Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Enchantment > Faerie Lore and Magic

Old 12-05-13   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Cool Froud's Warning On Malicious Fae vs. Doreen Virtue's wishy washy slaphappy opinion

From Good Fairies/Bad Fairies, from Chapter "Introduction," page 5, article title: The Dark Side of Faery,

"Faeries, like humans, are bound to nature and thus reflect its capacity for destruction as well as creation. Having studied faeries for many years now, I've learned that the dark side of these creatures must never be ignored - for it is extremely powerful, with the raw power of natural force.

Numerous indeed are the folktales that remind us of the dangers of Faery and of the many treacherous creatures the unwary traveler might encounter in that realm. The lamia is a seductive faery woman who gives men pleasure beyond their wildest dreams, but she sucks the life's vitality and leaves an empty husk behind. The lovely nixies who dwell in rivers may be enchanting to look upon, but humans who spy on nixies at play are pulled into the water and drowned. The wail of the banshee foretells a death. Jack-in-Irons assaults travelers on lonely roads; and the Red-caps earned their name by dyeing their hats in human blood. At certain times of the year (such as All Hallow's Eve) it is wise to stay safely indoors, for the Faery Host goes riding across the land hunting for souls. Scottish legends have a name for this dark side of Faery: they call it the Unseelie Court - and woe to any woman or man who underestimates its dangers.

Where I live, on Dartmoor, we are haunted by apparitions of sinister black dogs - a typical faery form. (Arthur Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles was written near here and is based on one of these dark apparitions). One stormy night a man was walking from Widecombe, high up on the moor, back home to my village. Suddenly the Wild Hunt was upon him. Jet-black hounds with glowing eyes were baying all around him, barely under the control of the weird Huntsman who led them. The man boldly asked what it was they hunted. Wordlessly, the Huntsman threw him a small bundle, gathered his dogs, and rode away. The man hurried across the moor, clutching the bundle. Only in the candlelight of his home could he see that he held the dead body of his own child.

The faeries take great umbrage at interruptions and interferences. There are many accounts of men and women punished for interrupting faery revels, chopping down faery bushes and trees, or otherwise giving offense. A farmer in Cornwall decided to steal the stone basin from the local pisky's well, with the intention of turning it into a nice new water trough for his pigs. He chained the stone to two oxen and pulled it to the top of a steep hill - whereupon the stone broke free of the chains, rolled downhill, made a sharp turn left, and settled back into its place. One of the oxen died on the spot and the hapless farmer was struck lame.

Like any supernatural encounter, meeting a faery - even one who is gentle and benign - is never a comfortable experience. But to meet one of the dark creatures from the shadowed depths of the faery Otherworld can be frightening indeed. As you travel into the faeries' domain, it is best to be wary of things unseen and the music that lures you into the woods. And always treat faeries with courtesy. You don't want to make them angry."

And now we read Doreen's ridiculous opinion... From Fairies 101, Chapter 10, "Connecting With The Fairies" page 101,

"Since fairies are everywhere, you can connect with them any time. However, it's easiest to hear and see the fairies where they congregate outside in nature, or wherever there are lots of plants and animals [Froud disputes this saying Fae are on an interdimensional plane that transcends all environments, indoor or outdoor], the more fairies there are, the easier they are to hear and see.

The fairies are as real as you are, and they'd love to help you. To connect with them, first decide on a question or request to ask. Direct this question to them either aloud or silently. The fairies hear every request from every being, even those who are new to working with the elementals.

Before the fairies can reply to or help you, they'll first need to know more about your relationship to the environment and animals. They can access this information instantaneously from the energy field surrounding your body.

The fairies aren't judging you so much as they're assessing how Earth-friendly your attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors are. If they deem you need improvements in this area, the fairies will give you assignments. For instance, you may receive gut feelings to recycle rubbish, or to pick up garbage from a nature path. If you follow these intuitive callings, the fairies will begin helping you and working with you.

As long as you do your best to display kindness toward the environment and animals, the fairies will do whatever they can to help you. [Yeah, right...]. And remember that if the fairies ask you to purchase Earth-friendly cleaning supplies, you can ask them to help you pay for them!

You can feel the fairies' presence around plants and animals. Fairies always elicit feeling of excitement, playfulness, and high energy. They're happy, fiery beings."

Conclusion: Froud is in the correct here, in my opinion. Doreen however, since having met and worked with her in person and having determined that I truly do not think she is a liar or a fraud, is then therefore clearing interacting with something different than Froud. My opinion is that Doreen is in contact with nature angels, which are one of the lowest ranking angels in the angelological hierarchy, not true Fae Folk. Lord knows I'd never recommend this book to clients, students or friends! I realized something the other night after reading an article by Froud on faery music... Several times, well, many times at night I hear these drum circles and for the longest time, I figured it was one of the frat extension houses having some sort of marijuana fueled drum circle stoner party, however, I followed the sound and tried to find the location at least 20 times now and could never find it... I think it might be Fae music... This is all so interesting to me.

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13   #2
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Default Re: Froud's Warning On Malicious Fae vs. Doreen Virtue's wishy washy slaphappy opinio

Froud addresses Doreen's attitude here, "Some people attracted to Faeryland are blinded by a common glamour: they are willing to see only a sweet and magic-sparkly view of the faeries, missing the deeper, darker profound power of all things fey. Do not be led astray." --Good Faeries/Bad Faeries, page 6, chapter "Introduction" article, "Faery Glamour"

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13   #3
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Froud's Warning On Malicious Fae vs. Doreen Virtue's wishy washy slaphappy opinio

Doreen makes the assumption that there are no evil Fae. Most of my reading on the subject, has implied that the majority of Fae are probably malevolent, but that does not mean that they all are.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13   #4
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Doreen makes the assumption that there are no evil Fae.
sounds like a fluffy-bunny .

Quote:
Most of my reading on the subject, has implied that the majority of Fae are probably malevolent, but that does not mean that they all are.
I didn't read up enough to make that statement. but I know that they are not all cute and cuddly and if you decide to work with them they can be very petty. and they are far from being weak.

what I do know is that faerie logic is perverse and not to what humanity can understand.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #5
Bara Mortath

I wouldn't say "malevolent" so much as strange, unpredictable, and largely indifferent.

They have their own reasons for doing what they do but those are not human reasons and they are generally not interested in explaining them.
Bara Mortath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #6
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

I wouldn't say malevolent either. Petrus I know you know what blue and orange morality is. The fae are a perfect example. They cannot be judged as good and evil based on human concepts of morality because their motivations are beyond human comprehension.

Wise man said, even if a lion could speak you would not understand it, because the things it would speak about would mean nothing to you.

I believe Froud is talking to the same faeries I do.

I work mostly with the unseelie. They are not as beautiful as the seelie court; in the standard way of interpreting beauty.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #7
feranaja

I definitely agree that people who dabble in seership will often encounter certain types of spirits that ARE pleasant and helpful - plant devas, perhaps, or, as I understand them, local spirits - and mistake these for the Fae. Around here, what I've found anyway, is through regular meditation, ritual practise, feeding the locals(I have two shrines on the property and three out in the wild) and my work with the plant and animal beings here, I feel (this is gonna sound really fluffy) surrounded by protection and support. Cultivation of relationship with the Otherworld can indeed be a beautiful and transformative experience - BUT...but, even when one has done so, there has to be an awareness that all is not bunnies and light on the Other side, and there are dangers. One serious concern for anyone who establishes meaningful relationship with wild spirits and devas is the malevolent ones can assume their shape and trick you. I've had this happen; my instinct for self preservation is strong and I have set up specific questions/greetings with all my spirit-friends; when I had a strong physical warning (kick in the solar plexus) once in an encounter with what I thought was a friendly spirit, I asked a question and began internally building my Inner Flame outwards to encompass me as a shield would...the Imposter screeched like a frightened fox, and evaporated before my eyes.
I greet all my allies with certain words and gestures, nowadays.
I've also gone into the woods and had a specific tree literally say to me " on your guard, earthwalker" or similar words. I trust that tree deeply, even more so given he presides over a part of the woods that did NOT want me there, that has been greatly damaged by human actions; it took literally years of prayer, offering, tests - and returning there to ask humbly for teaching, before he and the rest accepted me as different form the rapists and exploiters. His gift of warning that day was so beautiful to me (and the woods were, literally, grey with some foul energy, Danny whined the whole way, but we would not be intimidated).

So for me, the value of establishing strong relationship cannot be underestimated (with the friendly, helpful, or even simply neutral beings). Now all of these beings, good bad and neutral, are everywhere - as long as you can effectively open your inner vision, stay grounded and safe, and close down once you are done, generally you're safe. But deeper levels, encountered, say, in trance or dream, or under specific influences (mugwort does it for me) or aggressive seeking of The Fae can be very dangerous. My personal advice is to build strong relationships with the locals who WILL appreciate and warn/protect you - and it can take many years of consistent offering and time before that happens - but the potential to develop a veritable army of friends is strong.

Much as I prefer Froud, he is still a popular writer, and I recommend looking a little deeper into the literature on the good Folk, and asking yourself why you want to contact them in the first place. Life is complicated enough; I will walk with Raven, Deer, Maple, Poplar, Grandfather Oak, Yarrow and all the Spirits of the wild here - including the ones I don't really understand and are not associated with the plant or animal worlds - before I muck about with the Fae. I have one strong faerie contact here and it came to ME, as I have been working Avalonian and Druidic magic for some time. But She is very special. I am extremely wary with the rest...I feed them, but I ask for NOTHING! and I never, ever follow that music when it comes. I may stand and listen, but I always - always - walk away.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #8
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

I have followed the fae... Or, more accurately, tracked them down without an invitation. It was not a friendly or comfortable place. I very strongly felt some of them wanted to hurt me. I didn't stay long.

My standard for identifying spirits is simply to ask their name. They don't lie when I do that, ever. Is that only me, or does that work for others? I've had a few occasions where something tried to pretend to be someone I knew. And others where it was my own subconscious fooling around. Just asking works in either case.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Old 12-06-13   #9
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

I wouldn't call them malevolent either.. just operating by a completely different set of standards, rules, and ideas. They're petty, powerful, con-artists extraordinaire, and on the hunt for their own pleasure/enjoyment more than anything else. They never play by our rules, and making any sort of 'deal' with them means you have to waterproof it so they can't run with a loophole you missed. When something catches their fancy, they run with it.. and the gods be good to you if you get in their way.

I once had some Fae come up to me in what I assume was curiosity, but I have never sought them out on purpose. There was a sense of, I don't know, mutual amusement during the encounter? I was in their place more or less by accident, but in a respectful and joyful state of mind at the time. I'm one of those people, you know, I just broadcast energy when I feel good or am actively working with energy and get a lot of energies come at me in return for it. Their energy's been one of the most foreign I've felt, and yet one of those closest to/interwoven with nature at the same time. I think Froud is very correct when he states that they're on an interdimensional plane.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13   #10
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

I find the fae familiar and comfortable, personally; particularly, as I've said, the unseelie. I even spoke to Queen Maeb a few times. Entering an actual court and asking to speak to the leader of the local troop may not have been my brightest moment, but I've had good luck otherwise.

But then, I'm insane, so what else is new?

-Oscar Wilde

Voice In The Dark Blog