Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

View Poll Results: What beastie should I post?
Hydra 0 0%
Gorgon 1 2.86%
Kitsune 11 31.43%
Wraith 3 8.57%
Dragon 6 17.14%
Faerie 5 14.29%
Tanuki 5 14.29%
Infernal 2 5.71%
Celestial 0 0%
Something Else 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-10   #21
Vindictus
Serpent King

Default Re: The Beastiary-

Wow, I thought this thread had died a horrible death a long time ago...

Anyway, looking at it now, this thread group would probably go better in the tutorials subgroup than the mythology one. So any new threads I post off of it will go there.

Stevie, as to the creatures you didn't know about, I'll probably post a thread for them soon but here's a quick overview-

Hydra- Basically, it's a sort of giant multi-headed snake creature from greek mythology. It is a water elemental from what I understand, and I'd thought it was pretty well known as it's in one of the more famous greek myths, namely that of Heracles.

A wraith is pretty much a type of undead, most aptly [and quickly] described as a blend between a ghost and a lich.

A Tanuki is a japanese animal spirit fairly closely associated with Kitsune, mainly because they seem to have similar powers and such I suppose.

Has a Workout Blog now.

Last edited by Vindictus; 01-15-10 at 11:25 AM.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10   #22
StevieHummingbird
Indescribable(<3)

Lightdragon...

Yes, I remember about the hydra, but didn't know what it was called.

Uh, still don't get the wraith part but sounds, unimportant? Nah, just a bit uninteresting.

Oh, okay, I will have to look more on that one, sounds kinda interesting, I had first thought it was some kinda shapeshifter.

Thanx, appreciate it. Though, I have already looked up two of them after I didn't know what it was

"I don't believe in guilt, I believe in living on impulse as long as you never intentionally hurt another person,
and don't judge people in your life. I think you should live completely free."
((Angelina Jolie))

StevieHummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10   #23
Vindictus
Serpent King

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieHummingbird View Post
Oh, okay, I will have to look more on that one, sounds kinda interesting, I had first thought it was some kinda shapeshifter.
It is... I think? Been a while since I did much research into them, but that was one of the abilities that Tanuki and Kitsune share from what I understood.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Old 01-16-10   #24
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieHummingbird View Post
Lightdragon...
Hydra, though I figure it has something to do with water, Wraith, and Tanuki, which I just spelled twenty different wrong ways Though I have an idea on the last one.
yeah as Vindictus said" it's basically, it's a sort of giant multi-headed snake creature from greek mythology. " and like Vindictus said it came from Greek mythology. actually it was called the Lernaen Hydra .it was basically a guardian to one of the entrances to the underworld. and one of the labors of Hercules(Herakles). it's breath was so deadly that anyone who breathed it in would die.it would depend on who classified it as to wether it's a form of water snake or water dragon.

A wraith is in D&D terms is like what Vindictus said " a type of undead, most aptly [and quickly] described as a blend between a ghost and a lich."
also other modern fantasy literature reguard it as an evil and/or dangerous being. a good example was in Tolkiens"wringwraiths" or the movie "The Wraith "(1986)

in real legends it was a Scottish term for ghost. also confused with messengers of death which were black robed and skeletal in appearence.
in 18th to 19th centuries it was also concerned with water spirits.again with Scotland.

also it can also mean the image of a living person just before they die.

A Tanuki has both a Japanese folklore and a real life animal. the animal is often refered to as a Japenese Racoon dog. the folklore . It was depicted as having a large belly,a cone shaped hat,bottles of liquor in one hand and an empty purse in the other hand and themost obvious is the huge testicles which hang to the ground. in some cases they use it as a form of drums or will carry them over their backs like two sacks. In modern sculptures the large testicles is ommitted. Tanuki were practical jokers of either malicious or harmless pranks and were also known for their shapeshifting.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10   #25
Habilus

Dragon FTW....

and BTW,you CAN touch them if they let you,same goes for elves....

<----OMG Elf toucher ITH!!
Old 01-29-10   #26
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

The Hydra is also well known as the guardain of the Golden Fleece in the Jason saga. Hercules' Hyrda was a bit different in that each head had to be burnt once chopped off or two would grow in its place. Yet initially it was a singular headed monster when he first encountered it in some fables.

Most stories I am aware of though place the Hydra as a sub-category of the Dragonic family of beasts. Though being Greek in origin it would fall more into the realm of Earth than water.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10   #27
Vindictus
Serpent King

Really? Earth?

I'd think it's symbology would be more liquid in nature due to how it reacts to Heracles' chopping it's heads off. Earth doesn't grow back when you hit it with a sword, but water divides when you part it. Also, fire is the opposing element of water, not earth.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Old 01-29-10   #28
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Ah but the problem is that draconic imagery in the West is tied to Fire and Earth where in the East it is tied to Water and Air. Especially when you look to the fables and myths of the Western Draconic creature's living in the depths of the earth, deep caverns, down wells, etc. That and the association of the heat of the draconic creature and even the later stories of needing heavy metals to rest upon as the heat did not destroy the item.
Old 01-29-10   #29
Vindictus
Serpent King

Ah, but that is stereotyping western mythology as all one group, when it isn't. I'm not sure, but I thought the earth/fire thing was an anglo/saxon thing, not a greco/roman one. Also, unless I am mistaken, the association of hydra being a type of dragon is fairly recent.

I'm going to have to leave now, but I would like to continue the debate another time. Caio.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Old 01-29-10   #30
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I think part of the issue is the use of the word "Draco" or "Drakon" for in some instances it referes to a Serpent in other's to a Dragon. The Hydra is refered to as both in different histories and saga's from Greek litrature. In a few points it is even refered to a the dog monster in reference to the similarities to Cerebus and his guarding the entrance to the underworld and his many heads while the Hydra guards one that lies beneath the water. Even that varies for the Hydra as it is listed as having from 1 to hundreds though 9 seems to be the most accepted number.

It is a swamp creature in most stories but I think there is some confusion with it and the dragon that guards the golden fleece. Media calls forth the hydra's heads and those of other serpents but also speaks of the dragon itself.

http://www.theoi.com/Ther/DrakonHydra.html

Truthfully I am not certain which sphere it would fall under. Water if a serpent, earth if a dragon. It definately is a cthonic creature so that might be the main thing as cthonic is equated to Earth or htings beneath the surface of the Earth.

However if you look up water serpent under theoi com is indicates it is one of the four types of dragons in Greek lore

http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/dragons.html

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 01-29-10 at 07:46 PM.