Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > The Gardening Forum

The Gardening Forum Indoor and outdoor gardening - vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers - any topic related to growing, using, preserving plants

Old 07-09-12   #1
DonelleBeira

Default Crepe Myrtle - Banaba

Since I seem to have an abundance of this available, I need to learn how to use it. HRH, you mentioned harvesting yours. Would you, or anyone, tell me exactly how to go about that? Exactly. As in when, where, how to cut; how to dry or preserve; step by baby step...as in "put your left foot right here, lean just so, raise your right arm..."

This link has some pics of the plants next to the house - there are also literally 100's of baby ones all over the park, from 2 - 6" tall. So this should help those who know tell me what to do...ok!

Thanks!

http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/x...%20-%20Banaba/

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12   #2
HRH
Just me

Default Re: Crepe Myrtle - Banaba

Way to call me out! I'm a "sense it and do it" type who just experiments and keeps the successful ones. And, I'm more in charge of growing the plants, less in charge of the medicines and such. My cousin is the healer, I just take him the plants, usually. I'll tell you what I can, and you can use that to ask questions of those more knowledgeable than me. I can make some calls and find out more, too. When I spoke of harvesting the flowers, I was making potpourri, because the tree was getting top-heavy, and needed trimming!

I always try to use everything I cut, though, so I do know that you can make tea from the leaves. I use it for my ultra-sensitive skin. As to exactly how...I trim the branches that need trimming, then strip the leaves off of it. I put them in a pot and cover with water. I bring the water to a boil, and then turn it down and let it simmer for about thirty minutes. Strain it and use it for a face wash when it's cool. If I'm just using the leaves for this, I use the stems for other things, from dreamcatchers to arts and crafts.

If my face is breaking out, I will use the stems and the leaves. I chop them up, cover them with a lot of cold water, and let them set in the water overnight. Then, in the morning, turn it on and slowly bring to a boil. Let it simmer for thirty minutes, strain, and it is wonderful for acne.

I was advised to use the flowers and seeds combined with cane sugar and lemon juice to make a facial peel. Just put equal parts sugar and flowers in a bowl, and add lemon juice until it's a thick paste. Apply to face and let dry for fifteen minutes. I do not recommend this, AT ALL, unless you have the lighter colored flowers. Mine are dark pink, and stain very badly. Any reasonably intelligent human would've noticed this before applying it to said face, as the flowers stain hands badly, but alas, I'm an idiot.

My cousin swears by it as a diuretic, but it's a natural insulin, so I don't use it internally. He makes a weaker tea, by just boiling the water and steeping the leaves for fifteen minutes, adding honey for flavor.

Everyone in my family has a staff of crape myrtle. There were several trees that had to be cut down on my brother's property, so in order to ensure they didn't go to waste, we used them for wands and staffs. We also made some other tools and items from the wood, being the type of family that hates to kill living creatures without a really good reason. I love the energy they have.

I know there are medicines made using the inner bark and roots, but I haven't personally done it. It would hurt my trees, and...I'm not that sick! I've read claims that the roots cure everything, but I don't personally know. I generally use cuttings that boost the plant's growth and health, in addition to mine. Extracts from the seeds are antibacterial. And, if you have a cut or minor wound, you can place the petals directly on the wound to help it heal.

There is more--a lot more--and I'm not getting all the use of it that I could, I'm really all about the growing!
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12   #3
DonelleBeira

Quote:
I was advised to use the flowers and seeds combined with cane sugar and lemon juice to make a facial peel. Just put equal parts sugar and flowers in a bowl, and add lemon juice until it's a thick paste. Apply to face and let dry for fifteen minutes. I do not recommend this, AT ALL, unless you have the lighter colored flowers. Mine are dark pink, and stain very badly. Any reasonably intelligent human would've noticed this before applying it to said face, as the flowers stain hands badly, but alas, I'm an idiot.
ROFLMAO til snot flowed freely!

I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny at all but...the telling of it really, truly IS!

Thanks for the info AND the belly laugh!

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12   #4
HRH
Just me

I have a favorite saying, "stupid should hurt." I fully believe this, even when I am the stupid one. I am glad you got a kick out of it. Luckily, since it does cause your face to peel, it doesn't last terribly long...

You were asking about help for diabetic dogs. You know, this plant might be your answer. It would require research to get the dosages right, but I know humans use it for natural insulin. Your plants look a little small, from the photos. I'd probably wait until they flower to use them, but hey, if it works, that would be awesome!
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote