Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > The Sacred Grove

The Sacred Grove A forum for discussing Druidry, in all its many expressions and forms

Old 10-05-13   #1
feranaja

Default Deepening our Tree Knowledge

As I move through the OBOD work and continue with my herbalist studies and practise, I am so much enjoying the tree lore (medicine and magic). Many of the Ogham trees are already integral to my herbal work (birch, hawthorn, aspen, elder,apple, willow, alder and oak) - I use them in teas, tinctures, oils and salves, and other means of delivery(honeys/elixirs/oxymels,)...and now I've gathered more esoteric knowledge on many...getting to know some I was less familiar with, such as the Ash..this aspect of Druidry is possibly my favorite. If anyone is looking to learn more abut the medicinal aspects of these trees, I will be blogging on them all,and I have a great list of resources for you as well.

But even beyond the lore and the medicine, how can we deepen our relationship? This is the point where knowledge and spirit meet; for me, the process of deepening involves learning the science of each tree - it's family/genus, lifespan, what it thrives in, which birds and animals feed from it and more - with the personal, shamanic connection one can only cultivate, experience and comprehend on one's own. (Although there are many wonderful guides for those not sure how to start).

And of course, we can make tools! Over the past few years, I have made various tools (wands, staves, a stang, a shield and now Ogham disks) from a variety of local woods - apple, willow, birch and oak , with my wonderful pine stang as a gift from an ally. Recently I decided I wanted to make more wands, and I found this amazing book(which as soon as I tear myself away from the keyboard am going to wrap up in my favorite shawl and read! I hope the insight I gain from it's pages will inform my quest for deepening my relationship with all the trees surrounding me here in the forest of Quebec.
Amazon Amazon

Here is Alferion's site (I am hoping to have him make me an athame later on, when finances are flowing): http://bardwood.com/lore.html

How are you working with trees - medicine and magic? What has deepened your knowlegde and understanding? I'd liek to have this thread encompass all kinds of tree resurces, so plaase share, and I will too. <3

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-13   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Deepening our Tree Knowledge

http://forestry.about.com/od/hardwoo...od_list.06.htm

One site that helps with ID, for those new to the topic.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-06-13   #3
Maikan

Location: On a wild mountain side above an emerald valley talking with the ancestors and a herd of horses

I worked years ago as a Ranger so spent a lot of time with trees of all kinds, mostly trying to save damaged ones from disease or damage done by people. One day I'd just eaten my lunch n was sitting high up in a trees branches, that I was working on it was a magnificent oak tree many century's old but for some reason it wasn't thriving. (I was still wearing my safety harness & had my tools with me).

Anyway I fell into a half kind of sleep as it was a warm day, I ended up going on an interesting journey with that tree like I was an insect inside it. I learn't in that journey that there was a piece of metal railing from many years before stuck inside one part of a main branch high up off the ground where it couldn't be seen. I can only say that the tree showed me its location and seemed to want it removed.

So when I came back to I went to the place that was shown it was about 40ft off the ground and sure enough there was a large piece of metal railing in that tree and the branch was dying. I removed both the branch and the metal railing , left an offering to the tree as is common with my people and wished its spirit well. Years later I went back & that tree is still there healthy and strong.

Would it have survived if Id left that branch & metal in place? Personally I don't think so but hey who am I to say. What I can say is from that day onwards I always took time out to get to know the trees I worked with in that job and still to this day I go and hang out with them when I get the chance. You can learn a lot by doing so.

Maikan

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it..... They live it......!

Last edited by Maikan; 10-06-13 at 03:43 AM. Reason: more typo's
Maikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13   #4
feranaja

That is really beautiful MAikan, what an amzing experience.

I've connected with several of the trees here on my bit of property - first and foremost the trembling aspen, who is among my dearest of allies. I believe she took several hits aimed at me from various enemy attackers - aspen is the shield. And the silver maple here has touched my heart in many unexpected ways, with a great tenderness and affection for those who care for her. It's so critically important to balance our learning about trees with direct, unmediated metaphysical contact.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-06-13   #5
somnium

I have had an amazing experience with trees. Once I was wood working, carving from a piece of wood a phoenix. I was using a hatchet. I walked away form my work area and proceeded towards a great and large tree. I suddenly got an impulse inside of me, a thought that came from outside of myself. It said do not hurt me. I wondered who and what could have been saying this to me. As I approached the other side of the tree I saw the reason. There were several axe marks in the side of the tree. The tree had asked me not to harm it. I immediately felt empathy for the tree's plea, and told the tree that I would not hurt her. That experience taught me that trees see and think, have consciousness and can communicate when they want to.
somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13   #6
Maikan

Location: On a wild mountain side above an emerald valley talking with the ancestors and a herd of horses

Agreed they sure can communicate when they want to. I now work with a lot of tree medicine often I'm out looking for something to help what I'm working with at that time n I pick up something related to the tree that I should be working with. So I go find that tree, ask to work with its energy,then thank it & leave an offering. It sure seems to be working.

Maikan

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it..... They live it......!
Maikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15   #7
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I am deciding which tree I want to make my staff from.
I need to take it from a live tree, which is tricky in the woods, since its illegal.

This site has the tree meanings: I at first thought Oak, then Elm, now I am thinking Apple.
http://www.universeofsymbolism.com/tree-symbolism.html

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15   #8
feranaja

I take almost all my wood from fallen branches. Of course, you need to use the tree that speaks to you - but if you have to cut something, be sure to meditate and ask permission, and leave a gift, as per the Silver Bough. Otherwise I would seek what you feel called to, but accept what you are given.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-14-15   #9
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Yes, I made my bough from our baby apple tree last year, but she is still too young for the staff. This needs to be from a mature tree. I will respectively ask permission, and leave a gift...for my bough I had cider Ale...I think she really liked it I thought about a branch on the ground, but this lesson specifically wants us to take it from a living tree. I think since its winter, the energy is in the roots...I will feel better about asking it.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15   #10
feranaja

When I made my staff, Yellow Birch offered me more branches than I could handle. I hope you find what you need, too.

Shane Parrish