Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Enchantment > Otherkin

Old 08-11-12   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Question Vampyres, Weres/Werewolves and Lycans/shape-shifters

This subject has always been of great interest to me. For those who don't know, there are people who claim to be "real" vampires, spelling it vampyre to distinguish the difference. They claim that their chi/prana is not sustained normally and they either feed off the prana of others (psi vampyres) or they drink small amounts of blood to obtain prana (saguine vampyres). It is also a lifestyle. They dress BDSM style, live in "nests," actually sleep in coffins during the day, and even obtain plastic surgeries to appear more like the beings they claim to be (filing of the teeth or permanent fang caps are glued on, there is also the bleaching of skin).

Weres, as they call themselves, claim to actually manifest physical changes during a full moon - others claim they have an episode, so to speak, where they become manic, out of control, howl like dogs, run on all fours, and even catch and eat raw meat. The physical changes that a small portion describe are the slanting of the ears (elf ears), enlargement of muscles, the canine teeth becoming sharp and longer, etc. In the sub-culture, if the person is involved, they live in packs, run by alphas, and plan their lives around the full moon. As with the vampyres, some choose to have plastic surgery to clip their ears, file teeth or have fang caps glued on, and wear colored contacts. Weres seem to be drawn to BDSM style clothing as well.

Lycans are the third group which claim to be either full, physical shape-shifters, or therians that become instinctual and mimic the behavior the animal they identify with.

I don't know what to believe about this stuff. There is a vampyre "codex" and a were "codex." The codexes are basically manuals written by seasoned vampyres and weres on how the lifestyle works, how to obtain blood safely, eat raw meat safely, drain others of prana through psychic practice, etc. It is basically the guidebook for these supposed therians. They do refer to themselves as therians. There is one man I know who is rather famous... He's called the wolf man. He lives a solitary life in the forest with a pack of wolves, barks and howls and can communicate with the dogs fluently. He shares in the kill eating raw meat, urinates on trees to mark territory, etc. From the many interviews I've seen of him, he is not crazy. He is just living so close to nature that he's, well, the wolf man. Native Americans documented individuals who chose similar lifestyles with wolves, bears and other wild animals. This seems like the closest to a true "were" or wolf-therian that I've ever encountered (not in person but through articles and TV shows). Not to discount anyone here who is a wolf-therian. This man made a conscious decision to abandon humanity and join the wolves. That doesn't mean that you have to do that to be wolf-therian. I am dolphin-therian but I don't choose to leave humanity and swim in the ocean forever feeding on raw fish. Not meant in a critical way. In fact, I envy people who can be that close to nature, but it's just not in my personal drive to do that for myself.

So what does everyone think of these vampyre and were folks? It seems to me that it's more of a lifestyle choice than an actual therianism. They claim to be therians, but therians are based off of real animals or elemental beings. Evidence of true vampires like Dracula, in my view, are just myth. Same with werewolves. Maybe I'm wrong though? That's why I wanted to throw this topic up for debate.

Opinions? (Note: If you are a vampyre or a were, I have no intention of insulting or discrediting you, but if so, please tell us about it so we can understand it better).

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12   #2
Seraphyna
Resident Polywere

Default Re: Vampyres, Weres/Werewolves and Lycans/shape-shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOfTheTrees View Post
This subject has always been of great interest to me. For those who don't know, there are people who claim to be "real" vampires, spelling it vampyre to distinguish the difference. They claim that their chi/prana is not sustained normally and they either feed off the prana of others (psi vampyres) or they drink small amounts of blood to obtain prana (saguine vampyres). It is also a lifestyle. They dress BDSM style, live in "nests," actually sleep in coffins during the day, and even obtain plastic surgeries to appear more like the beings they claim to be (filing of the teeth or permanent fang caps are glued on, there is also the bleaching of skin).
While some people may actually do all of this, 'real vampires' as it were are people who need to drink blood and/or take in external energy in order to sustain their physical health. No 'real vampire' I know treats it as a lifestyle. Those people are termed 'lifestylers' generally and are people who are rarely actually vampires and just like the subculture. Most, if not all, people who actually require taking in external energies in some form or another do anything else. They don't dress the part, they don't bleach their skin or wear fangs, and they certainly don't sleep in coffins. I'm sure some people do, but by no means does every or even the majority of people who are actual vampires. Really, all a 'true vampire' is is a human with an energetic deficiency.

Quote:
Weres, as they call themselves, claim to actually manifest physical changes during a full moon - others claim they have an episode, so to speak, where they become manic, out of control, howl like dogs, run on all fours, and even catch and eat raw meat. The physical changes that a small portion describe are the slanting of the ears (elf ears), enlargement of muscles, the canine teeth becoming sharp and longer, etc.
Actually, 'were' is the more outdated term for 'therian' which is someone who identifies as an earthly animal on a non-physical level...either spiritually or psychologically. While they do experiences phantom shifts (phantom limbs) and mental shifts (changes in thought processes), they don't physically shapeshift or claim to (okay some trolls do as well as some people living in fantasy land) and they don't 'become manic'. Some might walk or run on all fours because it feels more natural at the time, some make noises their animal wouldr make, and some do hunt and eat raw meat. There's no full moon link, however.

Quote:
In the sub-culture, if the person is involved, they live in packs, run by alphas, and plan their lives around the full moon. As with the vampyres, some choose to have plastic surgery to clip their ears, file teeth or have fang caps glued on, and wear colored contacts. Weres seem to be drawn to BDSM style clothing as well.
I am now starting to wonder where you get your information. Some teenagers decide to have 'packs' which are really just cliques of friends with no actual concept of how wolf packs work or a 'pack' is what they refer to a group where everyone identifies as otherkin. Again, there is *no* full moon link. At all. While some do indeed wear prosthetics or take actual surgical steps to more closely resemble their animal, it is by no means something that extends to even a majority of people who identify as such. Most just collect things of that animal, wear clothing depicting it, or jewelry either of the animal or incorporating teeth and/or claws of the animal.

Quote:
Lycans are the third group which claim to be either full, physical shape-shifters, or therians that become instinctual and mimic the behavior the animal they identify with.
'Lycans' are not found outside of Hollywood except in clinical lycanthropy. The only time you'll find this term otherwise is when teenagers who identify as wolf therians use the wrong term. Clinical lycanthropy is a mental disorder where the individual thinks they are literally becoming a wolf.

Quote:
I don't know what to believe about this stuff.
I hope, then, you read my responses to everything because the information you found is so incredibly wrong.

Quote:
There is a vampyre "codex" and a were "codex." The codexes are basically manuals written by seasoned vampyres and weres on how the lifestyle works, how to obtain blood safely, eat raw meat safely, drain others of prana through psychic practice, etc.
There is a "Psychic Vampire Codex" written by Michelle Belanger (who is a psychic vampire) that covers such topics as how to feed, the ethics involved, etc. There is no 'were codex' that I'm aware of. The only non-fiction published book on any otherkin subject is Lupa's "A Field Guide to Otherkin". I'm sure you can find all sorts of nonsense on the internet, however. There are certainly crazies out there giving the rest of us a bad name.

Quote:
So what does everyone think of these vampyre and were folks? It seems to me that it's more of a lifestyle choice than an actual therianism.
I think the information you posted is complete bunk, honestly. I don't know where you found it, but I have the urge to thwap whomever wrote it. What you posted *is* a lifestyle choice and *is not* what a therian or vampire truly is. It only covers role players and posers...or misguided teenagers.

Quote:
They claim to be therians, but therians are based off of real animals or elemental beings.
Actually, therians are only people who identify with earthly animals (some argue non magical, animalistic mythical animals as well). Elemental beings and anything else not physically found on earth would technically be otherkin.

Quote:
Evidence of true vampires like Dracula, in my view, are just myth. Same with werewolves. Maybe I'm wrong though? That's why I wanted to throw this topic up for debate.
You're very right. They're myth. Blood drinking vampires do exist, but they don't have any special abilities, they just have to drink blood in some quantity in order to sustain their physical health.

Quote:
Opinions? (Note: If you are a vampyre or a were, I have no intention of insulting or discrediting you, but if so, please tell us about it so we can understand it better).
You got 'em. I identify as a therian in the earthly animal and mythological animal sense and have been a part of the online otherkin community for over 4 years, so there ya go. I don't view what you posted about vampires/weres as an insult, just very uninformed. Where did you find it anyway? Or is it what you've gathered about them?

"You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body."-C.S. Lewis
"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain."-Blue Oyster Cult
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12   #3
Fethenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphyna View Post
While some people may actually do all of this, 'real vampires' as it were are people who need to drink blood and/or take in external energy in order to sustain their physical health. No 'real vampire' I know treats it as a lifestyle. Those people are termed 'lifestylers' generally and are people who are rarely actually vampires and just like the subculture. Most, if not all, people who actually require taking in external energies in some form or another do anything else. They don't dress the part, they don't bleach their skin or wear fangs, and they certainly don't sleep in coffins. I'm sure some people do, but by no means does every or even the majority of people who are actual vampires. Really, all a 'true vampire' is is a human with an energetic deficiency.
You sure they aren't just people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome?

---

Well... my opinion is this that I don't really think any higher of vamps and werewolves in real life than furries, adult babies, brownies and all the like. I put them in the same category *shrug*
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12   #4
Seraphyna
Resident Polywere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
You sure they aren't just people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome?
I'm sure some are, just as some blood drinking vampires are probably suffering from porphyria which is why I, and a whole lot of other people, always recommend that someone who thinks they're a vampire get checked out by their family doctor *before* deciding they're a vampire to rule out medical conditions that have the same 'symptoms'.

"You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body."-C.S. Lewis
"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain."-Blue Oyster Cult
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
Seraphyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12   #5
Kokaba'al

Quote:
Weres, as they call themselves, claim to actually manifest physical changes during a full moon - others claim they have an episode, so to speak, where they become manic, out of control, howl like dogs, run on all fours, and even catch and eat raw meat. The physical changes that a small portion describe are the slanting of the ears (elf ears), enlargement of muscles, the canine teeth becoming sharp and longer, etc. In the sub-culture, if the person is involved, they live in packs, run by alphas, and plan their lives around the full moon. As with the vampyres, some choose to have plastic surgery to clip their ears, file teeth or have fang caps glued on, and wear colored contacts. Weres seem to be drawn to BDSM style clothing as well.
Back when I used to be in with the therianthrope communities, anyone who claimed to be able to achieve a physical shift would be laughed right out the door.

The rest is bollocks or part of a subculture which is a lifestyle choice, not a spiritual/mental affinity and soul-deep connection with an animal side.

The only 'were' I heard of that ever claimed to live in a pack was a psychopath who claimed to have hunted, and have killed vampires. He was pretty amusing is rather unbalanced, and sadly most of his backstory seemed to have been ripped right out of a White Wolf role-playing game.
Old 08-23-12   #6
Kokaba'al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post

Well... my opinion is this that I don't really think any higher of vamps and werewolves in real life than furries, adult babies, brownies and all the like. I put them in the same category *shrug*
Really?

My experience of therians, (and to some extent, those who find affinity with vampirism,) is that most are intensely spiritual people, or at least deeply interested in psychology.

Most spent years attempting to understand and reconcile their animal side - it wasn't just a character they could put on when they felt like it. It was a deep and essential part of their life, soul and understanding. It gave them great reverence for nature and her creatures, driving many of them to seek careers where they could attend to nature and help the creatures of the earth.

It's unhealthy to lump people together without knowing more about what drives their spirits, you know...
Old 08-23-12   #7
Fethenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaba'al View Post
Really?

My experience of therians, (and to some extent, those who find affinity with vampirism,) is that most are intensely spiritual people, or at least deeply interested in psychology.

Most spent years attempting to understand and reconcile their animal side - it wasn't just a character they could put on when they felt like it. It was a deep and essential part of their life, soul and understanding. It gave them great reverence for nature and her creatures, driving many of them to seek careers where they could attend to nature and help the creatures of the earth.

It's unhealthy to lump people together without knowing more about what drives their spirits, you know...
Yeah, guess so. Interesting point of view.

So... maybe furries also are attempting to understand and reconcile their animal side? lol, ok I could not restist
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12   #8
Kokaba'al

The focus with furries is the creation of 'fursonas', characters to role-play with - the key word being 'create', often with furries having multiple characters they play with. Another huge focus of the community is the arts and crafts side, and making their characters unique, making them stand out from everyone else's character. For therians, there's no creation of an avatar - it's a reflection of an inner part of the self, one that cannot be adjusted or refashioned to suit ones current interests. It's a lot closer to a personal totem, though many would say it is not exactly like a totem animal - but the similarity helps some people understand.

Also, furries are almost always presented as animals with humanoid features (bipedal, clothed, accessories etc), while for therians it's the animal energy which is important, not how it looks.

Last edited by Kokaba'al; 08-23-12 at 05:06 PM. Reason: can't type
Kokaba'al is offline   Reply With Quote