Go Back   EarthSong Forums > ThinkTank > Mythology

Mythology All aspects of world mythologies, ancient and modern

Old 09-16-10   #31
oonagh sidhe

Default Re: Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Ah but it was only used to the extent of agreeing and showing other fossilized bones that were infact used to create a creature. The cyclops is pretty certain to have come from the findings of mastadon / mammoth skulls on an island. I am not aware of any creature that is attributed directly to dinosaur bones as the source of thier origin.

The various styles and body shapes of the Draconic images are so varried from local to local one can not point to dionosaur bones and say this is where it came from.

okay
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10   #32
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberskys View Post
some dinosaurs could fly. left fossils of huge bat-like wings and everything.
Oh I am quite aware of that. I am also aware of the relative infrequent finding of such creatures of that scale. Yes large dragon flies and other giganic insects are pretty common but the actually grand scale of flying dinosaurs are more infrequent in discovery.

But we also know of survivors of gigantic size that could equally be seen. Some have mussed on the giant ROC, others on the giant condor's that may have given rise to stories of the thunderbird and such in the America's.

The sad part is there are so few known's in comparrisons to the speculated many that it's hard to say for sure what was there. Yet I like to think of our own sciences. Sciences that for decades placed the head of a brachasauris on the body of a brontosaurs because so many bones beds are littered with the remains of many species and sub-species.
Old 10-14-10   #33
Lightdragon
pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
While that is true of the cyclops, mastadon or mammoth heads if I recall correctly that's not exaclty true of how they evolved in the orient. If anything it was more a compilation of different stories or fragments brough back from other places, many times of encounters with unknnown species that became clumped together. Hense many having a camels head, a lions body, etc.
I alway thought dragons evolved from snakes. well at least in western countries.

not familar with Eastern origins.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-10   #34
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
I alway thought dragons evolved from snakes. well at least in western countries.

not familar with Eastern origins.
You know I've read so many different thoughs that its really hard to say. I know the Worm form was associated to snakes for sure but not competely sure about the winged version or the sea monster version. I do admit part of the issue arrises from the many forms that the Dragon is identified under through out the world.

I've read a few accounts that seem to paint a dinosaur survivor as some of the originating stories of Dragons. Other's attributed to fossilized bones that were found through the Medeterian and Near East area's of the ancient world in some instances but I am not sure just how current that concept actually is. Other's atributed to travelers and their stories with a possibility of ancesteral memories such as the Cobra and its hood which was brough back that might have given rise to the flying serpent.
Old 10-14-10   #35
Lightdragon
pagan

well going through various tales of dragons in western medieval literature dragons were interchangable with the devil or demons. like making deals with humans. Also with ancient middle eastern mythologies. and with the later dragons were sometimes interchangable with some form of bird or demon.

another tale has one girl find a baby one in the wild. she cares for it initialy but her parents tell her to kill it. she hides it. soon as it grows it will not harm her but other people it will harm. offhand the story does mention it was colored green.

also there were tales where the dragon was a creation of a wolf and an eagle. The dragon Smaug from the animated "The Hobbit" does have a possiblity of being influenced by that. now this would actually help with the dinosaur theory as it was proven that some or all dinosaurs had some form of hair like or feather coverings. especialy dinosaurs such as Velociraptor and possibly tyranosaurus.

Old 02-10-11   #36
Lightdragon
pagan

and this link page to a small documentary links them with whales. also with the aid of Green Peace. it might have haulted the slaughter of whales from Japan.

http://marduk.petroskoutoupis.com/?thumb=1