Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > The Earth Path

The Earth Path for those walking a Path of balance and reverence for the natural world - witchcraft with an ethical core, emphasis on personal gnosis, cultivation of wisdom, and unity of body spirit and mind

Old 05-11-12   #11
TheThing
Philanthropic Misanthrope

Default Re: all the water in the world

It didn't make me value it more either, but I've always greatly valued water, as without out it I wouldn't exist. However I can see that image to be life altering to a great many people. In school, we all learn that 7/8 of the Earth's surface is covered in water. The image of the sphere gives a way better perspective on how much water there really is. And actually, the vast majority of the sphere would be comprised of salt water, which about half of the species on this planet can't use to sustain life, including us.

A couple of other sine qua non perspectives, although I don't have any fancy pictures like VibeVoid used.

If the Earth were to be shrunk down to the size of a basketball, and you wrapped it in plastic wrap (saranwrap, cling wrap), the plastic wrap would be equivalent to the size of Earth's atmosphere.

And all the topsoil on the planet would be equivalent to an atom of that basketball.

Air, water and soil. Three things we can't live without. Three things that seem to be in abundance on this planet. But all three are actually very limited....especially given the way we use them all as toxic dumping grounds.

In many ways we're a very stunned species.

"I am an insane lunatic, and you will all do my bidding." - feranaja, pretending to be me.

When I'm posting in a moderate fashion I'll be Red in the face.
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12   #12
Fethenwen

Default Re: all the water in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThing View Post
It didn't make me value it more either, but I've always greatly valued water, as without out it I wouldn't exist. However I can see that image to be life altering to a great many people. In school, we all learn that 7/8 of the Earth's surface is covered in water. The image of the sphere gives a way better perspective on how much water there really is. And actually, the vast majority of the sphere would be comprised of salt water, which about half of the species on this planet can't use to sustain life, including us.
This exactly, it's easy to think that we have an abundance of water when we are told that 7/8 of the Earth's surface is covered in water, sounds like a lot!

Agriculture seems to be the biggest water drinker on our planet, if only we were to really revolutionize our agriculture there would not be that problem. But alas, food production today is such a short sighted business
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote