Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > Magical Personalities

Magical Personalities This forum is for discussion of important contributors to modern magic and the occult - including but not limited to Witchcraft and Wicca, Paganism in general, Ritual Magic and Druidry...

Old 05-03-11   #1
David_2010

Default Starhawk

I figured this was the more appropriate place for this thread. I wanted to ask for peoples views on Starhawk, as today I brought
'The Earth Path', 'The Earth Path',
and I'd like to see what others think of her, and/or her work?.

I mainly brought this book because, from the short bits I read of it while in the shop, I liked some of the meditations and rituals she provides, and I like the connection with Nature that her work (or, at least, 'The Earth Path') promotes and helps you find.

I know a lot of Pagans like her book
'The Spiral Dance' 'The Spiral Dance'
, but, from the reads I've had of it in shops, I haven't been that motivated to buy it, as I just didn't connect with it, but, I would like to get other peoples views of her.

Anyway, hope to hear your thoughts on Starhawk and/or her work .
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Starhawk

Starhawk was a very important figure for me in the 80s, when I first got theSpiral Dance. It's a profoundly beautiful book - not everyones cup of tea, a little Dianic for some, but the foundational Inner Work is solid and the theology so lovely. I never connected well with the rituals, but I loved the book, if not her subsequent offerings so much. When I was working with the idea of developing my own tradition of Witchcraft, I wanted the ethics and commitment to social and environmental justice that Starhawk embodies, with the more conventional (if that's the right word) mythos and structure of BTW (especially the farrars, from whom I also took a lot in those days). I felt Starhawkian Craft was so important to the issues facing our world, but then later moved toward Feri; after all, Starhawk was initiated by Victor and Cora Anderson and I became ultimately more attracted to pure Feri, more than Reclaiming. Had I stayed in Witchcraft I would likely have pursued training in that (Feri) tradition.

I love that Starhawk lives her beliefs and has done so much on a practical level to assist those in need. The Earth Path is by far my favorite book from her. although the ideas are not new to me, and I live in the country and practise many similar to her, I still took some ideas and inspiration away. I think it's a fabulous contribution to the literature of modern Paganism. I will be eager to hear your thoughts on it as well.
fera

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11   #3
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

You know try as I might i've never been able to get past her psuedo history she spews. The goddess loving cult that is driven into hiding by the arrival of the warrior gods from the east. The millions of witches killed in the which trials. All of it coupled to and continued in her many triades about feminist propaganda.
Old 05-03-11   #4
feranaja

That's too bad, MonSno. I was bothered by some of what you mention, but not so much I didn't get the good stuff out of it as well. At this point I even forget about that stuff until someone reminds me. I've seen her speak twice - she was very, very male-positive both times.

And you know, whether it's historically accurate or not, the Myth of the Goddess is still spiritually powerful for many women. I don't need the ideals of the myth to be literally true, in order that they represent something meaningful.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-03-11   #5
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I probably would not be half as bothered were it not for the fact my degree is in history. As such I tend to loose interest really quick when the opening premise of a book is based upon psuedo history and makes the claim it is true.

What gets me is there is strong support and material that is enhancing to the women's movement and spiritual growth that has no psuedo history to it at all. Yet so many of the feminist authors push that darn psuedo history. I can't think of a single one I've tired to read that didn't automatically cry about the Gaia figures with their plump bellies and say its proof of a ancient goddess cult. When realility wise we have no idea what they were or what purpose they represented.

of course that also doesn't even really touch upon the notion that "The Craft" was ever a religion. But that seem's to be another facet that is frequenlty pushed especially by Starhawk.
Old 05-03-11   #6
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Wooooooooo! Time for me to speak in drunkeness!

Feminism, particularly pagan feminsim, has always helped men. It helps us escape society's Will.

Starhawk may be daft as a brush - I, myself consider her foolish - but she has helped forge a path to enlightenment which suffices for both men and women so HOORAY for her - let's embrace the future together!

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11   #7
feranaja

Her books were certainly powerful healers for me, and for countless other abuse survivors.

I do actually have a number of Feminist books here that do not claim historical certainty. Anyway - my degree is in Religion, so I'm not that bothered by making things up and acting as if they're "real".

Ruthven, you're demented,.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-03-11   #8
Lightdragon
pagan

The Spiral Dance was one of the books i had to read for a Wicca 101 course i took in 2003. I did buy the 20th anniversary Edition and i found the notes quite useful than the main book. also it is interesting to note the progress and belief changes one goes through over the years.

i couldn't get into it but looking at this book years later i still can't but find some of the words beautiful though.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11   #9
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Her books were certainly powerful healers for me, and for countless other abuse survivors.

I do actually have a number of Feminist books here that do not claim historical certainty. Anyway - my degree is in Religion, so I'm not that bothered by making things up and acting as if they're "real".

Ruthven, you're demented,.
How about some titles?

I suppose where Starhawk is concerned for me its a matter of when one starts out with a lie and fantasy no matter how you dress it in the end its still just a lie and a fantasy to support the whole house, that's how I have especially found her Spiral Dance book to be. Those do not surive the test of time or truth from a historical perspective.

Yes they tend to last longer as joe public bies into the fable but in academia they fall away pretty quickly. Then those who site them tend to loose all creditability in the process.

But still I suppose we can accept the fable of her burning times and the numbers as well.
Old 05-03-11   #10
feranaja

I think we get that you feel great distaste for Starhawk, MonSno.

Shane Parrish