A brief intro to Shu here.

I utilize a meditation for calling and connecting with Shu (God of Air) that involves taking in a counted breathe through the nose. You want to fill your lungs completely so it's important to make sure your breath is deep and fills the bottom of the lungs such that the diaphragm is actively engaged so that it is not just the top of the lungs being filled. Inhale for a medium to slow 4 count. When you breath in concentrate on the feel of the air entering the body. Meditate on how the presence of Shu nurtures and gives you life. So when you inhale you are taking in the essence of Shu. When exhaling do so through the mouth while making the sound "shhhhhhhhhhh" and then let it taper off into the ooooooo where the oooooo is less of an audible sound and more like the sound of a noisey exhale. The end of the exhale should sound like wind rushing from your mouth. You want to exhale for at least a count of 8 and make sure that all the breath is exhaled completely from the lungs. Once you have the mechanics down and do not have to actively think about the breathing you can start to work on visualizing your connection with air and the healing, balancing, centering, and rejuvenating effects the act of breathing and the air you take in is having on the body. You should be refreshed and energized by the end of the practice.

It's best when doing any sort of breath related work that you do so sitting down and start off with low repetitions. Breath work can cause light headedness so you want to assess where your headspace is after 4 rounds and make sure that you stay seated for a few minutes and ground after you stop to allow yourself to come back to a grounded state. You can increase the repetitions each time you perform the meditation. I do so by 2s until I'm comfortable with the experience.

Breath work is an amazing way to get in touch with and harness the powers of Air. I like to recommend Dr. Andrew Weil's breathing techniques to expand upon breathing meditations

Here are some more breathing exercises you can try and incorporate:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521...exercises.html

Now how to utilize your alignment with Shu in a practical setting: Using your breathing technique you can use the same practice to actively call Shu to bring you breezes. Each time you breathe menatlly call upon Shu as you inhale and mimic the sound of breeze on the exhale. Be careful how forcefully you exhale and call Shu...I find the stronger you get at the exercise the and more dynamically one exhales can be directly proportional to the type of breeze you call forth.

Last edited by HetHert; 06-13-10 at 08:09 PM.
HetHert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10   #2
cmh1984

Default Re: Meditations and Breathing Exercises for aligning with Air

FASCINATING!!! I love finding out that things ive insinctually done actually mean something. Im a Gemini so Im tied in with air to begin with, but its more than, that, and deeper than that. Its amazing, I did not realize thats who I was connecting with. I use Air and Wind to cleanse my subtle body, and for a layer in shielding. Thanks for this post!!!!
Old 06-11-10   #3
HetHert
In and Out

As a child of Shu and a Gemini you should also be looking at Tefnut as those two usually go hand in hand.

Shu and Tefnut are brother/sister/counterparts. Tefnut is the moisture that resides in the air.

I'll expound a bit more later and post some links up for them.

HetHert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-10   #4
cmh1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by HetHert View Post
As a child of Shu and a Gemini you should also be looking at Tefnut as those two usually go hand in hand.

Shu and Tefnut are brother/sister/counterparts. Tefnut is the moisture that resides in the air.

I'll expound a bit more later and post some links up for them.
Why thank you!!! fascinating... that may be why Im so intune with storms huh... I greatly anticipate a good dramatic storm! And now my mind wanders and wonders how do Shu and Tefnut tie in with Seshat, or do they at all? I can do a lil foot work to find out....

Shu and Tefnut are the offspring of Ra, Ra is Thoth (or so I associate), Seshat is his counterpart... theres my connection!!

Last edited by cmh1984; 06-11-10 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add info
cmh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote