Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

Old 10-30-10   #1
Oazaki

Default What does 666 mean?

Sorry, couldn't resist the synchronicity. I posted it here as I am sure the combination has some meaning and relevance in and of itself, that is to say independently of the Christian mythos with which it is traditionally associated.

So, what does it mean? What are its layers of meaning, and which systems do these relate to? Why was it used in the position in which it was used within the Christian mythos? How does it relate to 616? Etc...

All answers and speculations welcomed

all the best,
Oazaki.

My ambition? Restart Temple of Venus as one of the mainstream religions of this planet, bigger than Islam for example.

Closed circuit induction loops: you sow, you reap. Not open to those with no Principles. "Unless you always have the potential within, the Great Function will not appear." -
Yagyū Munenori.

Oazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10   #2
The Black Elf

Default Re: What does 666 mean?

When we get a new Pole Star,the eye of the great beast sperconstellation Draconis.

666 is the angle which the earth's allignment shall be if nature has it's way over human nature.

a telescope is at a 90 degree angle to the earths surface-plumb.

to account for the earths axis or tilt you have to angle it at 23.34 degree's,then your telescope faces exactly where the earth is going.

90 - 23.34 = 66.66666666666666666666666666666666666 etc degree's

the 23.34 is heading towards 23.4 which will be exactly 66.6 degree's.

Maybe have some impact upon the 12 days of christmas where the sun atays stiill for 12 days then we start moving back around it heading for solstace.

Best I can do Oaz.

*as the beast slopes off to Bethlehem(Virgo) to be born* mu-hahahahahahaha

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden

Last edited by The Black Elf; 10-30-10 at 03:04 PM.
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10   #3
petrus4
Leaper

It's a number from Jewish numerology. The Hebrew alphabet apparently is a system where each letter corresponds with a given number. It's a shame Blackwolf isn't around for this question, since numerology is his modality of choice.

I don't know more about it than that, but I did know a Jewish family once, the husband of which apparently had some numerological skill. His wife told me that he tried to check it out once, and apparently some extremely negative meanings came back. My guess is that it is the signature or representation of some extremely negative energetic complex, of some type.

As Black Elf says, draconic/reptilian symbolism is very big in any representation of primordial evil that you see, and even sometimes associated with positive elements as well. David Icke of course believes that that ties in with his belief about humanity having been infiltrated by a race of reptilian extraterrestrials. Most people are going to consider that schizophrenic, but it is genuinely interesting how frequently you do find serpentine/reptilian imagery repeating across cultures; particularly in a strongly negative context.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10   #4
Darth Brooks
What Would Typhon Do?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbe...edirected=true

I don't normally cite Wikipedia but this article pretty much covers it.

666 was originally a gematria code for Nero redivuus, which refers to the early (pre-Catholic) belief that the Roman Emperor Nero would one day come back from the dead, indwelt by Satan, and launch a final persecution of Christians that would eclipse all previous persecutions at that time, and which would only be stopped by the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. This persecution would begin when the undead Nero forced all citizens to accept his mark as a sign of loyalty to the Roman cult of the emperors, which Christians of course would refuse to accept. And in so doing it would be quite clear who they were. The whole thing originated from Christian fears of imperial persecution and was essentially a way of interpreting that persecution as meaningful by fitting it within a precise eschatogical scheme. Of course, Nero never came back and eventually Rome adopted Christianity as the state religion. But a good myth never dies, so as Christianity changed, so was the concept of the Great Beast 666 adapted to express different social, cultural, and political fears within different eschatological frameworks.
Old 10-31-10   #5
Oazaki

Interesting approaches all. My own personal take has to do with the idea of Dominance.

This is a useful conceptual tool which I find can be applied much like Occam's razor to disambiguate the meaning in instances where there are a large number of competing explanations and numerological systems.

That is from the guildhall in Florence and the inscription reads: 'Rex regum and Dominus Dominantium'. Translated quite inaccurately it would come out as: 'Kings king and God dominates'. It would more properly be translated as 'King of Kings and Lord of Lords', of course. You get the general idea I am trying to convey as to the 'inner sense' of the Latin though I hope .

What dominates the number '6', therefore? To my estimation, especially given the religious field, it would be Sacred Geometry. This is on account of the fact that all sacred geometry is based on the Flower of Life, which is a basic design of six petals:

Being the basis of sacred geometry, this pattern is the underlying foundation of all sacred architecture, no matter the religious tradition, whether it be islam, Christianity or even Buddhism.

As to the meaning of the flower of life, it is said to be how Spirit moves. Namely geometrically and in circles. Whether that is true of not is a subject which may likely be open to quite a lot of debate at some point in the future but what is undeniable is that every religious tradition on the planet has seen fit to base their Temple or other holy place architecture on the damn thing. Thus, they must both approve of it ethically and also see some significance to it esoterically and mystically.

If we were to put three Flower of Life patterns together, in some combination, then we would in the simplest interpretation possible have 'Three Spirits Moving'. And that is surprisingly similar to the idea of a Triune Godhead.

Given, that is, that the 6 is dominated by the flower of life. It may be dominated by something else, of course. But given that it is God's inherent nature to dominate - His Will be done, etc - and that the flower of life signifies and represents Spirit (that part of God within us, and perhaps also all living things) then we come to the logical conclusion that '666' represents the deity himself.

It is quite a Gnostic conclusion and I am quite pleased with it. It would also make sense in that God would not put His son through such great suffering (as being crucified) if He did not intend to go through much worse Himself later, ie by being the target in Revelations.

Alternatively, it could simply be three Spirits moving in consort of their own accord. For example, in opposition to the deity of the bible. In such an instance, which of the two would dominate?

This also brings to the table the idea of whether competition is a good thing, to be encouraged in most if not all spheres. In such an instance I would suggest the insights derived be applied to the economic sphere.

At any rate I do not think we should be afraid of numbers. And nor should other people, though they may be afraid of what those numbers represent, or judgmental of them or aggressive towards them, should they desire to structure their personal beliefs in such a way. However, in such an instance, they should also bear in mind that they may be fighting and judging their own deity for:

The Lord is a man of war - Exodus 15:3

And deception and image management are both central aspects of warfare.

Maybe he is teaching them about arrogance and non-judgmentalness, for example. Oh and to study logic and the world around them too, perhaps.

all the best,
Oazaki.

My ambition? Restart Temple of Venus as one of the mainstream religions of this planet, bigger than Islam for example.

Closed circuit induction loops: you sow, you reap. Not open to those with no Principles. "Unless you always have the potential within, the Great Function will not appear." -
Yagyū Munenori.

Oazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10   #6
mr cheese
Chthonic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbe...edirected=true

I don't normally cite Wikipedia but this article pretty much covers it.

666 was originally a gematria code for Nero redivuus, which refers to the early (pre-Catholic) belief that the Roman Emperor Nero would one day come back from the dead, indwelt by Satan, and launch a final persecution of Christians that would eclipse all previous persecutions at that time, and which would only be stopped by the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. This persecution would begin when the undead Nero forced all citizens to accept his mark as a sign of loyalty to the Roman cult of the emperors, which Christians of course would refuse to accept. And in so doing it would be quite clear who they were. The whole thing originated from Christian fears of imperial persecution and was essentially a way of interpreting that persecution as meaningful by fitting it within a precise eschatogical scheme. Of course, Nero never came back and eventually Rome adopted Christianity as the state religion. But a good myth never dies, so as Christianity changed, so was the concept of the Great Beast 666 adapted to express different social, cultural, and political fears within different eschatological frameworks.
actually this theory is from the seminal pagan book the White Goddess by Graves.... it has no basis in fact whatsoever...graves made such a convincing argument however, that this "truth" has been passed on for decades ever since....

as we all know, am sure, graves' book was a key factor in the "invention" of modern paganism.....

The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth

"He," I answered, "who loves to contemplate truth…who is able to arrive at whatever remains ever constant. He who is capable of seeing the Whole is a philosopher; he who is not, is not."

Plato (Republic, V, 475; VI, 481-485)

mr cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10   #7
Darth Brooks
What Would Typhon Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cheese View Post
actually this theory is from the seminal pagan book the White Goddess by Graves.... it has no basis in fact whatsoever...graves made such a convincing argument however, that this "truth" has been passed on for decades ever since....

as we all know, am sure, graves' book was a key factor in the "invention" of modern paganism.....

The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth
Actually you're quite incorrect Mr. Cheese. This explanation did not originate from Graves but is a proven fact accepted by most Christian scholars and historians. I invite you to consult the book Antichrist: 2000 Years of the Human Fascination With Evil by Bernard McGinn, a professor of historical theology and history of Christianity at the University of Chicago, pages 45 through 54. Though you may wish to consult the entire second and third chapters to gain an appreciation for the full context of early Antichrist beliefs and their obvious influence by Nero.

When it comes to Antichrist and the number 666 I go directly to the source tradition - early Christianity - for the facts, and I'll sooner accept accurate information from a trained Christian historian than from anyone else. I do not consider Graves' work much good for anything in this regard. So no, and I will repeat, this idea does not come from Graves - but it's probably one of the only correct statements to be found in his book.
Old 10-31-10   #8
Vindictus
Serpent King

Eh, I'd always assumed it was a menacing countdown in the roman numeral system and that it just got passed along to christianity through that source. DCLXVI is a lowering series of integers, including every different letter worth 500 or lower at least once.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote