Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

Old 07-18-10   #1
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Christian Mythology-The Virgin Birth

The Virgin Birth of Jesus is central to a lot of Christian theology, beliefs and practices, but it is not believed or interpreted the same way by all Christians. The motif of a "Virgin Birth" is not unique to Christianity and can be found in many pre-Christian and Pagan traditions. So what is the myth of the Virgin Birth about generally and in what way is the Christian version different or unique?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10   #2
PrincessKLS

Default Re: Christian Mythology-The Virgin Birth

I personally don't think Mary was a virgin and if she did have a virgin birth with Jesus, he had 7 younger siblings, so Mary couldn't have a perpetual virginity status technically but no one cares about Jesus' siblings, for some reasons he's made out to be like an only child.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10   #3
nyteshaed

The virgin birth is a sign of divine parentage. The Christian occurance of it is different than most in a couple ways, for one, Mary was not impregnated by JHVH, despite Jesus being his son, she was impregnated by the Angel Gabriel. For another her son was accepted by her fiance, usually the virgin mother's husband or fiance attempts to kill the child.
nyteshaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10   #4
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyteshaed View Post
, she was impregnated by the Angel Gabriel.
Technically, according to tradition, I don't think she was impregnated at all. The Angel Gabriel announced the birth but according to the myth it was The Holy Spirit who created the child within her.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10   #5
The Black Elf

The bible tells us that she rode Joseph's ass all the way to Bethlehem?

The rest centre's around constellarion Virgo,including Bethlehem(bread/ear of corn)

I LOVE THE NATIVITY!
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10   #6
nyteshaed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Technically, according to tradition, I don't think she was impregnated at all. The Angel Gabriel announced the birth but according to the myth it was The Holy Spirit who created the child within her.

You are saying the holy spirit impregnated her, because she was impregnated, otherwise she wouldn't have been pregnant, what she wasn't was copulated with. Which a lot of the other virgin births (especially in the Greek stories) were
nyteshaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10   #7
Lilith
Of The Void

I have read somewhere that Mary was an Essene virgin priestess and was chosen to carry the Messiah, that was predicted by the tradition to be conceived on a specific astrological event, which was then performed in a ritualistic fashion, where the seed of the High Priest (embodiment of God) was collected into a bull's horn and used to impregnate the virgin Mary. Hence the symbol of the Gabriel who is the archangel guardian of the conception, gestation and birth, holding the horn of fertility...
Old 07-19-10   #8
feranaja

katia that's very interesting. Can you recall your source for that?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10   #9
Lilith
Of The Void

Well it was mentioned in the Ladder of Lights for sure, in the Yesod section, but also somewhere else, I'll try to remember. I am sure Mr Cheese will know.
Old 07-19-10   #10
Luna

I've read, and cannot find again at the moment, that the meaning of the word "virgin" at the time of Jesus' birth did not mean a female who had never been touched by a penis. It meant a free woman, one who was not bethrothed or married or bound to a man in any way. They didn't have the Victorian sensibilities which meant that a woman who had sex was somehow unclean. Bethrothed couples often jumped the gun and jumped into bed together. It's entirely possible that since Mary and Joesph were already bethrothed that they had been intimate and that the Holy Spirit entered her and inhabited the fetus that was already implanted. That's one theory based on historical and sociological interpretation.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote