Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

Old 05-22-12   #11
PrincessKLS

Default Re: Can Your gods / goddesses die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I see the Gods primarily as archetypes and as such I don't think they can ever die as long as what they represent exists. Having said that, I don't think all Gods are the same. Some may be (or may be based on) historical figures while others emerge from mythology. Then within the mythology of some Gods there is the belief that they have overcome physical death and thus they must have the ability to die physically although because they are Gods, death does not have the same hold on them that it does for lesser mortals.

I don't know where you got that idea from. I think most Christians and most Christian theology does indeed regard Jesus as God, albeit part of a three in one Godhead.
That's what I saying that Christians do revere Jesus as their god, but technically, even according to parts of the bible, you shouldn't, he's technically just a prophet, in a sense not much different than Moses or Elijah in the old testaments.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12   #12
HeatherCalluna

Just out of curiosity Princess--can you give me some of those instances in the Bible?? I was talking to a friend about that just the other day and she couldn't tell me where it could be found and I was hoping you or someone else on the forum had an example when I saw your post.
You created the creation; You behold it and understand it.
With each and every breath, I dwell upon You; I shall never forget You.
HeatherCalluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12   #13
David_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKLS View Post
That's what I saying that Christians do revere Jesus as their god, but technically, even according to parts of the bible, you shouldn't, he's technically just a prophet, in a sense not much different than Moses or Elijah in the old testaments.
Technically, in Christianity, Jesus is seen as more than just a Prophet, he's seen as a manifestation or incarnation of God, so, that worshiping him is not worshiping something other than God, but, God him/her/itself.

Muslims and certain Jews see him as a Prophet (as well as Ba'Hai as well, I believe).

As for Gods and Goddesses dying, in my own beliefs, I believe the Gods can be killed, but, not in the same sense as humans, for example, when humans die, it's, usually, final - we go on to one of the many spiritual realms there are, depending on the Path we followed, but, for Gods, in my view, they may be "dead", but, they're still, in some way, active.

The best way, I can describe my view of Gods and death, is from Angel Season 5, where they show the "Deeper Well", where "dead" Old Ones (or Demon Gods) go - how they explained what "death" is for the Old Ones is pretty much how I view "death" for the Gods as well.

Hope that made some kind of sense anyway.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12   #14
Iret

Yes and no. Yes, because gods like Ra die at sunset, but most are reborn either with the morning or "reborn" in the afterlife.
Old 05-23-12   #15
DonelleBeira

Quote:
Based on my teachings in Christianity, Jesus is much more than a prophet like Elijah - He is the Son of God, part of the triad of God the Father, Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit. One cannot exist without the other; they are one and the same yet separate at the same time. Jesus is the embodiment of the prophecies of those like Elijah, Daniel, Jeremiah and Ezekiel to name a few. He is seen as the living proof of those prophesies, not another prophet in the ranks. He came to teach, not prophesy about His own coming as did the prophets of the Old Testament.

Christ was the fulfillment of those prophecies, so in much of Christianity, the need for prophecy ended with Christ's birth.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12   #16
PrincessKLS

Yeah I get the trinity idea but I've also heard an argument before that God and Jesus are actually seperate. I tend to think so anyway.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12   #17
DonelleBeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
One cannot exist without the other; they are one and the same yet separate at the same time.
Exactly -

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12   #18
ffetcher

Quote:
Yeah I get the trinity idea but I've also heard an argument before that God and Jesus are actually seperate. I tend to think so anyway.
Okay, to start by being on topic (a rare one for me) my own Lord and Lady will die only when the last belief in them dies. It's a bit like being a lifelong supporter of Edinburgh Gunners. My gran had a key to the original gorund, which I still treasure although they no longer play there. My mum dated one of their flankers until he died in the war flying over North Africa. I can go to Cardiff and shout for the Gunners in a pub, and if I explain, someone will buy me a drink. They'll never beat Cardiff (unless a sugar-daddy buys the whole team) but they'll never die unless there are no more supporters and the team dies away.

But the thread has kind of got off theme, and for once it's not my fault. I used to teach Sunday School.

Whether Jesus was divine (and then not susceptible to mortality) or divine, depends on which bit of Christianity you believe/come from. According to the remaining records, the very earliest Christians saw him as a leader who had fulfilled the prophesies and was therefore the Messiah. Regardless of the level of spin, the surviving documents suggest that he was seen as mortal. I can't make a comment there, really.

John, 1, in the original, uses the feminine ending for "the Word". I just thought I'd throw that in, because it's relevant to the dispute over "the creeds".

In the 320s (I'll use AD because I'm familiar with the tags) the Council of Nicea suggested that he was 'the son of God', and a later council of Nicea ruled that he was divine by a vote of five to two. A divine Jesus cannot die, by their standards. I gave a tee to my regular fiddler with a clock-face set to 13:55 and the council's name where the clockmaker's name would have been. She laughed, danced into the ladies' and changed into it for the second half. No-one else has ever professed to understand.

In the 380s or 390s, the creed changed to make it clear that Jesus was divine. In the early 400s, a council in Ephesus (great place to visit if you're into a meeting of religions) 're-affirmed' the earlier Nicene version.

So Jesus is either divine, incarnate, or two aspects of the different points of view at the same time. The diversity is as much geographical as it is chronological. Those Copts[1] I've talked to stick with the latter: part of the Trinity, some of which may or may not be female depending on my understanding of word endings, was 'incarnate' (made into meat) so that he/she/it could emulate the ultimate sacrifice and then return to the three-fold god-head. Or the unity. Or...

blessings
ffetcher

[1] caveat: my French is rather better than my Egyptian Arabic, and many of the words aren't stuff you learn from books, so we talk together better after a couple of drinkies.
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote